Palmdale service ending

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Palmdale service ending

Early December.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So doubling the frequency didn't work, I guess.

Looks like .bomb lets you still book flights around Xmas.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:56 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
That was fast.

Didn't even last as long as MDW or RFD.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:35 pm

Hmm they are still selling tickets from PMD, and they are cheaper, If I book will they probably rebook me from BUR?

OP do you have a source for this?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
No surprise there.

Bleh.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:49 pm
Original Member

Guess the subsidies are being pulled as this is the only item keeping this running. The thought was doubling the flights with smaller aircraft would work, but I guess that wasn't the case.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by gomike
OP do you have a source for this?
The old PMD thread (now closed) has this link to an LA Times story:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-m...,5587770.story
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
One real shame is that the GSA never got their act together in allowing Government travelers to use this route and build a business base with some potential for volume. PMD was not a part of the City Pair program for FY2008 so for all the trips I took there in the past 11 months I flew to LA and drove. Of course now that they finally get a Government contract to PMD for FY2009 it is extremely overpriced
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
The CrankyFlier has an good analysis.

http://crankyflier.com/
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
One real shame is that the GSA never got their act together in allowing Government travelers to use this route and build a business base with some potential for volume.
Agreed, there was some possibility for PMD's success if they could get more government fliers using it (my government contracts allowed me to use it, and I did, twice, for travel to Edwards).

Otherwise, I've flown from PMD several times, but mostly since they seemed desperate for passengers (weekend trips to SFO while at Edwards, $99 RT was a pretty good way to cover that distance)
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
One real shame is that the GSA never got their act together in allowing Government travelers to use this route and build a business base with some potential for volume. PMD was not a part of the City Pair program for FY2008 so for all the trips I took there in the past 11 months I flew to LA and drove. Of course now that they finally get a Government contract to PMD for FY2009 it is extremely overpriced
Did UA ever offer government fares during FY2008? Continental, even before they totally withdrew from the GSA city pair program, offered government fares on routes not awarded by GSA. UA could have done that on PMD-SFO between June 7, 2007 and September 30, 2008. Apparently they didn't, and the FY2009 "bids" are so ridiculous.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Did UA ever offer government fares during FY2008? Continental, even before they totally withdrew from the GSA city pair program, offered government fares on routes not awarded by GSA. UA could have done that on PMD-SFO between June 7, 2007 and September 30, 2008. Apparently they didn't, and the FY2009 "bids" are so ridiculous.
None for PMD that I was able to find in FY08. On top of that, the real problem is agency by agency. My travel folks are very particular (I have another name for it of course ) about routing, contract carriers, etc. so if it doesn't appear in their system (like PMD) I'm probably not going to be flying on it.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:24 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I believe "DG" type fare were filed, but since no contract was issued for 2008 covering PMD, it didnt appear as an official route to anywhere. Same govt rules would apply, but if the GSA and GAO wanted you to drive to LAX because no official award was given, they shot themselves in their own foot....and UA on this route as well.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
There goes one of the primary reasons why I jumped to UA this past year. Meh, 'twas fun while it lasted...

I attended the open house a month prior to the initiation of services. It seemed like everyone in the event was just oozing with optimism...and here we are again, almost a year and a half later and back to where we started...

What makes things even more interesting is how much was spent for the Palmdale Flyer bus service that connected PMD with the Van Nuys Fly Away and the Metrolink Via Princessa Station in Santa Clarita: $75,000 with only less than 80 passengers ever using it since it's inception. It was a nice, cheap option to get from PMD to LAX (via Van Nuys) when it lasted though.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
as long as an airline has a fare that is 1 dollar LOWER than any Gvt fare, with the same restrictions, then CWT/SATO is allowed to book it.

For Palmdale & other markets "not covered", there is some wierd formula for determining if official gvt travelers can fly or drive, and they have to be on a fare similar to other gvt fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.