Flight 842 - GRU - ORD diverted in flight

Old Oct 26, 08, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Flight 842 - GRU - ORD diverted in flight

Hi,

I was making plans to meet an associate who left Sao Paulo Saturday night aboard flight 842 to Chicago. However, when checking United's site to see if the flight left on time, the site said the plane was diverted to Manaus for a mechanical.

Does anyone have an idea what caused this situation? Does anyone have an idea how I can find more information about the aircraft other than to call United?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 26, 08, 5:53 am

Diverted due to a mechanical. If you need additional information I would recommend calling UA.
Old Oct 26, 08, 6:24 am

New arrival time

Flight landed in MAO at 0:07 and left at 2:30. Scheduled to arrive at 8:00am.

Info: http://www.unitedcargo.com/utilities/cp1/fltInfo.jsp
Old Nov 3, 08, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA BIS Million Miler, AA Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Prez, Avis First
Wink I was actually on this doomed plane...

For me well let's just say the last 48hrs of my trip have been the most unexpected and nice turnaround I've ever had. My Saturday outbound plane from Sao Paulo Brazil made and emergency landing in Manaus Brazil. We lost 2 of 3 generators and with no power on the plane's main cabin caused us to land immediately. Quite a ride. Fire trucks & police on the runway, the whole bit. After spending a day in Manaus we finally were given clearance to go home. On the same plane. Sooo finally we leave and they are handing out tickets on the plane for you connection in little envelopes and guess what? They hand me mine and NO tickets were inside. I thought to myself, "Oh isn't this nice." Landing in Chicago at 8am I wind my way through security and end up at a ticket counter to discover my fate. A 13-hr layover. I smile and think to myself, "Why not?" After checking with the guy about code shares and standbys (it really helps to know the lingo here by the way) the guy puts me in First Class out to Denver and then in Coach back to Austin. I got home at 8pm.

So the moral of the story is if you have to fly from Sao Paulo, to Manaus, to Chicago, to Denver, to Austin. Bring a pillow. Cause all you want to do is sleep the whole fricken way!
Old Nov 3, 08, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmoran28 View Post
For me well let's just say the last 48hrs of my trip have been the most unexpected and nice turnaround I've ever had. My Saturday outbound plane from Sao Paulo Brazil made and emergency landing in Manaus Brazil. We lost 2 of 3 generators and with no power on the plane's main cabin caused us to land immediately. Quite a ride. Fire trucks & police on the runway, the whole bit. After spending a day in Manaus we finally were given clearance to go home. On the same plane. Sooo finally we leave and they are handing out tickets on the plane for you connection in little envelopes and guess what? They hand me mine and NO tickets were inside. I thought to myself, "Oh isn't this nice." Landing in Chicago at 8am I wind my way through security and end up at a ticket counter to discover my fate. A 13-hr layover. I smile and think to myself, "Why not?" After checking with the guy about code shares and standbys (it really helps to know the lingo here by the way) the guy puts me in First Class out to Denver and then in Coach back to Austin. I got home at 8pm.

So the moral of the story is if you have to fly from Sao Paulo, to Manaus, to Chicago, to Denver, to Austin. Bring a pillow. Cause all you want to do is sleep the whole fricken way!
I find your sense of humor refreshing. If only everyone else were this patient! Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 3, 08, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA BIS Million Miler, AA Gold, Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Prez, Avis First
After an emergency landing in the Amazon should I expect a gift from United?

For me well let's just say the last 48hrs of my trip with United (GRU-ORD-AUS) have been the most unexpected turnaround I've ever had. My Saturday outbound plane from Sao Paulo, Brazil made and emergency landing in Manaus, Brazil. We lost 2 of 3 generators and with no power on the plane's main cabin caused us to land immediately. Quite a ride. Fire trucks & police on the runway, the whole bit. We land at roughly midnight and wait for 45-minutes on the ground then 1.5 hrs in the airport before being transferred to a hotel. Need I mention the hotel check-in for 300 unexpected guests takes 2 additional hours? The 5-star hotel was very nice but the rooms had stained floors and little ants everywhere. (Think Motel 6 and you'll get the idea of what the room was like)

