Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Singapore Spacebed in business class or risk an old first class suite on UA?

Singapore Spacebed in business class or risk an old first class suite on UA?

Old Oct 11, 08, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
I blinked and am now flying SQ. I have tried angled-flat seats on SQ and NH, and I agree that they suck, but the many negative reports about UA first trans-Pac pushed me to SQ.

Videocasettes? Really? The UA product will probably be good enough when the refurb is completed, but until then, I'll take my business elsewhere. NRT, the airport from which I will be departing, is not likely to see the new 747s by mid-December.

Thanks for your input, folks!

Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
Softer doesn't help when you are awoken every 2 hours by the fact that you're now sleeping on the floor.
Old Oct 11, 08, 11:56 am

it's a flat bed on UA...

and the service isnt THAT horrible. I've flown them multiple times transpac in F and never had an abominable experience. True, it's not as gracious as SQ, but the flight attendants were nice, gave me the food I wanted, and I slept like a baby, fully flat. Only ONCE in more than 20 crossings did I have an issue, but whatever- I ignored them and slept.
Old Oct 11, 08, 1:09 pm

I've done both and would choose UA F if my main priority was sleeping. The seat is far superior to the spacebed seat.

The other thing to consider if you are going to be sleeping and travelling alone is the ability to book a window seat and be completely by yourself. I really liked this about seat 3J on the UA 777. I felt like I was in my own little world, which would not be the case in SQ C.

The IFE is indeed horrendous, but if you are just going to watch one movie and then fall asleep, it doesn't matter. If you plan to be awake the entire flight, then the spacebed is a much better option.

The United food has always been satisfactory. The SQ meals will be better, but airplane food is airplane food.

I was pleasantly surprised by the FA attitude on my most recent trips in UA F. They were cheerful enough and very attentive. Sadly, this is not uniform on UA. The SQ FAs are outstanding, period.

The new UA F is head and shoulders above the spacebed. But i think you're right that they won't be flying those birds from NRT any time soon.
Old Oct 11, 08, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Seriously, I think some of you have drunk too much of the anti-UA Kool Aid to give a rational answer. And I am by no means a UA cheerleader.

You want good sleep - UA F. Older, but still a very good product. You can also eat when you want, which is also a big plus. Granted, the food isn't restaurant quality, but for the purposes of getting rest, it's still great.

I will also admit that the F service this year from Asia-US and back and SYD-US and back has been very good. Very friendly and attentive FA's.
Old Oct 11, 08, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Seriously, I think some of you have drunk too much of the anti-UA Kool Aid to give a rational answer. And I am by no means a UA cheerleader.

You want good sleep - UA F. Older, but still a very good product. You can also eat when you want, which is also a big plus. Granted, the food isn't restaurant quality, but for the purposes of getting rest, it's still great...
My thought too - the SpaceBed is not an abomination but reasonably terrible: narrow, incredibly inflexible when it comes to adjustments, filthy, measly power output .. just the pod structure makes that it is marginally better a product than UA's old C.
Old Oct 11, 08, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, RC PLAT PREM
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker View Post
I would choose SQ. Better food and entertainment. Krisworld is a great way to pass away a few hours.
agree here 100%..and here is the kicker:

if you are a guy -- singapore girls
if you are a girl -- singapore guys

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 11, 08 at 2:17 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Oct 11, 08, 2:39 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You want good sleep - UA F. Older, but still a very good product. You can also eat when you want, which is also a big plus. Granted, the food isn't restaurant quality, but for the purposes of getting rest, it's still great.
I agree. Giving up the flat suite-style seat for better food, drinks, service and entertainment is more than I would be willing to do. Seriously, privacy is one of the major advantages of F over C-- especially with an increasing number of C flat beds on the market.
Old Oct 11, 08, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Have not flown either but would take a lie flat UA F over a non-lie flat any day. Firm mattresses are better for my back (and probably yours as well).

The entertainment and food are generally crap on UA compared with the foreign competition, but the meal will be edible and the service should be decent (at least that has been my experience in C). Bring a book or your own portable DVD player if you need ent.
Old Oct 11, 08, 2:48 pm
tv

Flown UA 895 (ORD-SIN) yesterday and it was a reconfigured 747 with flat beds in C.
Old Oct 11, 08, 4:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
UA F wins. Channel 9, space, privacy, flat bed = sleep, control of a window shade. Nothing beats all that. Meals are perfectly adequate and the crew do a good job - from the view of my limited F Trans Pac flights. I just wish they would back-off with the requests to lower the window shades over the īnteresting bits.

SQ would only get a look-in if the sole attraction was cabin service and AVOD.
Old Oct 11, 08, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SQ PPS
While I guess it's too late to change your opinion, I would definitely choose UA on this one. Especially travelling NRT-USA, which becomes a night flight, I like being served a good dinner (UA food in F has never been bad for me, ever, although it is not up to the quality of SQ F, it is still very edible and tasty) quickly and then going to sleep for 10 hours, waking up and landing. The suites, especially in the nose of the 747 are really quiet and private with no one walking through the cabin and an aisle/window seat combined without anyone climbing over you. On the way back to Asia, however, if it were a day flight, I would be hard pressed to not choose SQ.
Old Oct 11, 08, 8:55 pm

Programs: ConU 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985

I will also admit that the F service this year from Asia-US and back and SYD-US and back has been very good. Very friendly and attentive FA's.
I have to agree with you. UA seat is much better than SQ. If you have to go to work at the end of the flight go with the UA F.
Old Oct 12, 08, 3:05 am

F>C
F>C
F>C

any questions?
Old Oct 12, 08, 9:43 pm

Programs: My posts represent my personal opinions based on public information and not the official views of UA
Originally Posted by Maclock View Post
Videocasettes? Really? The UA product will probably be good enough when the refurb is completed, but until then, I'll take my business elsewhere. NRT, the airport from which I will be departing, is not likely to see the new 747s by mid-December.
It really depends on whether you want the comfort of a flat bed and the privacy of a suite. With the SQ SpaceBed, you aren't truly flat (as others have mentioned) and you also can't easily get up from the window seat without literally jumping over your neighbor. Not to mention that meal service will be slower in Business vs. First (also keep in mind that SQ serves the pre-arrival meal incredibly early).

While the new 747 First Suite on UA has very nice fit and finish and on demand IFE, the current 747 product is fairly good. I wouldn't worry too much about the videotapes, they are the 8mm variety and most crews set a case out on the credenza so you can easily choose the movies you want to see during the flight. It is a little bit clunky, yes, but my guess on NRT-LAX is that you'd only watch one or two movies and that most of your time would be spent sleeping.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Oct 12, 08, 9:52 pm

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
hello just my two cents on this debate as I also know both products very well,

easy answer: if your priority is to sleep go with UA F, it is not the greatest seat but it is fully flat and thus very comfortable to sleep.

If you want to have good entertainment system as well as good food, wine and a good service then go with SQ C - it is as simple as that IMHO

Search this Thread
Search Engine: