Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2009 MP Changes - UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites and New Award Redemption Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 MP Changes - UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites and New Award Redemption Rules

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kb1992
The upgrade war will intensify next year when any GM can upgrade by buying cheapest fare, spending some miles and presenting a credit card for co-pay.
Right, but given how increasingly stingy IM has been with NF/NC space, I'm not too worried about this... Status will still trump them and their copays.

What I'm wondering is what happens to the T&Cs of SWUs. GMs will be able upgrade any fare with a copay but SWUs will still only be good on W and up?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Now that they want 40% more miles for my Business class ticket to SE Asia, I HOPE THEY FINALLY RELEASE SOME SEATS!
This is, of course, the big question. Increased redemption levels plus Starnet blocking won't go over too well.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Is it not fair to assume that upgrades from cheap Y fares will further erode the value of elite benefits, such as a possibility to upgrade with SWUs.
At least that would seem to be the case if you release upgrades far in advance.

Also, it seems easier now to book an award in C/F on Lufthansa or Asiana now than United (from my experience). They are holding on those seats as if the whole fleet has been re-configured already! On the other hand they may hold those premium seats till much closer to flight to sort out possible upgrades later on as there will be more upgraders.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium?
Anyone care to predict if the copay for upgrade will vary significantly from the upgrades offered at checkin for cash? If this is the path we are on, UA has found an interesting way of depleting the redeamable miles in existence without impacting their bottom line.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
The problem with co-pay on international fares is that for people like me who work for companies with economy-only travel policies, the co-pay will come out of my pocket. Previously I've been able to book the appropriate fare via the corporate trave agent and while I paid the miles for the upgrade, it cost me no cash.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
If you read it carefully, they are applying the 500 mile minimum to elites retroactively so it's like it never went away!

"And, this policy change will be applied retroactively to United flights flown between July 1, 2008, and December 31, 2008. By the end of this year, we will update the flights flown as an elite member during that time. The update will apply the 500-mile minimum (for redeemable miles and Elite Qualifying Miles) and will adjust any class-of-service bonuses, elite bonuses and promotional bonuses."
wow, this is big news. makes me happy.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:47 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by zrs70
What makes it a bit frustrating is that the retroactive miles may not post until Dec 31. I'm not sure if I will reach 150K by then!
I think a lot of us will be making a spreadsheet showing what we will have once everything is reapplied retroactively. I do know that I did a wasted MR to get me over the 1K threshold as it would not have been needed with the restored rules.

And as I posted in the previous thread right before it was closed. I think we won the battle but lost the war.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Why would people buy M/H fares?

Just buy cheapest S/L/K (the fare difference should more than offset the co-pay, besides, you pay less miles).
Might depend: the copay reads $ 250 - $ 500! Could not find any more details about it. It looks like, they are still trying to determine, which fare base will be charged which amount. I'd be willing to bet that S,T, L classes are coming in at $ 500, e.g. $ 1000 roundtrip.

A further open question remains re Y/B upgrades, stating $ 0 - 200. So, Y = no copay, B = $ 200?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:50 pm

Does this move effectively devalue SWUs?

Before 7/1/09, it takes 30k RDM + YBMH fare differential.

After 7/1/09, it will take 20k (Europe) - 30k (OZ) RDM + $250-500, but can be used on any fare class.

Seems to me that in most/all cases, these changes will make upgrading with RDMs cheaper. If so, are SWUs effectively devalued? On CC, for example, the going rate has been 30K RDM, with the logic being that it would take that many miles to upgrade but you save the YBMH-W differential. If you remove the latter, it seems to me SWUs are inherently less valuable.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: Some good, some bad
Originally Posted by as219
and it's definitely bad news for those who like to redem premium *A awards.
For someone like me who rarely flies routes less than 500 miles and who uses miles only for premium *A awards and to upgrade from B fares to NC, and from C/D fares to F, this really stinks.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
wow, this is big news. makes me happy.
Yeah, the retroactive application of the 500-mile minimum makes it like the whole nightmare never happened!

I don't understand why they didn't just say, "Flights credited Nov. 3 or after are subject to the new 500-mile minimum."
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:53 pm

I'm not sure I want to pay up to 500 dollars for the "privilege" of sitting in C or upgrading with miles within the US. I also really am miffed about the increase in premium *A awards. For the little guys, those who make status for fun and for awards, out of our own pockets (well, my considerably less deep pocket), this blows. Screw these losers. I'm going to Delta. Who wants my SWUs?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by as219
What I'm wondering is what happens to the T&Cs of SWUs. GMs will be able upgrade any fare with a copay but SWUs will still only be good on W and up?
Good point, as219! Personally I am fine with keeping SWUs at W and higher.
BTW, does AA not face the same issue with their VIPOWs?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:58 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by PanHam
I'm not sure I want to pay up to 500 dollars for the "privilege" of sitting in C. Screw these losers. I'm going to Delta. Who wants my SWUs?

For most members an upgrade will be the cost of the ticket, plus the fuel surcharge, plus the 25,000 miles, plus up to $500?

INSANE
I thought it was a loyalty REWARD program.

REALITY,

I'm paying for an economy ticket to SE Asia, add the $1000 upgrade fee ($500 ea way), and the 25,000 miles per direction, and suddenly I'm paying much more for upgrading my economy ticket.

If I book on another carrier, I can come close to getting a business class ticket (saving the miles altogether).

Last edited by seanthepilot; Nov 3, 2008 at 6:39 pm
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Good point, as219! VIPOWs?
Very Important Prisoners of War?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.