Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, I won a trip to Australia on United...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Monolith2
So I went online to see about upgrading to E+. I found where I can buy the annual option for $350/yr... but I guess i'm a little gunshy, now. I know it probably doesn't sound like a lot to you guys, but for me (a 24 y/o with lots of student debt) it's gonna mean cutting way back on some of the stuff I had hoped to see and do while in Oz. Maybe I can just hitch a ride on a cargo ship... lol.
Fair enough. Here are some ideas of how you can increase your comfort for free:
1) Ask if they can block one or two open seats next to you.
2) Ask if you can get an exit row seat (there are 3+ available for the outbound and 6+ for the return)
3) Ask at checkin and at every gate if there are better seats available. It never hurts to ask.
4) If everything fails, look for empty seats when boarding. When you the hear "boarding completed" announcement, jump to the better seats.

But honestly, I think that right now I'm leaning towards regular economy and just trying to get up and stretch every few hours. I mean, a few hours of discomfort is worth it for a chance to do more stuff once I'm in Sydney, right?
Yes. We're very picky here on FT. Sydney is an amazing city and you'll have a great time ^

The flight is UA839 departing LAX at 10:37 PM on September 24th.
The seat map looks pretty full in regular economy. Most of the window and aisle seats are requested. Can you log into united.com and select seats ? You probably want an aisle seat if you want to be able to strech.

For those of you who were curious about what the return flight was, it's UA870 departing Sydney at 3:40 PM on October 8th.
Most of the aisle seats are already requested, but there seems to be slightly more empty seats than on Sept 24.

Have a great time in Sydney
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
One more thing make sure you put a mileage plus or *Alliance FF number in your name for this K class ticket it is eligible for miles.

Even if you think you will never get enough for a free ticket you never know what direction life will take you in the future.

Last edited by Dan6681; Sep 18, 2008 at 7:24 pm Reason: Look below
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dan6681
One more thing make sure you put a mileage plus or *Alliance FF number in your name for this K class ticket it is eligible for miles.

Even if you think you will never get enough for a free ticket you never know what direction life we'll take you in the future.
That's an excellent point ! Monolith2, you should get around 20'000 miles for this trip. Almost enough for a domestic R/T ticket.

Although it doesn't sound like you fly a lot, if you reach 25'000 miles this year on United, you'll get Premier elite status (we call it 2P), thus getting E+ for free for all of next year
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I know it's kinda corny, but I have to name each of you guys... tegwj, Ripper3785, bdeardorff, UnitedSkies, SWB, MarcWPhoto, flyerbjorn, Dan6681, and everyone else I embarrassingly missed, thanks for all the help, advice and info!

I'm gonna try to plan out exactly what I want to do most when I'm "down under" and see if I can squeeze in that Economy Plus Annual deal. If not, though, you guys had a ton of great tips on ways to make the flight in E- a little more manageable and even some ideas on how I might be able to snag a better seat at the airport.

Now I just have to think of a really awesome souvenir to get you all...

Cheers, mates!!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: MP 1K to 2P - painful
Sometimes it seems there's a lot of complaining and jumping on people for being newbies in this forum, but I have to say this thread really demonstrates the very best of flyertalk both in terms of generosity and helpful advice.

Bon Voyage, you'll have a great time in Oz!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
I wish I had 3P status to gift but I stupidly gave it to my 4 year old before UA decided to let us 1K's bring our entire touring party to E+ as a perk.
Good Luck and ^ to the person who offered up a SWU.
Cheap B*******, giving you K class to SYD
Some cheap good eats on the street behind the Hilton in Sydney.
Good Luck and have fun
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, UA (no status, but lots of miles!)
Why not call the company running the promotion and see if they can get you E+? If they have a deal with United or if you won this trip in conjuction with a United or Tourist Board sponsored event, it might be possible. If the company has an account manager w UA, it can be done.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by msimons
If you're determined to go, see your doc for trip recommendation & possible blood thinners and/or aspirin.

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!

You will be fine with E+, or E- and an open seat next to you.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:53 pm

Congrats on the win. Enjoy your trip and don't let people make you think that an E- seat will kill you.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!

You will be fine with E+, or E- and an open seat next to you.

Enjoy!
Kidding about blood thinners? No a lot of Australians take injections of Heparin. They can get them from their GP. We are talking about a 16 hour flight.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Just when I log on to Flyertalk and think I'm going to see five pages worth of complaints because the FA did not place the napkin the right side up on the tray table in F, I get reminded of the generosity on FT!

Great thread. Congratulations OP and enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:23 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I'm not sure that exit row (if available) are really a good idea - great room for your legs but b/c the seat dividers are fixed the seat itself is narrow and at 300 lbs I'm not sure you'd "fit" nor be very comfortable (but of course your seat mates would appreciate your not "intruding" on their space ).

If the flight is as lightly booked as others have indicated your best bet might be to try to get the gate agent to block one or more seats next to you - you'll be happier and they won't get complaints from the people next to you
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:05 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott Premier
Originally Posted by anthro
Sometimes it seems there's a lot of complaining and jumping on people for being newbies in this forum, but I have to say this thread really demonstrates the very best of flyertalk both in terms of generosity and helpful advice.

Bon Voyage, you'll have a great time in Oz!
Antrho, I agree! At one time we were all "newbies/lurkers" until we started reading and learning. Kudos to all of you for helping/assisting!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: WWMFD
Any trip to Oz is a good trip, especially in your case. Additional kudos to to the offer of the SWU. ^

Have a great trip & hoist a VB for me! Oh, and don't try the INXS trick.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by estnet
I'm not sure that exit row (if available) are really a good idea - great room for your legs but b/c the seat dividers are fixed the seat itself is narrow and at 300 lbs I'm not sure you'd "fit" nor be very comfortable (but of course your seat mates would appreciate your not "intruding" on their space ).

If the flight is as lightly booked as others have indicated your best bet might be to try to get the gate agent to block one or more seats next to you - you'll be happier and they won't get complaints from the people next to you
He is also tall so he shouldn't have trouble with the tray in table seat. I am 6 3 and 285 and it works for me. But......I would never fly more than 5 hours in E- or +

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.