FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Chase Visa Double miles on *A purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/881291-chase-visa-double-miles-purchases.html)

sharmaintl Oct 25, 2008 10:33 am

Chase Visa Double miles on *A purchases

I got an interesting entry on my MP statement today. Double miles for 'Star Alliance Purchase'. I had paid for a US 'Preferred Seat' using my Chase MP visa. They are giving me double miles for that purchase (only 10 miles, but still 10 miles extra ;)). Is this new? I have never seen this promoted anywhere on the MP site.

gomike Oct 25, 2008 10:36 am

Yes, works for tickets too, I bought tickets from BMI and was given double RDM on the purchase price.

No it is not new, the terms state:

"Double miles for United and Star Alliance ticket purchases"

actonma Oct 25, 2008 11:09 am

*A Duty Free purchases don't seem to qualify based on my experience with SQ in-flight sales...

cstead Oct 25, 2008 11:30 am

Originally Posted by actonma (Post 10575964)
*A Duty Free purchases don't seem to qualify based on my experience with SQ in-flight sales...

Right, its only ticket purchases.

Firewind Oct 25, 2008 11:58 am

Better yet...

Originally Posted by sharmaintl (Post 10575822)
...I had paid for a US 'Preferred Seat' using my Chase MP visa...

FYI: Next time, show your 1P card, and don't pay. I've been on two US (per se) roundtrips lately. The first one, outbound, I checked in at the counter. I asked if "this" (my 1K card) mattered as to boarding group. "Oh - Mr. Firewind," as he tore up my boarding pass... "What do you want? Exit row?" "Why, yes..." Exit row it was, and boarding group 1. When I looked puzzled, he said it was, paradoxically, because they can't sell a preferred seat at the counter. He also apologized, "We just can't do it until you check-in." Meaning, they couldn't "upgrade" me for the return until I checked in for it. Ditto all the above for my second trip. My best experience on US, ever. :-:

sharmaintl Oct 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 10576178)
FYI: Next time, show your 1P card, and don't pay. I've been on two US (per se) roundtrips lately. The first one, outbound, I checked in at the counter. I asked if "this" (my 1K card) mattered as to boarding group. "Oh - Mr. Firewind," as he tore up my boarding pass... "What do you want? Exit row?" "Why, yes..." Exit row it was, and boarding group 1. When I looked puzzled, he said it was, paradoxically, because they can't sell a preferred seat at the counter. He also apologized, "We just can't do it until you check-in." Meaning, they couldn't "upgrade" me for the return until I checked in for it. Ditto all the above for my second trip. My best experience on US, ever. :-:

That's great! Would this still work if I am accruing miles on another airline than UA? I credit all my sub-500 miles flight to BD. I am assuming it will as all you had to do was show your 1P card.

OregonTransplant Oct 25, 2008 2:56 pm

When did this start? I purchased on Thai back in may and never got double miles.

WineCountryUA Oct 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by OregonTransplant (Post 10576794)
When did this start? I purchased on Thai back in may and never got double miles.

Purchased must be made using the MP Visa card and
Double redeemable miles for United and Star Alliance ticket purchases only apply to ticket purchases made directly from United or a Star Alliance airline (including but not limited to www.united.com, United Reservations, the star alliance airline website and their General Reservations). United and Star Alliance tickets purchased through a travel agency or other travel websites do not apply.

Firewind Oct 25, 2008 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by sharmaintl (Post 10576661)
That's great! Would this still work if I am accruing miles on another airline than UA? I credit all my sub-500 miles flight to BD. I am assuming it will as all you had to do was show your 1P card.

Yes. But the rules are US's, and I only learned as much as I related here.

And, smart move re the <500mi. flights. Sounds like the word is getting around about bd's 600-mi. minimum. :)