Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's A320 failing once again!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2000, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Delta Platinum, UAL 1K+Club, Natl Emerald Exec, NEXUS/Pre/Global Entry
United's A320 failing once again!

I was on UA607 ord-sfo today. It showed delayed. So I sat in the RCC and checked the monitor every once in awhile. 35 minutes after scheduled departure it showed 'boarding' so I went down and sure enough they're boarding the plane.
Well, we're all ready to go or so we think. We're sitting around awhile wondering what's going on and the Captain announces 'We have a problem with a part and we'll know by 11:30'. I asked someone who waited at the gate and they said that was the first notice they'd heard about anything mechanical wrong with the plane.

11:35 I ask an FA what the result of the 'decision' was. Captain then comes back on and says it looks like 11:50 we'll know. 11:50 he says the part is coming in maybe we'll know 12:30....long story short we take off around 2pm. I'd called the 1P desk and they said 'no available flights until 5:45.' What a waste of a day.

I thought I was flying American! My experience with UA is that they are fairly timely with status updates and if they're not, they let you know when the next update will be given.

But my next point: the A320. I've flown the A320 12-15 times over the last year and 4 of those times we've been delayed (twice) or cancelled (twice) due to mechanical. What has been your experience with the A320? Is my experience a typical sample of their reliability? Does UAL skimp on proactive maintenance? Or am I (sob sob) freakishly unlucky?!?

I figure they fly those things enough they'd have a nice database of MTBFs built up by now. I otherwise find them to be comfortable, love the adjustable headrests and the exit rows are a dream.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 9:01 pm
Original Member

I've had more mechanical delays on 777's than A320's. But of course the winner by far are the DC10's.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I haven't had too many A320 mechanicals that I can recall... most of mine are old 747s and D10s. The "mechanical" situations occur with the inflight entertainment on A320s. Chronically. There's a "trick" which some crews know, some don't, and one snapped at me for trying to be helpful and tell her how to fix the system.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My user name tells it all..... AC has a fleet of 34 A320's. In over 300 plus flights on AC A320's, I only encoutered one delay due to mechanical problems. Perhaps I was fortunate.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 6:32 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
IME, A320 are reliable (0 mechanicals in about 15 A320 flights so far this year). I'm just sick of flying all the way across the country in them with their non-functional laptop plugs and no movie choices...
Old Jun 13, 2000, 6:58 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I do not fly UA often, but I do fly the Airbuses often. I find they are usually very good. Compare them to DL/ASA prop maint failures and you are playing golf in heaven.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 7:10 am
Original Member

Never had a problem with an Airbus.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
Not only have I never had a problem with the Airbus, but I love them. In my experience they are reliable, and for a single-aisle plane spectacularly comfortable on coach, particularly in the Economy Plus section. I eagerly scan the new timetable every month just in case the tired 737 has been replaced by the A320 on the IAD-LGA route (they make the change about twice a year - and I love those 2 month periods ).
Old Jun 13, 2000, 8:16 am
Original Member

Programs: United Silver, Delta Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Given all of UA's recent labor troubles, I wonder if that was the *real* reason for the continuous delays. Especially if no one outside the plane had heard of a maintenance problem. It was probably the pilot waiting for a co-pilot who never showed up.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 8:18 am

Never had a problem with a 320 yet. Been delayed a few times on older 777's.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 9:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I can only mention one problem with the 320.

When I was an FA in my younger days there were frequent complaints from FA's in the back crew seats of nausea during take offs and landings.

I never did find out what the problem was, though I suspect it had a lot to do with excessive yaw during climb out and approaches.

As a passenger I am pretty fond of them.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 10:40 am

If United is having problems with the Airbus, it is either bad luck or the way United maintains that type of aircraft. The lack of choice of movies on the trans con flights is not an Airbus problem but a United problem.

If you have a problems with a certain type of aircraft (ie seat layout, breakdowns, number of bathrooms etc etc), 90% of the time it is due to the airline not the aircraft.

The one exception is between the Boeing 737 and Airbus 319 series. The Airbus is 6 inches wider making the seat width more comfortable.
Old Jun 13, 2000, 11:34 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
Although I'm not a United fan, I do try to book myself on the A320 vs. 727/737/757 whenever I have to fly them. I've never had a mechanical problem with the a/c.

But, as a slightly related topic, flying on a NW 320 vs. a UA 320 seems like night and day. NW's 320s are HORRIBLE (i.e., no extra seat width, no video, increased noise, etc.)
Old Jun 13, 2000, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
I'm amazed at the NW 320's!!! That has to be crazy customer relations - taking a plane with deliberately designed extra width and NOT passing it onto the seat width's....... presumably that was to avoid paying extra money for new seat designs?
Old Jun 13, 2000, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I think you got it in 1, emu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.