Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus to Hawaii (Honolulu) from the West Coast or ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, US, UA, Marriott

Has anyone flown in Economy Plus between the West Coast and Honolulu? I am traveling from DC in around October, and am curious about how easy it is to upgrade to E+. I am a general Mileage plus member without status at present and hope to purchase the E+ upgrades per leg.

Have people found it easy or difficult to get E+ seats on these flights?

Also, is it better to fly through ORD to Hawaii from DC, or to break the trip in half by flying to the West Coast?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You will mostly likely be given the opportunity at time of purchase -- if purchasing more than few weeks or a month in advance. You will be able to see if this opportunity is available before making the purchasing decision.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:30 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
From DC to HNL is just 15K miles to upgrade to F. I think it's well worth it (if you have the miles).

FWIW - I prefer to break up the flight by changing planes at SFO. Also, you can return via LAX without taking a redeye.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:32 am
CVV

the past couple of times we've flown UA from ORD/LAX/LIH we were given the option of upgrading to E+ when we checked in online & then again when we checked our luggage at the airport. We were upgraded one segment w/o asking because we were traveling with my disabled mother. It was so much more comfortable than Econ :-)
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by redstripedave
Have people found it easy or difficult to get E+ seats on these flights?

Also, is it better to fly through ORD to Hawaii from DC, or to break the trip in half by flying to the West Coast?
You defintely won't have a problem purchasing E+ for your flights... you should do it online at the time of booking.

As far as where to change planes that's up to you. There is no difference in the service provided onboard and the mileage earned difference is negligble. One possible benefit to ORD that may appeal to you is that you can fly out of DCA or IAD. If you change on the west coast you'll need to go out of IAD. I would consider that as well as price and convenience of flight times.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I have done both and I prefer taking UA1 or UA2...especially if I am in F. If I am riding E+ I typically do a HNL-west coast because it breaks up the trip.

Halothane
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:56 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I would prefer E+ on a 777 and 767 over a 757 as the seats on the former are a little wider and the two-abreast seating. LAX has a few 757 flights to/from HNL.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
IIRC you can pull up your itinerary, and you will be given the option to buy E+ with a chance to preview the seats available, and the cost is given per leg.

At least that was my experience when I pulled up a friend's award ticket under my "My Itineraries".

No need to commit at time of booking (except possibly getting better seat availability) or wait until check-in.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:24 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
As a General Member, I got a free upgrade to an Economy Plus seat on a KOA-SFO flight that was full. I originally had an aisle regular economy seat, but found that my seat assignment was changed to an aisle Economy Plus seat upon checkin (I was not allowed to select a different Economy Plus seat even though there were some available, though).

Probably means that if you want to buy up to Economy Plus, there are likely to be some available.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Unless I were sitting in F, I would never in a million years take those non-stops from ORD....basically they are transatlantic in length and domestic cross-country in service...no thanks, I need to be able to move my legs when I get to HNL or OGG....
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum
When i go to my itineraries, it asks me if i would like to purchase E+ for my kids (wife and i are booked in e+). Try looking at your itineraries, click view/modify and see if you are given the option.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Note that Hawaii loads appear to be significantly lighter this fall than normal - UA didn't drop prices after Labor Day that much, so if you book your seats with empty seats between you, you might get a lot more room! But I also agree - 15K to upgrade to F is a bargain on that routing.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, LH, BMI, BA, HHilton
I've been looking for booking ORD-HNL for June '09 and it's real light as well. I know it's still a ways out, but in the past years things have been more booked.

F Cabin from ORD-HNL isn't too bad, it's still a LONG flight though!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by gre
From DC to HNL is just 15K miles to upgrade to F. I think it's well worth it (if you have the miles)...
I did it once ... it is bearable either way. But I strongly agree - other than having a full fare coach ticket ex. Asia - this is the ideal route to upgrade with miles, especially on the ORD-HNL services.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Use the miles. 15K miles to upgrade ORD-HNL is one of the best uses of them that I can think of. Also, with 15K miles each way, you can upgrade in advance if the seats are available. I would book flights with the seats available at the time of booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.