FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   $250 change fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/885170-250-change-fee.html)

foothill Nov 4, 08 12:03 pm

$250 change fee
 
My bigger complaint about UA is not the current award or 500 mile change, but the excessive fees charged to change or cancel tickets. Many of my plans get changed once or even twice and I am getting killed by these fees. UA charges more LAX-ICN then OZ, has worse product, and adds these fees which OZ doesn't have. Also, SQ, MY, and OZ don't screw the last minute flyers by doubling the prices. I choose UA for the upgrades and MP, but I have to reconsider. UA wants the profit from int'l business flyers, but they need to stay competitive.

6rugrats Nov 4, 08 12:27 pm

You've already posted this - it was moved to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=#post10631842

foothill Nov 4, 08 2:16 pm

I posted to that thread by mistake. As it seemes to be off topic, I posted it as a new thread.

United737522 Nov 4, 08 2:59 pm

Sounds like you'd benefit from buying refundable tickets.

Can you explain why one of your 'smaller' complaints is the 500 mile change? (gee, I guess you can't please some people...)

mahasamatman Nov 4, 08 4:00 pm


Originally Posted by United737522 (Post 10634500)
Can you explain why one of your 'smaller' complaints is the 500 mile change?

It is for many of us. Not everyone lives near (or flies to) airports where it makes any difference at all.

weero Nov 4, 08 4:08 pm

While I agree that the change fees are a bit out of control with good ol'United .... OZ does not have the better coach product than UA does. Not at all.

stevenshev Nov 4, 08 8:12 pm


Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 10635649)
It is for many of us. Not everyone lives near (or flies to) airports where it makes any difference at all.

Yea, I couldn't believe how happy people were to have the 500mi minimum back, when it came at the same time as horrible devaluations.

I have to connect through Dulles all the time, and the 500mi r/t that the lack of minimum cost me will certainly be offset many times over by the extra 20k the award will now cost to have it back.

grahampros Nov 4, 08 8:30 pm

A $250 dollar change fee on international ints has been the standard for a while now in the US. This is by no means UA specific.

Pegasus23 Nov 4, 08 8:40 pm

Change fee from DEN to GRU & GIG $300.00.

RichardInSF Nov 4, 08 8:55 pm

I was booked HKG-NRT-SFO in upgraded C. Day before, upgraded C on HKG-SFO opened up -- back then I happily paid $100 to save a few hour stopover, now I tend to doubt I would pay $250 (except for seating difference, i.e. new vs. old) even though the change could actually save UA money.

jhayes_1780 Nov 4, 08 8:57 pm


Originally Posted by foothill (Post 10633858)
I posted to that thread by mistake. As it seemes to be off topic, I posted it as a new thread.

No... you created a new thread, and a MOD saw it fit to roll it into the larger thread, pretty bold move creating the same thread again (MODS tend to frown a bit on that one) :eek:.

Anyway, as others have mentioned... If you have tendencies to change/cancel tickets: you would benefit by purchasing changeable/refundable tickets.

beanex Nov 5, 08 3:13 am

Why do you book so early if you know your plan will change? The cheap fare have many restrictions so airlines can predict/secure the load of the flight, better inventory management.

uastarflyer Nov 5, 08 3:54 am


Originally Posted by beanex (Post 10643563)
Why do you book so early if you know your plan will change? The cheap fare have many restrictions so airlines can predict/secure the load of the flight, better inventory management.

But until just a few years ago even those could be changed for free on international flights (assuming replacement was even $1 higher fare). I took advantage of that and loved it.

skywalkerLAX Nov 5, 08 5:24 am


Originally Posted by weero (Post 10635779)
While I agree that the change fees are a bit out of control with good ol'United .... OZ does not have the better coach product than UA does. Not at all.

I have to disagree here. Even though the cabin isnt named E+ the offering of food, service and general experience is far higher than UA's.

The seat pitch is comparable as well.

Flew OZ 2 weeks ago and it was a nice experience !

anc-ord772 Nov 5, 08 7:58 am


Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 10638840)
Yea, I couldn't believe how happy people were to have the 500mi minimum back, when it came at the same time as horrible devaluations.

... because in a comprehensive package of changes there are good and bad elements. Hence the happy outrage dichotomy.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:04 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.