Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$250 change fee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I got whacked $250 twice on the same ticket for change fees. It really sucks when the fee is placed on an Int'l B fare.
-UFFA
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
I normally book flights about 2-3 weeks prior, but sometimes my customers change plans at the last moment. Refundable fares don't help with changing plans. For me it is so much more pleasant to deal with airlines such as SQ where the fares don't change every day, last minute fares are the same, and I'm not hit with so many extra fees. Why should UA make the discount fares have 2 week adv. purchase if the flights are empty? Why charge $250 if there is no cost (or even > $250 savings) to UA? With last minute plans I usually end up going OZ or MY (Malaysia Air).

Here's an idea: drop the change fee for elite MP. At the minimum it should be dropped for B/M/H fares.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:02 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
Crazy logic!

Let me get this right, if I want to go up in fare basis, say from L to W on an intl leg to bet on an SWU clearing, I pay the fare difference AND get popped with a $250 change fee. BUT if I wanted to go down in fare basis, say from W to L, and there was L space available, UA would refund the fare difference and charge no change fee.

Crazy. I want to buy a higher fare and they charge me a change fee (even though itin and aircraft remain the same). I want to move to a lower fare and they refund the difference. So, OK I guess their cash flow problems are not just fuel price driven. I get it now....
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, UA LT Gold, Hyatt Glob, Delta Dia, Hilton Dia
international change ticket fees

Called into united today and was wanting to change my return date on a international ticket i have from hong kong but they want to charge me 250 for the change ticket fee along with the difference with the airticket fee. Was thinking the change ticket fee is kind of steep and was wondering if there is anyway to avoid this fee or cost?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That's been the standard change fee for years. The only way to avoid it is to have purchased a changeable/refundable ticket in the first place. Sorry.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by mjh69
Called into united today and was wanting to change my return date on a international ticket i have from hong kong but they want to charge me 250 for the change ticket fee along with the difference with the airticket fee. Was thinking the change ticket fee is kind of steep and was wondering if there is anyway to avoid this fee or cost?
I did change my date on my future flight this month, called 1K desk, they want to charge $150, I hanged up and call Web support Indian CS and they were happy to give me one time examption no charge.

Good luck to you.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mjh69
You will most certainly be able to avoid paying this fee by flying on the flights on the dates you booked. When you did so, you agreed to the rules and terms of the ticket, which explain what the change fees were. $250 for a change fee is standard for international tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.