FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Singapore Spacebed in business class or risk an old first class suite on UA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/875017-singapore-spacebed-business-class-risk-old-first-class-suite-ua.html)

Maclock Oct 11, 2008 2:40 am

Singapore Spacebed in business class or risk an old first class suite on UA?

For a trans-Pacific long-haul flight. Ideas, anyone?

I have flown SQ and am familiar with the Spacebed, and while it's very good, it's not great for sleeping. (Not for me, anyway.) I need true flat-bed seats for that. The thing is, UA's product in first sounds dire (at least for the unrefurbished birds).

What do you UA folks think is the best choice here?

VH-RMD Oct 11, 2008 2:56 am

I don't know I would call the 'old' F suites "dire", I took one LAX-SYD in August and I managed nearly 9 hours sleep - they are lie flat and while you don't get jimjams, mattress or doona, they are still quite comfortable...

as always YMMV.

Maclock Oct 11, 2008 3:03 am

Thank you for your input, mate! ^

Originally Posted by MetroAir (Post 10503593)
I don't know I would call the 'old' F suites "dire", I took one LAX-SYD in August and I managed nearly 9 hours sleep - they are lie flat and while you don't get jimjams, mattress or doona, they are still quite comfortable...

as always YMMV.

gleff Oct 11, 2008 6:07 am

I still sleep very well in UA's old F and would take that over the spacebed if I wanted rest. SQ's soft product may be preferable in C, don't expect to enjoy the small screen and tapes for entertainment. But you'll sleep well.

Savage25 Oct 11, 2008 6:52 am

F is still F, is still F*.

(except when its UA F)

eratosthaenes Oct 11, 2008 6:57 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No brainer. Go with UA. It breaks down like this: on UA F you get a flat bed which may not be luxuriously soft but it will be flat and sleepable, plus a crappy videotape system and surly flight staff that will stop just short of yelling at you (sometimes) and might actually get you water if you get lucky. On SQ business, you don't get a flat seat but its soft and everyone who works on the flight seriously wants to make you happy. Its kind of like flying a real airline!

Net, net, I would do UA, bring my own entertainment (and a DIY attitude) and just tune out... And sleep!

why fly Oct 11, 2008 7:11 am

Do UA F for sure the Spacebed is crap compared to most new Business products. VERY dated. UA F will give you a great seat, just not a good soft product.

macabus Oct 11, 2008 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Savage25 (Post 10503958)
F is still F, is still F*.

(except when its UA F)

I think that last part need to be more prominent.

UnitedSkies Oct 11, 2008 7:25 am

Always true flat over angled lie-flat. Period. :)

CommittedLurker Oct 11, 2008 8:09 am

I would choose SQ. Better food and entertainment. Krisworld is a great way to pass away a few hours.

UnitedSkies Oct 11, 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker (Post 10504149)
I would choose SQ. Better food and entertainment. Krisworld is a great way to pass away a few hours.

But the OP seems to indicate that being able to sleep well is most important. If that is true, service, food and entertainment is probably less important.

mahasamatman Oct 11, 2008 8:41 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies (Post 10504028)
Always true flat over angled lie-flat. Period.

We made that same decision for our upcoming CCPSTAR. I am actually not looking forward to our one segment on SQ with the Spacebed.

pentop Oct 11, 2008 9:06 am

Count me as one of those who would take SQ C over United F any day. I don't care if it's the new F or the old F. The all around product on SQ is so far superior that I even chose it over UA despite losing over 10k miles for not getting my 1K bonus.

Just ask for extra blankets to lay on top of to make your SQ bed softer.

CPMaverick Oct 11, 2008 9:13 am

I have taken UA F SYD-LAX and slept very well. The staff was actually good too (not great).

So, if you want to sleep, don't be afraid of all the negative comments about UA F. It's still a great way to sleep.

stevenshev Oct 11, 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by pentop (Post 10504390)
Count me as one of those who would take SQ C over United F any day. I don't care if it's the new F or the old F. The all around product on SQ is so far superior that I even chose it over UA despite losing over 10k miles for not getting my 1K bonus.

Just ask for extra blankets to lay on top of to make your SQ bed softer.

Softer doesn't help when you are awoken every 2 hours by the fact that you're now sleeping on the floor.