Petition to Save United C & F Service

Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Petition to Save United C & F Service

For all of the frequent UA flyers here, the cutbacks and debasing of United's C & F products here is quite obnoxious. Penny wise and pound foolish. The threads documenting the decline of PS are quite sad, and United should be ashamed to charge the price that it does on the JFK-LAX & JFK-SFO routes.

For the cases of declining PS F service, it is covered by this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...208&highlight=

I also think the switch of C meals to BOB flights domestically ex IAD is a foolish attempt to devalue its C class as well. United;s C class is an even better product than its domestic F on 757 & 767s. Let's try and ensure that United keeps the quality.

The fruit and cheese plate being served as a meal to F customers returning from Hawaii at night and also as a snack dish is insulting. I do not think I have ever had any fruit and cheese plate with edible fruit, the fruit is either soggy or spoiled and the cheese is nasty as well. The apples and cheese in the RCC is always better and fresher than what is served as the dish on the plane.

P.S. If any poster wish to add links to relevant threads that show this, then please PM me and I will add them to this original post.

Last edited by chitownflyer; Sep 18, 2008 at 9:44 pm
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Agreed 1000%
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:14 am

Highly agreed. Utterly disgraceful. I'm definitely looking at other airlines for a status match.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA1K
so what exactly do you think a petition is going to do?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
A petition, while perhaps well intentioned, is about as useful as TP in a broken RCC bathroom stall. What everyone should do is set up a method of tracking and documenting the C/F tickets you're NOT buying on UA (receipts and such for other carriers) due to what you don't like and make that visible. A list of names of people that are "mad" does nothing.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
A petition, while perhaps well intentioned, is about as useful as TP in a broken RCC bathroom stall.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
IIRC the petition that UA pilots collected from customers on glentilton.com who were upset about the removal of free meals in economy on trans-Atlantic flights weighed significantly in United's decision to reverse this decision.

I will be happy to sign a petition and/or send a letter. For the petition, please let us know where you would like us to do this.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
I also think the switch of C meals to BOB flights domestically ex IAD is a foolish attempt to devalue its C class as well. Let's try and esnure that United keeps the quality
They decided not to do this and frankly I think the guy who came up with the silly idea in the first place will think more carefully next time, lest he find himself without a job.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
They decided not to do this and frankly I think the guy who came up with the silly idea in the first place will think more carefully next time, lest he find himself without a job.
No, this is still in place... effective October 1.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
IMO, the best thing UA customers can do is to write directly with your concerns about specific product issues - like reduced meal service in premium cabins and reduced flight attendant staffing. Threaten to move your business elsewhere! It worked on the TATL decision and will let them know that we do in fact notice their service reductions.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Write UA

Recently the TATL Y BOB was rescinded.
Thank you for your direct, candid feedback on the test we had planned to launch in the fourth quarter for food choices on some of our flights. We heard you and have decided not to move forward with the test of offering customers buy-on-board options in United Economy on certain trans-Atlantic flights. We will continue to offer complimentary hot meals on those flights.

The response from many of our corporate and Mileage Plus elite customers, even before we launched the test, told us what we would have undoubtedly learned had we proceededyou value our hot meal service in economy class for international flights.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 18, 2008 at 1:25 pm
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Write UA

Agreed - getting one's voice out is imperative.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If they want to make more money. Why can't upgraded to business class passengers on domestic three cabin flights have a way to buy up to First Class on the day of departure? It has been my observation that first class is full of standby or NRSA passenger. Why not sell these seats? I agree with this post and I for one will avoid three class flights.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is experiencing a substantial identity crisis. Living their past glory, we see new F/C hard product and a continued attempt at premium classes on all mainline routes. That's fine and dandy until the bean counters speak up, and suddenly costs are being cut left and right, and items that were once part of an airfare now come at an additional cost. (I know, I know...airlines have set up expectations by providing these things for "free," but that's their fault.) The money needs to come from somewhere, and we've all observed the cutbacks.

It's painfully obvious that UA is challenged in trying to sustain as the premium carrier they think they are, but it's clear to many that their service levels are approaching those of WN, if they haven't sunk that low already.

Personally, I'd be okay with United's cost cutting, additional fees and diminishing/removing F/C if they'd just admit they are no longer a premium carrier rather a competitive and safe airline with a strong route network in the U.S. and abroad. But for them to think their p.s. product is worth a premium, or their new F/C is on par with international competition when departure lounges are threadbare RCCs and food is still of the T.V. dinner-type, they really need to leave the ego at the door and lay off the bong.

So while I'd like to see their F and C products "saved," I really don't think they can pull it off given their current situation, so I'm afraid such a petition won't do much of anything.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by haddon90
so what exactly do you think a petition is going to do?
Originally Posted by John26
IIRC the petition that UA pilots collected from customers on glentilton.com who were upset about the removal of free meals in economy on trans-Atlantic flights weighed significantly in United's decision to reverse this decision.

I will be happy to sign a petition and/or send a letter. For the petition, please let us know where you would like us to do this.
what John26 said-and not to forget the elimination of having e-500's automatically converting to miles being rescinding (tho with some restrictions) but it was a voice which was heard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.