Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United FRA-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:29 am
Original Poster

United FRA-SFO

hy guys i am booked on United from Frankfurt to SFO. i have done the same route on Lufthansa before, it could be described as "minimal"to say the least.

i have never flown international on United, my ticket says that equipment used is a 747. can any one share their experinces on this flight with me? how is it compared to Lufthansa? is their any premium economy availabe on this flight? and if so how and when can i upgrade myself into premium economy?

thnx
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by sanhin2
hy guys i am booked on United from Frankfurt to SFO. i have done the same route on Lufthansa before, it could be described as "minimal"to say the least.

i have never flown international on United, my ticket says that equipment used is a 747. can any one share their experinces on this flight with me? how is it compared to Lufthansa? is their any premium economy availabe on this flight? and if so how and when can i upgrade myself into premium economy?

thnx
If you purchased this ticket through united.com, you can go to your "my itineraries" page and click on the "travel options" tab - you should be offered an opportunity to upgrade yourself to EconomyPlus.

I have never flown this route, so will let others comment on that.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:57 am

Just so you're aware, UA's equivalent of "Premium Economy" called Economy Plus simply gives you a seat with a few inches more legroom (not width), and there is no difference in meal or cabin service, which is very basic.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
To find the best seat

Be sure to visit seatguru.com and look up United's 747 configurations. You can get some insight into how comfortable your seat will be . . or guidance for how to pick an even better seat.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:35 am

I've taken this flight the other way round, i.e. SFO-FRA. As far as I remember, the airplane was old, but ok. The flight had a delay of ~1.5 hours, which was compensated for with free drinks. As I had a connection in FRA, it did not matter too much anyway. I don't think Lufthansa is a really great airline either, so it might not make a big difference. I don't think the E+ Upgrade is worth it though, you might get it anyway as the plane is usually full and they need to move some people to better seats ...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:59 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
As others have noted, E+ isn't really an upgrade -- it's the same food, (lack of) IFE, and so on as the rest of the economy cabin. The only difference is more legroom, which is significant on some planes but not 744's. It's not worth the buy-up IMO. Buying up to C is worth it, however, particularly if the plane has the new seats, but even with the old La-Z-Boy seats.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
E+ on a 747 isn't much of a product. E+ on a 777 feels much more roomy.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mre5765
E+ on a 747 isn't much of a product. E+ on a 777 feels much more roomy.
It actually *is* more roomy. The seats are an inch wider on the 777, and the 2-5-2 seating configuration doesn't feel quite as dense as the 3-4-3 on the 747. Unless, of course, you're in the middle of a block of 5 seats...

On the 747, the video monitor is shared. No personal, seat-back TV screens. In this regard, UA is only slightly better than United: United has programming for the whole flight, unlike Lufthansa, which often turns off the movies for some period of time.

Although buying up to Economy Plus is a good idea, you might also consider waiting until 24 hours before the flight, then requesting a seat in the first row of Coach. Those seats are held back for special-needs customers. If they aren't assigned by check-in time, they're made available to all Economy passengers. It's a good way to get a bulkhead seat in the quietest part of the Coach cabin.

I hope you have a good trip!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Although buying up to Economy Plus is a good idea, you might also consider waiting until 24 hours before the flight, then requesting a seat in the first row of Coach. Those seats are held back for special-needs customers. If they aren't assigned by check-in time, they're made available to all Economy passengers. It's a good way to get a bulkhead seat in the quietest part of the Coach cabin.
Those seats, while E-, are the last vestiges of the old Premier Zone. I think you need status to reserve them.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
As SFO is my home port, and I fly to FRA (or used to) a lot, I've taken this many times. 747's suck. 3-4-3 config leaves you with really no good seat in Y. 777's have the 2 on the wings, which is good. If you can get 36G, that's my preferred 747 Y seat as it's bulkhead aisle (right). Maybe you can get lucky and get an empty middle row.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:14 am

There's no bigger hell on earth than a UAL 747 in economy class. I'd rather fly a CRJ across the pond. Not only is there no individual personal entertainment, but the plane's disgusting and old.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Those seats, while E-, are the last vestiges of the old Premier Zone. I think you need status to reserve them.
Nope. I have reserved them for family members with no status before.
---
RE: UA SFO-FRA

I have taken my last midday overseas flight (*fingers crossed*). At least I can get a couple hours of sleep on evening departures, but on the afternoon SFO-FRA service, I feel horrible the following afternoon in Germany, no matter what cabin I journeyed in.

Originally Posted by stupidhead
There's no bigger hell on earth than a UAL 747 in economy class. I'd rather fly a CRJ across the pond. Not only is there no individual personal entertainment, but the plane's disgusting and old.
I hope you're joking. I'll take E- over a CRJ.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

I hope you're joking. I'll take E- over a CRJ.
At least the CRJ is more or less new and isn't disgusting and old.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by stupidhead
At least the CRJ is more or less new and isn't disgusting and old.
I think you're exaggerating a bit. I have done quite a few trips on UA 747s in economy plus, and while it's certainly not as "comfortable" as on the 777, I have never felt that the age of the aircraft mattered. And maybe it was pure luck, but on transatlantic flights I haven't really had any problems with "dirty" cabins (I assume that's what you're referring to by disgusting). On the other hand, on those quick-turn CRJ runs within CA I have found all kinds of interesting things in my seat pocket.

And given the choice of LH Y and UA E+ on the SFO-FRA route, I always take UA, even on the 747. The few inches of extra space do matter to me.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hs.sfbay
I've taken this flight the other way round, i.e. SFO-FRA. As far as I remember, the airplane was old, but ok. ...
UA SFO-FRA/FRA-SFO is using the new config (so select the right one in seatguru - 747 version 2) -- not much change in economy, LCD screen (cabin, not personal) versus the old projector approach
However, a lot fewer E+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.