Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flying Standby with a red eye the connection the next morning

Old Oct 22, 2008, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold

I am booked on the 10/29 red eye to from SFO to IAD then connecting on to CLT the next morning from IAD. It turns out I may need to get there sooner then planned. Does anyone know if I could fly standby on the first departure on 10/29 and be able to connect to CLT on 10/29 or would I have to wait until 10/30 since the flight occurs on different dates thus the same day stand-by would not apply.

Thanks
yvr_ual
Old Oct 22, 2008, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
It is my understanding that the rules say you would have to wait till the next day.

You may be able to find an agent willing to bend the rules, however. Just ask nicely--especially at IAD.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It is my understanding that the rules say you would have to wait till the next day.

You may be able to find an agent willing to bend the rules, however. Just ask nicely--especially at IAD.
I actually think that should be fine. It is breaking the rules to standby for an earlier flight for the red-eye and to then not stand by for an earlier flight to CLT, since this creates a stopover and would be a change in the fare rules or something of that ilk, don't remember the exact reason, but you can still get check-in agents to allow you to do that, I've done that before flying SFO-IAD-LGA.

You should be fine. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.