Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Intentionally missing a connection/segment: what happens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intentionally missing a connection/segment: what happens?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icedancer
Any particular reason you recommend this?
Shows that the intent wasn't there instead of being a complete no-show. He could have "gotten sick" at the airport.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Shows that the intent wasn't there instead of being a complete no-show. He could have "gotten sick" at the airport.
Yep. I believe that it would be better to show the intend to fly the last segment. It could be a hidden city thing too.

I recently skipped the last segment and heard at the luggage carousel when they were paging me at the gate.,
Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:05 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Just make sure he doesn't have checked bags.
Why? Arriving in ORD from an international destination requires picking up the bags. Here's an idea: when you pick up the bags, just rip off the tag, walk up to check-in in T1, and proceed the same way you would as if you day had begun in Chicago.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Why? Arriving in ORD from an international destination requires picking up the bags. Here's an idea: when you pick up the bags, just rip off the tag, walk up to check-in in T1, and proceed the same way you would as if you day had begun in Chicago.
Right, but I'm totally confused with this thread. Based on the OP, it appears the guy is flying LAX-DEN-BZN; then will fly BZN-ORD-LAX. If we're talking about the BZN that's in Montana, U.S.A., that flight will not arrive at the int'l terminal.

I saw the mention of the WAW-ORD flight...so in that case, yes, bags are not an issue.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Right, but I'm totally confused with this thread. Based on the OP, it appears the guy is flying LAX-DEN-BZN; then will fly BZN-ORD-LAX. If we're talking about the BZN that's in Montana, U.S.A., that flight will not arrive at the int'l terminal.

I saw the mention of the WAW-ORD flight...so in that case, yes, bags are not an issue.
Right! Rereading this, I'm equally confused. It appears your point about the bags holds very much true, my apologies.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Right.

Assuming that BZN-ORD-LAX is all one day:

Check in at BZN and just print (or have them print) both BPs
Do NOT check bags.
Walk off the BZN-ORD flight and just keep walking.
Don't say anything to anyone, don't ask anybody anything, just walk away.
Don't write later and ask for your miles.

In brief, don't do anything to call attention to yourself and especially to the fact that it is you intent to not use the ORD-LAZ ticket.

If you do this occasionally nothing will happen. Just don't make a habit of it.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Ack! Sorry to have utterly confused everyone!

The full itinerary is:

LAX-DEN-BZN (6/24)
BZN-ORD (6/27)

connecting to

ORD-WAW (6/27, on a separate ticket)

WAW-ORD (7/10, on the same separate ticket)

connecting to

ORD-LAX (7/10 on the originally described ticket)

husband wanted to skip this leg and buy a new (3rd) ticket that goes ORD-BOS (7/10) and BOS-LAX (7/15).

Geez, I hope I haven't made things worse!

In hindsight, I probably should have purchased the ORD-LAX leg as a separate one-way, so then if he needed to change/cancel, it would have been easier and he would have gotten a credit for it.

FWIW, this is the most complicated set of bookings I've ever done...live and learn (and read FlyerTalk), I guess.

Anyway, I just didn't want husband getting in trouble for skipping out on that last leg.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's clear now.

Go ahead and check-in for the ORD-LAX on 7/10 but don't show. And of course, buy an ORD-BOS-LAX so he can get home.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Ok, I went ahead and purchased the new ticket ORD-BOS-LAX. "Upgrading" the BOS-LAX portion (UA 163) to a Q-UP was only $230 more than doing the entire trip in Y, so I went for the Q-UP. I think husband will be pleasantly surprised

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 7:58 am
Suspended

How Will United React To This?

I've had premier status for the last two years and
don't want to do anything "wrong".

I live in the east coast and am moving to CA.
I also need a holiday between jobs.

So I thought I redeem a round trip ticket
to Hawaii from the east coast to coincide
with my move to the west coast. So on the
way back I would get off at SFO and
not use the remaining portion of the ticket
(LAX/SFO to east coast).

Can I do this? Will it cause problems in
the future?

Before you dismiss my question as being
trivial, remember, airlines can be funny. I knew someone who
was flying JFK-ORD-LAX. However, at the time
of depature he was near ORD so he just got to
that airport and they denied him boarding.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: UA
In the case of your friend, the airline was not "funny" and denied him boarding simply because fares are different JFK-LAX and ORD-LAX. Prices are not always the same because of a variety of reasons (competition being on top). If you throw away the remaining part of the ticket, you won't have any problem. Don't expect to use the LAX/SFO to east coast at a later date. Since you are allowed a stopover, make one in your transit city so in case of delayed/cancellation they don't reroute you to ORD.

(Stopovers are allowed between mainland and HI right?)
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiumicino
In the case of your friend, the airline was not "funny" and denied him boarding simply because fares are different JFK-LAX and ORD-LAX. Prices are not always the same because of a variety of reasons (competition being on top). If you throw away the remaining part of the ticket, you won't have any problem. Don't expect to use the LAX/SFO to east coast at a later date. Since you are allowed a stopover, make one in your transit city so in case of delayed/cancellation they don't reroute you to ORD.

(Stopovers are allowed between mainland and HI right?)
Yep, stopovers are allowed and correct in all ways.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by inpd
... Can I do this? Will it cause problems in
the future?
What you are talking about is "throw-away ticketing." You throw away the last segment of the ticket. As long as you don't make a habit of it, you won't have a problem just not showing up for the last segment.

Your friend got into trouble because the segment he "threw away" was not the last one. The airline will cancel any segments after the "throw-away" or missed segment of a reservation.

If you do this, just be sure you do not check luggage as it may very well continue on to your final ticketed destination without you.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Why don't you just book an open-jaw east coast-Hawaii-SFO to begin with?
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
Why don't you just book an open-jaw east coast-Hawaii-SFO to begin with?
Can you do this online? Or does it have to be done with an agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.