FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   What to expect on EXplus CRJ 700? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/882211-what-expect-explus-crj-700-a.html)

dimramon Jan 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Longer ExPlus Flights - Worth it to upgrade to F?

I will be flying DEN-SBA-LAX and I was wondering if it's worth upgrading the Explus leg of the flight. If so, what can I expect?

lucky9876coins Jan 13, 2008 12:41 pm

What time are you flying? In general I think upgrades are always worth it, but it all depends on what you would otherwise use the upgrades for/whether your low on upgrades. You can expect a bigger seat, free drinks, and maybe a snackbox.

dimramon Jan 13, 2008 12:44 pm

I generally use my 500 milers for my DEN-IAD trips on the 777. I generally don't have a lot of opportunity to use my 500 milers because most of my flights are on TED.
The flight is leaving around 6PM. I was wondering if I'd get a snack of some sort.

rch4u Jan 13, 2008 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 9060907)
The flight is leaving around 6PM. I was wondering if I'd get a snack of some sort.

At ~915 miles, this flight should have explus F snackboxes available.

FBKSan Jan 13, 2008 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 9060961)
At ~915 miles, this flight should have explus F snackboxes available.

Just flew DEN-SBA in F and indeed received a snack box. (Snack Box = St. Dalfour pasta and veggies, mixed nuts, pretzels, raspberry honey mustard sauce, fruit juice 'nuggets'). Seats are moderately better, and of course free drinks.

I thought the upgrade was worth it, although I'm still in the 2P upgrade-whenever-humanly-possible mode. (Is that 1P mode, as well?)

Hmbrglar Jan 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by FBKSan (Post 9061232)
I thought the upgrade was worth it, although I'm still in the 2P upgrade-whenever-humanly-possible mode. (Is that 1P mode, as well?)

It is for this Humble 1P! Although I usually only try to upgrade on my flights coming home at the end of the week. I need those free beers :D

phllax Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

Longer ExPlus Flights - Worth it to upgrade to F?

Just wondering if anyone has done some of the longer LAX based ExPlus flights like DSM and ICT. Is it worth it to upgrade to F, or is Economy Plus enough to keep you from going nuts? Do they have the snack box options for Y?

I also noticed on flightaware that DSM-LAX has been coming in at nearly 4 hours lately! Should I scrap the non-stop all together and use mainline via DEN?

Leela Mar 25, 2008 10:02 am

I hate the exPlus thing so much that I upgraded to F just going from SNA to SFO.

SEA1K4EVR Mar 25, 2008 10:03 am

I like upgrading on exPlus... well worth it. I especially like the solo A seats where no one sits next to you. The snack boxes are OK and you are served drinks in plastic cups.. but I've had good service on my few exPlus flights and found F to be quite enjoyable. Plus.. F is better than Y ANYTIME.

work2fly Mar 25, 2008 10:07 am

I'd take 1A on a CR-7 or E70 over many other domestic F seats.

And yes, it's worth the upgrade.

xj47 Mar 25, 2008 10:15 am

I've upgraded DAY-DEN on exPlus... nearly 3 hours. The booze is nice, but what I really appreciate is not having to twist my shoulders for the entire flight. I always end up with a sore neck whenever I don't upgrade and the seat next to me isn't open.

That said, I still usually save the e500s for lunch/dinner DEN-SJC/SFO/LAX flights on my beloved 757.

Buster CT1K Mar 25, 2008 10:24 am

Yes, explus F is worth it to avoid awful CRJ Y.

lucky9876coins Mar 25, 2008 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K (Post 9462658)
Yes, explus F is worth it to avoid awful CRJ Y.

Well said, totally agree!^

BongoVIP Mar 25, 2008 10:45 am

I always upgrade and look for seat 1A. The snack boxes are nothing to write home about, but the extra room and free drinks are good.

The only other downside on those CR7's is it is a long way back to the "rest ranch" and with the drink cart in the aisle and others trying to use it, you almost have to run for it or make a reservation.

u600213 Mar 25, 2008 10:45 am

For seating comfort its worth it to upgrade. I dislike CRJ700's as flown by Skywest and Mesa because they have chosen to not provide a forward lavatory.

Also usually no limes for G&T