$250 change fee

Old Nov 4, 08, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
$250 change fee

My bigger complaint about UA is not the current award or 500 mile change, but the excessive fees charged to change or cancel tickets. Many of my plans get changed once or even twice and I am getting killed by these fees. UA charges more LAX-ICN then OZ, has worse product, and adds these fees which OZ doesn't have. Also, SQ, MY, and OZ don't screw the last minute flyers by doubling the prices. I choose UA for the upgrades and MP, but I have to reconsider. UA wants the profit from int'l business flyers, but they need to stay competitive.
Old Nov 4, 08, 12:27 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
You've already posted this - it was moved to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=#post10631842
Old Nov 4, 08, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
I posted to that thread by mistake. As it seemes to be off topic, I posted it as a new thread.
Old Nov 4, 08, 2:59 pm

Sounds like you'd benefit from buying refundable tickets.

Can you explain why one of your 'smaller' complaints is the 500 mile change? (gee, I guess you can't please some people...)
Old Nov 4, 08, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by United737522 View Post
Can you explain why one of your 'smaller' complaints is the 500 mile change?
It is for many of us. Not everyone lives near (or flies to) airports where it makes any difference at all.
Old Nov 4, 08, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
While I agree that the change fees are a bit out of control with good ol'United .... OZ does not have the better coach product than UA does. Not at all.

Last edited by weero; Nov 4, 08 at 4:47 pm Reason: OZ of course, not OS - thanks for the input FTer!
Old Nov 4, 08, 8:12 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
It is for many of us. Not everyone lives near (or flies to) airports where it makes any difference at all.
Yea, I couldn't believe how happy people were to have the 500mi minimum back, when it came at the same time as horrible devaluations.

I have to connect through Dulles all the time, and the 500mi r/t that the lack of minimum cost me will certainly be offset many times over by the extra 20k the award will now cost to have it back.
Old Nov 4, 08, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
A $250 dollar change fee on international ints has been the standard for a while now in the US. This is by no means UA specific.
Old Nov 4, 08, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Change fee from DEN to GRU & GIG $300.00.
Old Nov 4, 08, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was booked HKG-NRT-SFO in upgraded C. Day before, upgraded C on HKG-SFO opened up -- back then I happily paid $100 to save a few hour stopover, now I tend to doubt I would pay $250 (except for seating difference, i.e. new vs. old) even though the change could actually save UA money.
Old Nov 4, 08, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by foothill View Post
I posted to that thread by mistake. As it seemes to be off topic, I posted it as a new thread.
No... you created a new thread, and a MOD saw it fit to roll it into the larger thread, pretty bold move creating the same thread again (MODS tend to frown a bit on that one) .

Anyway, as others have mentioned... If you have tendencies to change/cancel tickets: you would benefit by purchasing changeable/refundable tickets.
Old Nov 5, 08, 3:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Why do you book so early if you know your plan will change? The cheap fare have many restrictions so airlines can predict/secure the load of the flight, better inventory management.
Old Nov 5, 08, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beanex View Post
Why do you book so early if you know your plan will change? The cheap fare have many restrictions so airlines can predict/secure the load of the flight, better inventory management.
But until just a few years ago even those could be changed for free on international flights (assuming replacement was even $1 higher fare). I took advantage of that and loved it.
Old Nov 5, 08, 5:24 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weero View Post
While I agree that the change fees are a bit out of control with good ol'United .... OZ does not have the better coach product than UA does. Not at all.
I have to disagree here. Even though the cabin isnt named E+ the offering of food, service and general experience is far higher than UA's.

The seat pitch is comparable as well.

Flew OZ 2 weeks ago and it was a nice experience !
Old Nov 5, 08, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
Yea, I couldn't believe how happy people were to have the 500mi minimum back, when it came at the same time as horrible devaluations.
... because in a comprehensive package of changes there are good and bad elements. Hence the happy outrage dichotomy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: