How bad is UA hurting?

Old Oct 23, 08, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
Plus, on shorter flights, it's so much easier using WN or VXs website to figure out your most cost-efficient options, if available. With UA, it seems as though the price of your second flight depends upon the first flight you choose. You end up doing quite a bit of back & forth to figure things out. WN or VX (or, for that matter, USAir) makes it a whole lot easier.
I have to disagree. The UA website makes it very easy to find the least expensive alternative. I put in the basic times I want to fly (before noon, after 6, etc.) it automatically prices the least expensive alternative. I can then select alternative flights (which I do based on convenience and available seating) and it instantly gives me the new price. Once I've made my flight-pair selection, it takes me to another screen where I have the option to continue to purchase or review suggested alternatives that would give me a lower price.

If you're flying transcon, investing a bit of time to figure things out isn't such a big deal (plus there are typically fewer options to consider than when flying a corridor). But who wants to go to all that trouble for an SFO-LAS or SFO-LAX quickie?
I'm not sure what you mean by "all that trouble." Yesterday, I told the website the days I was traveling and that, for each flight, I wanted to leave after 6 pm. The first selected options were the cheapest, but also not as convenient. It was just a question of clicking on a "radio button" for a different flight to see what it would do the cost. It couldn't have taken more 20 seconds to find a more convenient flight pair with my preferred E+ seats available AND at the same low price.

WN, VX & USAir make it so simple. Do I want to spend this many more $$$ to arrive at a given time, or can I rearrange things a bit to fly when it's cheapest? With United, it's as if they don't want you to know how things work.
That certainly hasn't been my experience.
Old Oct 23, 08, 7:09 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by RS250Racer View Post
The economy is smoked...we ain't seen nothing yet.

I have been talking to a lot of people...most are saying about 3 weeks ago business came to a standstill!
My feeling is that, until people see their 401Ks begin to recover, they're not going to feel comfortable spending money they don't have to. It's also changed the way they spend (not just how much). For example, we had two customers recently spend $2500 to upgrade older bikes with all-new stuff, when it would have made more sense to buy a new bike. But even though the cost would have been similar, there's this thing going on inside some people's heads that says now is not the time to get something new, but instead fix up what you've got. Even if it costs the same.

Fortunately for most in the bicycle business, this is the best time to be taking a hit on high-end product, because you don't sell much of it between October and March. Plus the high price of gas has really pushed the sales of hybrid bikes for transportation. Some shops are in trouble, just like some airlines, and they're wondering if it makes sense to try and hold out until things get better, or cut their losses.

The airline business has to be especially tough to figure out. After being strangled by high oil prices and thus cutting back on capacity, you would have thought they'd be in great shape now, with less capacity and lower oil prices. But how could anyone have anticipated the depth of recurring bad financial news?
Old Oct 23, 08, 7:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
The UA website makes it very easy to find the least expensive alternative. I put in the basic times I want to fly (before noon, after 6, etc.) it automatically prices the least expensive alternative.
Not always the case.

Often when I do round trip search, for example, BOS-ORD-PVG/HKG/PEK, ual.com automatically prices out a fare higher than search by segments.

Just a pain....
Old Oct 23, 08, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
Not always the case.

Often when I do round trip search, for example, BOS-ORD-PVG/HKG/PEK, ual.com automatically prices out a fare higher than search by segments.

Just a pain....
Ah, that is a different situation. I see your point. I was thinking only of the LAX/SFO route which is very easily managed on .bomb.
Old Oct 23, 08, 7:55 pm

Well, I'm not a happy camper. Purchased tickets for my kids in July sfo-yvr-sfo and the cost was about $430/each. I go online today and it's down to about $280/each! At least they made some good money off of me, not to mention the interest they're accruing (trip is not until feb.09) Oh, well ....
Old Oct 23, 08, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by niele View Post
Well, I'm not a happy camper. Purchased tickets for my kids in July sfo-yvr-sfo and the cost was about $430/each. I go online today and it's down to about $280/each! At least they made some good money off of me, not to mention the interest they're accruing (trip is not until feb.09) Oh, well ....
Niele... run (do not walk) to the nearest phone, and ask United to give you a credit for the difference in what you paid, and the current price. Last I heard, UA still gives you flight credit. (are you running to the phone yet..?)
Old Oct 23, 08, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One empty flight does not a disaster make...
Old Oct 23, 08, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies View Post
One empty flight does not a disaster make...
I agree, but when there is a pattern of empty flights on given days and times or there is a flight that is always empty, UA needs to do something. Weather it is use a smaller plane or reduce the number of flights on given routes. I would reduce the number of the intra California flights on the weekends when the business travelers are less likely to fly.
Old Oct 23, 08, 9:41 pm

Programs: SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
VX is a much better option than UA.

Legroom is much better, aircraft are clean, and service isn't even worth comparing.

The IFE is great. I managed to watch almost the entire 2nd Presidential Debate while on their flight.

It wouldn't surprise me if this route went UX (at least partially) pretty soon.
Old Oct 23, 08, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker View Post
VX is a much better option than UA.

Legroom is much better, aircraft are clean, and service isn't even worth comparing.

The IFE is great. I managed to watch almost the entire 2nd Presidential Debate while on their flight.

It wouldn't surprise me if this route went UX (at least partially) pretty soon.
SEA->LAX is going UX in November!
Old Oct 23, 08, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by discstickers View Post
SEA->LAX is going UX in November!
There are already some UAX frequencies mixed in with the mainline.
Old Oct 23, 08, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
There are already some UAX frequencies mixed in with the mainline.
Sorry, I meant completely.
Old Oct 23, 08, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by niele View Post
Originally Posted by mikensf74 View Post
Niele... run (do not walk) to the nearest phone, and ask United to give you a credit for the difference in what you paid, and the current price. Last I heard, UA still gives you flight credit. (are you running to the phone yet..?)
refare -- and do online, not by phone. Online gets you a credit back to your credit card (if used for purchased). Phone agents provide vouchers.
Old Oct 23, 08, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
I agree, but when there is a pattern of empty flights on given days and times or there is a flight that is always empty, UA needs to do something. Weather it is use a smaller plane or reduce the number of flights on given routes. I would reduce the number of the intra California flights on the weekends when the business travelers are less likely to fly.
I'm pretty sure UA has a team of people looking at exactly this, often.
Old Oct 23, 08, 10:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Forgive me for being an ignorant fool.. But what does UX stand for?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: