Wiki Posts
Search

United Banned at My Company

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2000, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

United Banned at My Company

All-

I am so depressed. We just received an email from my company effectively forbidding us to fly UA unless absolutely necessary. Apparently we have negotiated contracts with AA, CO, US and DL but UA has not been willing to give the same discount (around 20%). We were told that AA flies most of the same routes and that we should use them as their fares are more reasonable in the first place and with the added discount...

It also says that based upon the company's study, UA has the highest fares of any airline that the company uses. They figure they will save many millions by banning UA from our travel.

This is a company of over 30,000 employees worldwide. If this catches on, yours might be next.

United-What is wrong with you????

Old Jun 28, 2000, 2:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
That SUCKS. Our hearts go out to you!

[This message has been edited by kokonutz (edited 06-28-2000).]
Old Jun 28, 2000, 3:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
I'm always able to get a UA fare within 5-10 dollars of AA. But with a discount who knows, Me thinks it's time to look for a new company. How's that for airline loyalty.

------------------
Cheers Scott
Old Jun 28, 2000, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

"This is a company of over 30,000 employees worldwide. If this catches on, yours might be next."

Odd though, as we have about 40,000 people and our UA discount is much higher than 20%.
Old Jun 28, 2000, 3:53 pm

It seems odd that in an industry that aggressively matches competitors' fares that United chooses to operate with a handicap on corporate discounts, making it hard for even their loyal fliers to travel on UA flights. I have a similar corporate travel policy challenge, except that United discounts are valid when there are no AA or DL (or sometimes US, CO or NW) flights at a similar time. Since my very large company is based in the Eastern U.S. (where travel policy is set), I am hoping that United will be able to make an offer that cannot be refused if the US Air takeover goes through. In the meantime, it takes a bit of extra work to fly on United and avoid American's tiny planes out of Chicago.

Extra work, but not impossible: I have not been forced into an American flight in over a year, and I have always gotten just as low of a discounted fare on United as the discounted American fare.
Old Jun 28, 2000, 4:41 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
I defy our company policy on travel. I make my own arrangements instead of using the corporate mandated agency because they have simply screwed up too many things too many times. If they can't even get my name right on a reservation, time and time again, how can I expect them to handle a change of my itinerary? The 1K desk is much more valuable to me. I also don't fly the corporate mandated airline, even though they've offered me an elite-match. How's that for loyalty?
Old Jun 28, 2000, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
UA is not on the list of preferred airlines with my company either, despite my many attempts to urge negotiations with both sides.

I just take the tickets issued to me and have them endorsed to UA, sometimes paying extra out of my own pocket (thank God for vouchers). So far so good...
Old Jun 28, 2000, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Indurain-

Can you give me an example of how you get the tickets endorsed from say AA to UA? Are these only fully Y or close to it?

Thanks,
ORDJR
Old Jun 28, 2000, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
I thought endorsements of nonrefundables were rare events. Is there a secret trick here?
Old Jun 28, 2000, 7:20 pm
Original Member

Ordjr

Why not print out the email and send it into United (anonymously) explaining that you are an employee of your company (name your employer and provide their address for contact) and that this policy has just been brought in by your management and you thought United should be made aware of it.

When you explain that your company has so many employees it may be that United will offer them a special discount to get them onboard.

As I said earlier send it anonymously - you have nothing to lose and perhaps United will catch on that they could get a lot of business very quickly and easily. Your employer would benefit also from any offer United put to them.

I'm not sure who you should send it to in United. Perhaps someone else can help.

cheers Peter

Old Jun 28, 2000, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
I work for a Chicago based company with about 17,000 employees and we have a pretty savvy travel unit that has negotiated a deal with United well in excess of 20% off mentionned.

I think at this point, the only thing you can do (besides changing jobs) is to contact American about receiving an equal status. This is how I started on United several years ago when I switched employers (old employer liked AA, new employer UA).

[This message has been edited by ChiFlyer (edited 06-28-2000).]
Old Jun 28, 2000, 8:17 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
ffhound: if you find anyone at United that you can email, and receive a response from -- someone in a position of responsibility who is more than just an email response clerk - I'd love to get that person's name. And i am sure the rest of the posters could pass along some ideas/comments/suggestions too.
Gary
Old Jun 28, 2000, 9:07 pm

ffhound,that strategy works well....I can't imagine UA would not try and negotiate a deal with a company of that size. Our company has 32% discount with UA and that is what prompted my move from AA to UA. But I have never looked back. The Platinum Desk at AA even agreed to match that discount on an individual basis but by that time it was too late for me. I would certainly talk to as many people and as high up in the company as possible, best of luck.

Old Jun 28, 2000, 10:22 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think that UA has always been a "premium" airline in that it doesn't lower its fares often or do a significant amount of consolidator business, unlike carriers such as US or TW, etc.

I think it also resists the "Southwest" effect. I.e. when Southwest appeared on the scene, and began undercutting the majors' profits by forcing them to match fares at their airports, United was one of the airlines which resisted this trend -- saying that if you want full service, you pay for it, and thus forcing people to decide between low price or the UA brand.

As for corporate discounting and arrangements there, I don't have much experience in these areas...
Old Jun 28, 2000, 10:46 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
TA:

Wait til the Shuttle comes to the East Coast...then you no longer have to choose between a full service airline and low fares....(you get neither??)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.