Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United CSR refusing to cancel a segment of my itinerary

Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

So I had an SFO-SEA itinerary booked for this weekend. My gf and I are going up to Vancouver. Last minute, I had to go to NY for work. So I just booked the following:

SFO-JFK -- LGA-DEN-YVR

I want to cancel the first portion of the ticket. I have had this situation occur MULTIPLE TIMES before, and they always can cancel one leg of my trip. Is there a specific policy I can cite to have her do this for me? Or did I just get lucky before? If so, I'm really screwed because I need the return flight from SEA-SFO at the end of the weekend... and i know if i just "miss" the first portion of the ticket, it will cancel the rest of the itinerary - help!
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't just selectively cancel portions of your ticket without a re-fare, and doing it somewhat last minute could make the fare difference significant.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I've probably done this five or six times before... this is the first CSR to give me trouble.

I don't get why UA wouldn't WANT to do it... I'm paying for a round trip, but now i'm taking up one less seat that they can sell - sounds like a deal to me.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 9, 2008 at 3:29 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I've probably done this five or six times before...
I'm amazed they would let you do it on a non-refundable ticket. You must have found someone who didn't care about their job...
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't get why UA wouldn't WANT to do it... I'm paying for a round trip, but now i'm taking up one less seat that they can sell - sounds like a deal to me.
Well because of the way pricing works out. If the OP has to be on that flight, he'll pay the fare difference. Take for example a TPA-SFO trip through IAD both ways for $250. The cheapest IAD-SFO published fare right now is ~$600. Should someone just be able to jump on in IAD when having booked a flight from TPA? It doesn't make sense sometimes, but considering how sensitive some markets are I definitely see where they're coming from.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You must have found someone who didn't care about their job...
So would you say they're worthy of being fired?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
So would you say they're worthy of being fired?
Defintely not from a customer standpoint, but management might view the loss of revenue differently...
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P, CX MPC, CO
The only thing I've ever been able to do in this situation is convert to a one-way and receive a voucher for the difference. I've actually never known anyone to be successful doing what you describe - so that is pretty amazing, that you've succeeded in the past.

One thing you COULD try is, if you booked the new tickets within 24 hours, cancelling them, booking to SFO instead, flying SFO-SEA, then taking the train, the bus or a car to YVR from SEA. It would be end-to-end ticketing, and I don't know that it would necessarily save you money, but it depends...
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
So I had an SFO-SEA itinerary booked for this weekend. My gf and I are going up to Vancouver. Last minute, I had to go to NY for work. So I just booked the following:

SFO-JFK -- LGA-DEN-YVR

I want to cancel the first portion of the ticket. I have had this situation occur MULTIPLE TIMES before, and they always can cancel one leg of my trip. Is there a specific policy I can cite to have her do this for me? Or did I just get lucky before? If so, I'm really screwed because I need the return flight from SEA-SFO at the end of the weekend... and i know if i just "miss" the first portion of the ticket, it will cancel the rest of the itinerary - help!
Were the prior trips (where you were able to make the change) booked in a different booking code, such as a fully refundable one?

You need to familiarize yourself with the fare rules -- the fact that you have omitted this information implies that you have not heretofore paid any attention to it. Leaping to the conclusion that it is somehow the CSR's fault that they won't make the desired change (as suggested by the thread title) is unfair.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Were the prior trips (where you were able to make the change) booked in a different booking code, such as a fully refundable one?

You need to familiarize yourself with the fare rules -- the fact that you have omitted this information implies that you have not heretofore paid any attention to it. Leaping to the conclusion that it is somehow the CSR's fault that they won't make the desired change (as suggested by the thread title) is unfair.
I wonder if they were booked in markets where AS competes - AS, for a time, sold all trips as "two one ways" rather than full round trips. UA may have matched fare rules.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I want to cancel the first portion of the ticket. I have had this situation occur MULTIPLE TIMES before, and they always can cancel one leg of my trip.
Did you do this instance "multiple times" or did you cancel the last legs of your flight before (throw away ticketing)?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Maybe you just had a bad experience with the CSR; why not phone the 1K line again and try to have another CSR help you on this? Or try to speak with a supervisor? Maybe the rules have changed since the last time you've done this, but they'll make an exception for you (since you're 1K). Or if it's a case of the fare code as Kathy mentions, then you may be stuck.

Michael

I've probably done this five or six times before... this is the first CSR to give me trouble.

Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 2P, CX MPC, CO
One question...have there been irrops in the past? Other (UA-caused) problems like schedule changes? Agents are willing to do a lot during irrops, including letting you handle getting to the next leg of your connection - especially for short flights (for example, PHL-EWR, EWR-IAD, etc)

You can certainly convert your ticket to a one-way and keep the remainder as a travel credit. Is this what has happened in the past?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:24 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rjque
I wonder if they were booked in markets where AS competes - AS, for a time, sold all trips as "two one ways" rather than full round trips. UA may have matched fare rules.
Correct, if the original SFO-SEA fare did not require a roundtrip purchase the OP should have success in getting one segment cancelled. The rationale is that if the OP purchased separate SFO-SEA and SEA-SFO tickets, it would be the same price, and he could no-show on one without impacting the other.

But if this isn't the case and the fare rule does require a roundtrip purchase, then a refare will be required. But since this change in personal travel plans was caused by work travel demands, I can't see why the OP can't just expense these fees to his employer.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by das
I can't see why the OP can't just expense these fees to his employer.
Yup I ended up doing just that - i just try and be a good corporate citizen...
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
First of all, how would you get to NY if you dropped the first leg of the trip? was it cheaper to book the SFO-JFK--LGA-DEN-YVR vs booking the LGA-DEN-YVR as one?

If you are removing the first leg of a ticket, you are almost traveling or departing from a whole new city making a new fare.

The only time I have had segments removed from my ticket was on a MR/DO trip to SFO where i was flying IAD-SFO-LAS-SFO-IAD. When I booked the ticket i only wanted to fly IAD-SFO-IAD but that cost $500 more. I was able to get the SFO-LAS-SFO portion of the ticket removed in the RCC because the SFO-LAS flight was delayed enough to make me miss my fly back to SF for the dinner. So the RCC CSR called a SD and was able to remove the segment with out a problem. I just stayed in SF and went to the Giants game before the DO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.