Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Just booked flight on United but American is lower...DILEMMA, PLEASE HELP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:38 am
Original Poster

guys last friday i booked a flight from Chicago to Miami on United for $564 for 3 passengers. United was cheapest. depart chicago with layover in charlotte then land in miami. nonstop from miami to chicago....

then they called me saturday and told me my itineary had changed instead of departing at 2pm(this flight has been cancelled), they are putting me on a earlier 1:40pm flight with a layover in charlotte.

By golly, this morning I check the flights again and american airlines has both ways non-stop for $150 cheaper than what I booked, with better schedule and NON stop both ways....of course the tickets i booked on united were non refundable...

Do I have a way out with united? especially since they changed the itineary on me... im planning on calling them and trying to cancel obviously but would appreciate anyone's input on what to do here, thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
This might be better for the Travel Buzz forum or the UA Forum.

In case of a schedule change all you can do is ask them to change your flight to one that will fit your schedule.

Fares go up and down on all airlines, I dont think you will be able to get this one refunded.

What was the price of the AA ticket when you booked the UA one?

BTW- Chances are this is a US codeshare as you are stopping in CLT
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
With only 20 minutes change in the schedule, I don't think you will be able to get refund.
But as you said, call them and see what happens.
That being said, I wouldn't expect too much especially if you don't have UA status (1P or up) and speak to ICC.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Switching this over to the UA Forum where the helpful folks there will add their comments and advice.

Thanks.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by davecndn
guys last friday i booked a flight from Chicago to Miami on United for $564 for 3 passengers. United was cheapest. depart chicago with layover in charlotte then land in miami. nonstop from miami to chicago....

then they called me saturday and told me my itineary had changed instead of departing at 2pm(this flight has been cancelled), they are putting me on a earlier 1:40pm flight with a layover in charlotte.
Your original reservations was for a nonstop Chicago to Miami, The flight has been canceled and they rebooked you to a connection through Charlotte, which means at least the Charlotte to Miami will be on US. You did book nonstop and not a connecting flight.

This is a potential 'get of jail free' card. The connection through Charlotte may get you into Miami too late for something (whatever) and you have to cancel and get your money back. I would try this with UA refund. Sometimes Indian Call Center actually works, it just takes a while.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Marriott Ambassador
If you booked less than 24 hours ago, you may be able to cancel without penalty.........
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
Your original reservations was for a nonstop Chicago to Miami, The flight has been canceled and they rebooked you to a connection through Charlotte, which means at least the Charlotte to Miami will be on US. You did book nonstop and not a connecting flight.

This is a potential 'get of jail free' card. The connection through Charlotte may get you into Miami too late for something (whatever) and you have to cancel and get your money back. I would try this with UA refund. Sometimes Indian Call Center actually works, it just takes a while.
Agreed - the addition of a connection here should justify a refund. Just be sure the American flight is available before you cancel the United flight.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Originally Posted by davecndn

By golly, this morning I check the flights again and american airlines has both ways non-stop for $150 cheaper than what I booked, with better schedule and NON stop both ways....of course the tickets i booked on united were non refundable...

Do I have a way out with united? especially since they changed the itineary on me... im planning on calling them and trying to cancel obviously but would appreciate anyone's input on what to do here, thanks.
Originally Posted by cgruber
If you booked less than 24 hours ago, you may be able to cancel without penalty.........

The answer to this is in the first sentence of the original post
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P
I think you're out of luck. Since your original flight included the same layover, there's basically no change. Just monitor the UA price, and if the ticket drops more than $100 you can get a voucher for the diff (ticket price - new price - $100)
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I think the OP's original ittn was with a stop in CLT as it was cheaper at first. You may have a case if one of your flights was booked on UA metal and UA switched you to US metal.

It never hurts to call UA or UA Customer Relations and ask for a refund, the worst they can say is no.

IMHO: If the cost between a NS flight and a connecting flight is $150 or less I would always take the NS no matter what airline as I dont like connecting if I dont have to.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by CIT85
That's not the way I read the OP. The outbound had a connection in CLT (must be US metal), they have increased that connection time by 20 minutes by moving to a slightly earlier first leg. Return still appears to be NS.

Schedule changes can sometimes get you out of a non-refundable ticket, but the airlines usually have some requirement, such as the change has to be at least 2 hours.

Calling to check is free, but don't get your hopes up too high.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fat Pickle
... if the ticket drops more than $100 you can get a voucher for the diff (ticket price - new price - $100)
Is the fee for re-faring a ticket still only $100, or has it gone up to $150 like other "change fees"?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Fat Pickle
Just monitor the UA price, and if the ticket drops more than $100 you can get a voucher for the diff (ticket price - new price - $100)
Refaring on UA is free; change fees do not apply if you are exchanging the ticket for an identical itinerary, with the only difference being price. You only get dinged the change fee if you want cash back on a nonrefundable fare; if you want a voucher, it's fee-free.

Originally Posted by jmd001
Is the fee for re-faring a ticket still only $100, or has it gone up to $150 like other "change fees"?
All change fees for domestic flights are now $150, but there is no fee for refaring on UA.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by djk7
That's not the way I read the OP. The outbound had a connection in CLT (must be US metal), they have increased that connection time by 20 minutes by moving to a slightly earlier first leg. Return still appears to be NS.

Schedule changes can sometimes get you out of a non-refundable ticket, but the airlines usually have some requirement, such as the change has to be at least 2 hours.

Calling to check is free, but don't get your hopes up too high.
You're right, I reread the OP's post carefully. The only change is the 20 minute longer layover.

The only option is check current UA fare for possible refare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.