Wiki Posts
Search

What's Good About The New C Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
What's Good About The New C Seats?

Two things. The bigger monitor and noone grabbing your seat so they can get out of theirs. That's it.

The seats are so narrow that it became uncomfortable. And, forget about the lie-flat bed. I'm only 5'8" and I couldn't stretch out. The footwell is angled off the straight line of the bed it was very uncomfortable.

The tray table is very difficult to slide forward and backward. Caused me to spill my full glass of red wine all over my pant legs, socks, and shoes. A little WD40 might help.

The overhead bins seem smaller than the original 767 overhead bins.

It was very disturbing being able to look at the person sitting two rows back.

UA should have done some better research before proceeding with these new seats.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by retsef
Two things. The bigger monitor and noone grabbing your seat so they can get out of theirs. That's it.

The seats are so narrow that it became uncomfortable. And, forget about the lie-flat bed. I'm only 5'8" and I couldn't stretch out. The footwell is angled off the straight line of the bed it was very uncomfortable.

The tray table is very difficult to slide forward and backward. Caused me to spill my full glass of red wine all over my pant legs, socks, and shoes. A little WD40 might help.

The overhead bins seem smaller than the original 767 overhead bins.

It was very disturbing being able to look at the person sitting two rows back.

UA should have done some better research before proceeding with these new seats.
I agree that the narrower width isn't a good thing. Tight fit for my shoulders.

The lie flat complaint is puzzling. I'm 6'0" and had no problem lying flat whatsoever.

The overhead bins are just as small as they were on the 744s prior to the reconfiguration, IMO. Side bins have always been the way to go.

As for looking at someone else....no kidding, you're on public transportation.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The lie flat complaint is puzzling. I'm 6'0" and had no problem lying flat whatsoever.
I am also of average height and have no issues. You need to remember to "scoot" your torso up so that your head is closer to the shell backing of your seat to maximize the seat/bed's length.

I don't have wide shoulders or hips, so I can't comment on the width of the seat, but it worked just fine for me. All-in-all a remarkable improvement.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
You need to remember to "scoot" your torso up so that your head is closer to the shell backing of your seat to maximize the seat/bed's length.
Bingo. ^
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bingo. ^
Yeah, it takes a little getting used to, but it works wonders. You literally can "recoup" about six inches of length just by doing that. And since you're lying flat flat, you won't be sliding down and having to re-adjust, as is the case with angled lie-flat seats.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I agree that the narrower width isn't a good thing. Tight fit for my shoulders.
But the seats are great for sleeping on your side.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MP-1K/GS
Although the seats are narrow, being 120 lbs and only 5'4", I love the new C seat compared to the old one. It's not as comfortable as the old config F seat, but works quite well for my size. I cannot sleep in the old C seat at all. Something about needing to be lying flat to fall asleep. So for me...what I love is not needing to use a SWU to get into a flat seat in the old F config! Now I can save my SWUs and be much more selective as to when I want to use them! So I guess that's a benefit to other flyers as well since it will be one less person competing for the upgrade to F in the new config planes....
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:14 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I'm 6'2" and had no problem sleeping in the bed. I do enjoy the new C more than the old C. Bigger screen, AVOD, full flat bed, no seat grabbing, etc.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
ALl the airlines are using these NARROW seats, just be glad they are LAYFLAT!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: UA
I do agree with some of the complaints about the new seats. The tray table is a real pain to move around and I have to struggle to get it forward or backward. There is no storage at all except for the small area in front of the monitor. I couldn't even put a magazine anywhere except on the floor (the small magazine storage was packed just with the UA suff).
In general I like the new seat since I can sleep really well in them (I am a side sleeper) and this advantage outweighs the disadvantages to me. AVOD is also a lot nicer but the movie selection could be better especially compared to some Asian carriers.
But if you are awake and try to get some work done I find the old seat easier.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
If the seats are too narrow for you, lose weight. I'm 6'2", 210lbs, and it was the most comfortable airplane seat I've experienced. The new F seat on the return trip topped the new C seat on the outbound, but not by much.

Those seats are the only ones where I've achieved actual deep sleep on a plane.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Same here - I slept a full six hours on IAD-LHR! I was glad to see that the seats are extremely well-padded and plush, which really helps when you're sleeping on your side.

Last edited by UnitedSkies; Oct 12, 2008 at 11:02 am
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
If the seats are too narrow for you, lose weight. I'm 6'2", 210lbs, and it was the most comfortable airplane seat I've experienced. The new F seat on the return trip topped the new C seat on the outbound, but not by much.

The width of one's shoulders has nothing to do with weight and that is what caused the tight fit in my instance. Agree that overall it's a marked improvement.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:27 pm

The width of one's shoulders has nothing to do with weight and that is what caused the tight fit in my instance. Agree that overall it's a marked improvement.
How far apart the bones are is not affected by your weight, but what's covering those bones is.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I took UA920 on Thursday night (IAD-LHR) -- first time in the new C. I thought the seat was very comfortable ... easy to sleep on ... good padding. It's narrower that BA's NNCW (New New Club World), but just as comfortable. I like the buttons for "lie flat" and the "airplane" (take-off and landing): one touch and not multiple. The big screen was fab (better than BA's). Lack of storage space was a bit of a minus (advantage BA). Soft product (food and service) still not close to BA. Now that I've tried the new biz configuration, I'm not really looking forward to taking UA925 (LHR-IAD) on a 777 back across the pond tomorrow ... old seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.