So after spending a lovely day in Manaus we finally were given clearance to go home. On the same plane. At 2:30am Monday. Sooo finally we leave and they are handing out tickets on the plane for your connections in little envelopes and guess what? They hand me mine and NO tickets were inside. I thought to myself, "Oh isn't this nice." Landing in Chicago at 8am I wind my way through security and end up at a ticket counter to discover my fate. A 13-hr layover. I smile and think to myself, "Why not?" After checking with the guy about code shares and standbys (it really helps to know the lingo here by the way) the guy puts me in First Class out to Denver and then in Coach back to Austin. I got home at 8pm Monday. I was supposed to arrive 12pm Sunday.

Now here is my question to the Flyertalk forum. What kind of "gift" can I expect from United for our little adventure? I somehow expect that I will recieve the standard $300 certificate or so...which just seems short changing it to me. What is your experience?
Old Nov 3, 08, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Believe your M+ status will be a factor in your compensation, and you don't mention it....
Old Nov 3, 08, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Write them

Originally Posted by pmoran28 View Post
For me well let's just say the last 48hrs of my trip with United (GRU-ORD-AUS) have been the most unexpected turnaround I've ever had. My Saturday outbound plane from Sao Paulo, Brazil made and emergency landing in Manaus, Brazil. We lost 2 of 3 generators and with no power on the plane's main cabin caused us to land immediately. Quite a ride. Fire trucks & police on the runway, the whole bit. We land at roughly midnight and wait for 45-minutes on the ground then 1.5 hrs in the airport before being transferred to a hotel. Need I mention the hotel check-in for 300 unexpected guests takes 2 additional hours? The 5-star hotel was very nice but the rooms had stained floors and little ants everywhere. (Think Motel 6 and you'll get the idea of what the room was like)

So after spending a lovely day in Manaus we finally were given clearance to go home. On the same plane. At 2:30am Monday. Sooo finally we leave and they are handing out tickets on the plane for your connections in little envelopes and guess what? They hand me mine and NO tickets were inside. I thought to myself, "Oh isn't this nice." Landing in Chicago at 8am I wind my way through security and end up at a ticket counter to discover my fate. A 13-hr layover. I smile and think to myself, "Why not?" After checking with the guy about code shares and standbys (it really helps to know the lingo here by the way) the guy puts me in First Class out to Denver and then in Coach back to Austin. I got home at 8pm Monday. I was supposed to arrive 12pm Sunday.

Now here is my question to the Flyertalk forum. What kind of "gift" can I expect from United for our little adventure? I somehow expect that I will recieve the standard $300 certificate or so...which just seems short changing it to me. What is your experience?
Write them an e-mail, and some dude from India will respond with a nice gift for you.
Old Nov 3, 08, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
You had to make an emergency landing, and you came out unharmed. Isn't that enough of a compensation?
Old Nov 3, 08, 8:26 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
GRU-ORD-AUS? Whew, you must really love United. I don't know who goes to GRU without looking, but off the top of my head, wouldn't AA through MIA or DFW, or CO through IAH have been more direct routing?
Old Nov 3, 08, 8:30 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
I'd ask for a commemorative plaque. XXX survived UA flight XX on MM/DD/YR.
Old Nov 3, 08, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVP 75K, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Please forgive the hundreds of posters who are about to chastise you for being so greedy.
Old Nov 3, 08, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
At least the aircraft looks nice and shiny!
Old Nov 3, 08, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA Plat, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
@dimramon:

It's verging on obnoxious to suggest that *surviving* a massive mess-up that was a result of poor mechnical execution on the part of the airline should be sufficient compensation. By that token, regardless of how United slights you, providing that you live, you should be grateful and keep your mouth shut.

There's no point in even posting that to this forum. None whatsoever.

Now, back to the OP's question:

I think you should plan on getting either 10,000 or 20,000 miles or $300 based on what others have said. I strongly recommend you write a letter.

<G>
Old Nov 3, 08, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by dimramon View Post
You had to make an emergency landing, and you came out unharmed. Isn't that enough of a compensation?
Pugh. Never enough compensation one can receive.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: