Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Intentionally missing a connection/segment: what happens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intentionally missing a connection/segment: what happens?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:02 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
What you want to do is 'throw-away ticketing,' which is OK with UA...
And just for potential clarity (and since the op is a UA newbie), you don't want to throw away any but the very last segment on an itin; otherwise the rest of your flights are cancelled.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
What you want to do is 'throw-away ticketing,' which is OK with UA...

Before you that, however, check if you can book a DEN stopover... many many UA fares currently allow a stopover in DEN for $60 (of course, you'd probably also have to pay the $100 change fee on top).
Windflyer, can you do stopovers at other hubs for a reasonable charge or is Denver unique?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:21 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by 747LWW
Windflyer, can you do stopovers at other hubs for a reasonable charge or is Denver unique?
It's just DEN.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1P
Why would any airline penalize a pax for "throwing away" a bought ticket? I don't understand....
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:27 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by Miles Heighway
Why would any airline penalize a pax for "throwing away" a bought ticket? I don't understand....
Do a search for "hidden city", thats one explanation

Jeff
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Heighway
Because it often costs more to fly a very short distance than it does to fly a long distance. For example, San Francisco to Denver might cost $300 whereas SF to New York, with a connection in Denver, only costs $150. Buying SFO-DEN-EWR and throwing away the DEN-EWR segment reduces SFO-DEN by $150.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 2P
This may be an explanation but it still sounds crazy.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by ESflyer
This may be an explanation but it still sounds crazy.
Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of airfare pricing.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Be Aware Of Propeganda & Unenforceable Rules

mitcb01,

If you throw away the last segment of a ticket on any airline, I don't see practically how they would charge you full fare...even NW?

What probably is going on is they tell you they might do this. E.g. somewhere in the fine print, it probably says that they can charge you full fare if you do something wrong. But if you throw away the last flight coupon, think about it, practically how could they put an extra charge o9n your credit card? You could dispute it as an unauthorized charge.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of institutions and individuals will "threaten" to do something, even when they fully know they practically speaking really can't do it except maybe in 1% of cases.

An exagerated analogy might be if I told you if you don't order a Sam Adams on your next flight, I will charge you a $1,000 fine. Just because I tlel you this, it doesn't mean I have any way of collecting the fine or enforcing what I want to do. But often people just believe what they are told especially if the entity telling them the something is somehow perceived as an authority figure.

Has anyone heard of a case on any big six airline in the past 5 years where a pax was actually charged for throwing away the last coupon on a ticket? Come on, any big six airline, anytime in the last five years? Or 8 years?

That being said if you made a habbit of throwing way the last coupon say evry week, perhaps under the right circumstances they might penalize your mileage account. There is very little regulation of mileage accounts, so if a big six airline took say 50,000 miles from you as a penalty, short of funding a lawsuit against the airline there might be very little you could do. But if they take $10,000 out of your credit card as a "penalty" you could dispute it with your bank, and poof, it would be off your statement, and they airline would have to get a judgement in court and then chase you to collect the judgement which is extremely unlikely unless we are talking say $50,000 or more and you have liquid assetts to pay that.
Old May 4, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, HI DIA
Originally Posted by fzwinter
You also shouldn't make a habit of throw-away ticketing as it is possible that UA could take a hard stand. Also, make sure if you check luggage that you only check it through to your stopping destination.
Have people had any problems, flying UA purely domestically, with this practice (that is, asking the agent to check your baggage to an intermediate stop)?
Old May 4, 2006, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rjque
Because it often costs more to fly a very short distance than it does to fly a long distance. For example, San Francisco to Denver might cost $300 whereas SF to New York, with a connection in Denver, only costs $150. Buying SFO-DEN-EWR and throwing away the DEN-EWR segment reduces SFO-DEN by $150.

A better example of this is an itin such as - PHL-XXX-PHL-SCE (which I actually looked into many years ago) which may be cheaper than just the PHL-XXX-PHL fare. In this case you could simply deplane in PHL and not use the last leg. This is a true "hidden city" itinerary.

SFO-DEN-EWR would not work if you get off in DEN unless you are doing a 1 way as your return EWR-DEN-SFO will likely be cancelled.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:16 pm

Not completing last leg of flight

I am trying to price a ticket from denver/vegas/denver

the cost of the ticket is lower if you fly denver/vegas/denver with a plane change to colorado springs in denver

What happens if you get off in denver on the return and don't board the leg to colorado springs?

Dash
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
If you only skip the final leg of the return portion of your itinerary, there shouldn't be any problem. This won't work if you have checked luggage though.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Just don't make a habit of it or you could get in trouble.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:47 pm

Even with checked luggage I've had no problem doing this.

I flew MEL-SYD-SFO-SEA-SFO-SYD-MEL, but I skipped the last SYD-MEL sector.

When I checked in @ SEA I made sure my bags were tagged to SYD. I was given the boarding pass for SYD-MEL. When I got to SYD I told the ground handling agent I was getting off the plane now and not going to Melbourne, gave them my boarding pass and they said fine. Their only concern was where my bags were. They even thanked me for letting them know, so they wouldn't be wasting time trying to find me in the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.