Wiki Posts
Search

Online Upgrade FUN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Silver
Wink Online Upgrade FUN

I have a ticket that takes me RIC-ORD-SAN-LAX-HNL-ORD-RIC.

went to put in for the upgrades online:

RIC-ORD-SAN - using 500's
HNL-LAX - using 500's
HNL-ORD using a CR1 (correcting LAX to HNL)

It wouldnt let me use the cr1, So I called reservations, seems that .bomb had applied the CR1 to RIC-ORD-SAN , which of course might be logical except that I had requested that 500s be used for those flights, since the only way for me to upgrade all three (i only have 14 500s) was to use 6 500s for the first flight, 6 for LAX-HNL and then the CR1 for HNL-ORD... now if they would all clear , id be really happy...

Doomed to Coach

Last edited by Doomed to Coach; Oct 16, 2008 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Doomed to Coach

HNL-LAX - using 500's
LAX-ORD using a CR1

It wouldnt let me use the cr1, So I called reservations, seems that .bomb had applied the CR1 to RIC-ORD-SAN , which of course might be logical except that I had requested that 500s be used for those flights, since the only way for me to upgrade all three (i only have 14 500s) was to use 6 500s for the first flight, 6 for LAX-HNL and then the CR1 for HNL-ORD... now if they would all clear , id be really happy...

Doomed to Coach
I haven't had trouble changing upgrade instruments at the gate. As for having "only" 14 e500s, I dunno, I have a hard time having much more empathy for someone in that position than I do for Joe the Plumber making who's apparently making $250k+ /year and complaining he might have to pay more in taxes.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Oct 16, 2008 at 2:10 pm Reason: clarity
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I haven't had trouble changing upgrade instruments at the gate. As for having "only" 14 e500s, I dunno, I have a hard time having much more empathy for someone in that position than I do for Joe the Plumber making who's apparently making $250k+ /year and complaining he might have to pay more in taxes.
"ONLY" 14 e500's? I think the most I've had sitting in my account at one time was never more than 7 or 8 and probably not even that many...
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC

HNL-LAX - using 500's
LAX-ORD using a CR1

Doomed to Coach
I am confused. Your upgrades don't match your ticket (ie there is no LAX-ORD on your ticket though it has been upgraded?). Is this a round trip flight basically with a little stay in HNL and lots of stops. Or do you have a bunch of stopovers? You should be able to apply the CR1 to multiple legs of the trip assuming it is all one direction without a stopover.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Silver
well you stockpile 500's when you primarily fly international and have to use miles to upgrade - and your domestic flights for vacation are on TED

Doomed to Coach
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

hey don't talk about me that way, 250k doesn't go as far as it use to

BTW i had 20 in my account once, and they were used in no time flat !!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:49 pm

HNL-LAX - using 500's
HNL-ORD using a CR1 (correcting LAX to HNL)

Doomed to Coach
I'm in the same boat friend... RIC-IAD-SFO-HNL-LAX-ORD-RIC, outbound on 30 October returning 5 Nov... applied a CR1 to outbound and inbound, not sure they will clear and don't have my hopes up either...

Last edited by USAF_O1; Oct 16, 2008 at 4:57 pm
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
If these are all on the same ticket, why can't you use the CR1 for the whole thing?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I had about a dozen expire on me last year - luckily I was grandfathered and they converted to 500 RDMs.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rkaradi
hey don't talk about me that way, 250k doesn't go as far as it use to

BTW i had 20 in my account once, and they were used in no time flat !!
I always have about 40 e500s in account and never get to use them.

Eventually they are converted to RDMs.

In fact, I can't even use all CR1s so I gift them to friends and colleagues.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat Elite Royal Ambass, HHon Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hertz 5*
Off Topic

How are you still getting miles for expired upgrades, what is this grandfathered you talk about???
Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
If these are all on the same ticket, why can't you use the CR1 for the whole thing?
The OP already answered that question a few posts above yours.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by ozgirl61
How are you still getting miles for expired upgrades, what is this grandfathered you talk about???
There was a short-lived promotion a while back that allowed elite members to register to continue having 500's convert to RDM. Those who registered in time have been grandfathered in, and will continue having 500's convert indefinitely.

randomman
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat Elite Royal Ambass, HHon Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hertz 5*
Thanks Randomman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.