FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Online Upgrade FUN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/876767-online-upgrade-fun.html)

Doomed to Coach Oct 16, 08 1:19 pm

Online Upgrade FUN

I have a ticket that takes me RIC-ORD-SAN-LAX-HNL-ORD-RIC.

went to put in for the upgrades online:

RIC-ORD-SAN - using 500's
HNL-LAX - using 500's
HNL-ORD using a CR1 (correcting LAX to HNL)

It wouldnt let me use the cr1, So I called reservations, seems that .bomb had applied the CR1 to RIC-ORD-SAN :confused:, which of course might be logical except that I had requested that 500s be used for those flights, since the only way for me to upgrade all three (i only have 14 500s) was to use 6 500s for the first flight, 6 for LAX-HNL and then the CR1 for HNL-ORD... now if they would all clear :), id be really happy...

Doomed to Coach

Mike Jacoubowsky Oct 16, 08 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Doomed to Coach (Post 10531073)

HNL-LAX - using 500's
LAX-ORD using a CR1

It wouldnt let me use the cr1, So I called reservations, seems that .bomb had applied the CR1 to RIC-ORD-SAN :confused:, which of course might be logical except that I had requested that 500s be used for those flights, since the only way for me to upgrade all three (i only have 14 500s) was to use 6 500s for the first flight, 6 for LAX-HNL and then the CR1 for HNL-ORD... now if they would all clear :), id be really happy...

Doomed to Coach

I haven't had trouble changing upgrade instruments at the gate. As for having "only" 14 e500s, I dunno, I have a hard time having much more empathy for someone in that position than I do for Joe the Plumber making who's apparently making $250k+ /year and complaining he might have to pay more in taxes. :D

PDXPremier Oct 16, 08 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 10531684)
I haven't had trouble changing upgrade instruments at the gate. As for having "only" 14 e500s, I dunno, I have a hard time having much more empathy for someone in that position than I do for Joe the Plumber making who's apparently making $250k+ /year and complaining he might have to pay more in taxes. :D

"ONLY" 14 e500's? I think the most I've had sitting in my account at one time was never more than 7 or 8 and probably not even that many...

adambadam Oct 16, 08 3:54 pm

HNL-LAX - using 500's
LAX-ORD using a CR1

Doomed to Coach

I am confused. Your upgrades don't match your ticket (ie there is no LAX-ORD on your ticket though it has been upgraded?). Is this a round trip flight basically with a little stay in HNL and lots of stops. Or do you have a bunch of stopovers? You should be able to apply the CR1 to multiple legs of the trip assuming it is all one direction without a stopover.

Doomed to Coach Oct 16, 08 5:06 pm

well you stockpile 500's when you primarily fly international and have to use miles to upgrade - and your domestic flights for vacation are on TED :rolleyes:

Doomed to Coach

rkaradi Oct 16, 08 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 10531684)

hey don't talk about me that way, 250k doesn't go as far as it use to:eek:

BTW i had 20 in my account once, and they were used in no time flat !!

USAF_O1 Oct 16, 08 5:49 pm

HNL-LAX - using 500's
HNL-ORD using a CR1 (correcting LAX to HNL)

Doomed to Coach

I'm in the same boat friend... RIC-IAD-SFO-HNL-LAX-ORD-RIC, outbound on 30 October returning 5 Nov... applied a CR1 to outbound and inbound, not sure they will clear and don't have my hopes up either... :(

JoeTravel Oct 16, 08 6:21 pm

If these are all on the same ticket, why can't you use the CR1 for the whole thing?

cstead Oct 16, 08 6:24 pm

I had about a dozen expire on me last year - luckily I was grandfathered and they converted to 500 RDMs.

kb1992 Oct 16, 08 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by rkaradi (Post 10532459)
hey don't talk about me that way, 250k doesn't go as far as it use to:eek:

BTW i had 20 in my account once, and they were used in no time flat !!

I always have about 40 e500s in account and never get to use them.

Eventually they are converted to RDMs.

In fact, I can't even use all CR1s so I gift them to friends and colleagues.

ozgirl61 Oct 17, 08 12:23 am

Off Topic

How are you still getting miles for expired upgrades, what is this grandfathered you talk about???

KathyWdrf Oct 17, 08 12:59 am

Originally Posted by JoeTravel (Post 10532694)
If these are all on the same ticket, why can't you use the CR1 for the whole thing?

The OP already answered that question a few posts above yours.

randomman Oct 17, 08 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ozgirl61 (Post 10533893)
How are you still getting miles for expired upgrades, what is this grandfathered you talk about???

There was a short-lived promotion a while back that allowed elite members to register to continue having 500's convert to RDM. Those who registered in time have been grandfathered in, and will continue having 500's convert indefinitely.

randomman

ozgirl61 Oct 22, 08 7:09 pm

Thanks Randomman