Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Flight to New Zealand Using UA Miles?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Flight to New Zealand Using UA Miles?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
Newbie Post

i am United GS, have several hundred thousand miles to burn and am looking for a trip to Australia/New Zealand with wife and 3 children in Feb 08, any thoughts on how i should proceed, not sure if this will be in economy or use some of my SWU

thanks
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lehms
i am United GS, have several hundred thousand miles to burn and am looking for a trip to Australia/New Zealand with wife and 3 children in Feb 08, any thoughts on how i should proceed, not sure if this will be in economy or use some of my SWU

thanks
If you have several hundred thousand miles to burn why not save the cash and use miles for a saver award in Business (90000) or 1st (120000)?

It depends how you want to pay for your trip based upon your upgrading tools.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
Your home airport would help,although there appear to be few if any F or C saver awards, plenty of Y awards available if you book soon. If willing to kill a lot of miles, there are plenty of standard award routings available. Or you could try OZ.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly2work
If you have several hundred thousand miles to burn why not save the cash and use miles for a saver award in Business (90000) or 1st (120000)?
Award levels recently went up so it is now 110K in C and 140K in F. I agree that an award, especially on Air New Zealand, would be a great use of miles!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

thanks, is OZ preferable if i decide to use mileage in coach or pay for coach and try to use SWU?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lehms
thanks, is OZ preferable if i decide to use mileage in coach or pay for coach and try to use SWU?
OZ is typically Australia or Asiana, but I am not sure what that posted is referring to. SWU's can only be used on UA and on a standby basis on LH, so I am not sure what that would mean.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

my bad thanks for the advice, again i am a newbie, and any information is helpful
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Award levels recently went up so it is now 110K in C and 140K in F. I agree that an award, especially on Air New Zealand, would be a great use of miles!
You are right lucky should have remembered as i booked to NRT on ANA and it was 110000 each for the 3 of us
Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly2work
You are right lucky should have remembered as i booked to NRT on ANA and it was 110000 each for the 3 of us
Woah, to NRT? That should only have been 90K in C, or 120K in F. That's strange.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Woah, to NRT? That should only have been 90K in C, or 120K in F. That's strange.
Can't keep up with my award tickets!

Your right it was 90K each, burned 110K on something else in the last couple of months but I have so much travel can't figure out which one it was and whether I cancelled it
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: United Gold
Award seat to New Zealand?

Hi,

I'm trying to book 4 C class tickets to New Zealand from SAN using my miles. I will be flexible with my dates (anywhere from Dec 2008 to Mar 2009) and plan to call UA 330 days prior to departure. I've tried this last year with no luck.

Any tips, advise, dates/months where I can get 4 award seats in C class?

Many thanks!
Fitgal
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:44 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Hate to say it but I think it is very unlikely you would find 4 together at one time. You might find 2 at 330 and 2 close in, but that's a big risk.

Is it an option to purchase any of the tickets (maybe Y class and upgrade)? Or fly different flights (maybe some NZ and some UA through SYD)?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
4 business award seats on the same flight - zero chance. NZ sells a lot of business class between USA and NZ, so not a lot available for awards.

Try breaking up into different flights - routing and/or dates. Remember to check both LAX-AKL and SFO-AKL. Also try the island hopper flights or via HNL (but these have 767 = old business class not the business premier suites). Consider going via Australia. SYD or MEL to NZ is a fairly short flight.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Good luck.

Looking 8 months out, I was able to score one seat LAX-AKL in NZ 777 C and a return via the South Pacific in NZ 763 C.

I have alot of flexibility and have been scanning Apr-May with the ANA tool trying to shift by a day or two and I've only seen 1 other seat come and go (quick) that didn't work out.

Last edited by im-headed-west; Nov 25, 2007 at 5:04 pm
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
So if you are looking for 2 C seats, would the expectation be to confirm 1 C and 1 Y seat and then hope for another C seat to open up? (Assuming there isn't 2 C seats open)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.