Can't do OLCI if mixed metal int'l?

Old Sep 8, 08, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Can't do OLCI if mixed metal int'l?

Tried doing OLCI for my LAX-LHR-AMS trip. Said that it would attempt to check me in for the BMI portion but then that it couldn't. Fair enough. Then it said that it couldn't print my boarding pass for the LAX-LHR portion. Which confused me.

So I called the 1P line & she said I couldn't do BMI check-in online. Ok. Then I asked whether I was checked in for the LHR flight & why I couldn't get that BP to print. She said I was checked in but 'to solve any confusion I should uncheck-in'. Well that sounded like a recipe for disaster, so I just thanked her & hung up.

So then 10 minutes after that received a message from dot.bomb asking me if I wanted to check in for my LAX-LHR flight.

So now I'm not sure if I am or am not checked in. I can always go to LAX early so that's not a problem.

But can you not do OLCI when you're flying mixed metal, even for the UA portion? First time I've ever tried so wasn't certain.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 08, 3:43 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've done it without any problems with Air New Zealand as the 2nd leg when I flew LAX-SYD-AKL. (I was only able to check in for the LAX-SYD portion though).
Old Sep 8, 08, 3:57 pm

I've also done it IAD-FRA-OSL. I couldn't check in for the int'l segment (on LH), but I could check in online for the United portion.
Old Sep 8, 08, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just called the friend who is sponsoring the LAX-LHR portion w/ a SWU, and he's showing it as pulled so I'm assuming I've checked in for that at least. Will get there a few minutes early tomorrow & get the BP for both flights sorted. Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 08, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't worry that you're not checked in, simply because you got an e-mail inviting you to do so. I'm assuming you are checking in close to 24 hours in advance, and that you received the e-mail as part of a daily mass broadcast to those who are flying on UA within the next 24 hours, and that e-mail list data is compiled somewhat in advance of 24 hours before your flight.

If you log in again to check-in, OLCI should tell you whether or not you are already checked in for the UA portion.
Old Sep 8, 08, 4:16 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I just called the friend who is sponsoring the LAX-LHR portion w/ a SWU, and he's showing it as pulled so I'm assuming I've checked in for that at least.
I don't think that means anything. My SWU will dissapear from the summary when i sponsor them, and show as reserved upgrades. They won't change status to used until the flight has been flown.
Old Sep 8, 08, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
LHR is very unfriendly to OLCI on a mixed metal (but single PNR) itinerary from my experience - has anyone actually managed to get an OLCI boarding pass for LHR when it is not the start or end point of your trip?
Old Sep 8, 08, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
They won't change status to used until the flight has been flown.
This is certainly not true all the time. I've had upgrade instruments go from reserved to redeemed at check in

Jeff
Old Sep 9, 08, 7:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
But can you not do OLCI when you're flying mixed metal, even for the UA portion?
I just flew TXL-FRA-SFO, and was able to OLCI for the FRA-SFO flight (which was UA metal) without any problems. Good thing I did, too, because TXL couldn't print my FRA-SFO BP and I only made it to the gate about 15 minutes before the doors closed... good thing I had my BP saved as a PDF on my laptop or I couldn't have even made it to the gate!
Old Sep 9, 08, 11:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Checking in online for other carriers is a hit-or-miss issue. I couldn't even do it for a UA flight with a BD flight number (nor could I change my seat, or even see what other seats might be available). I frequent the BMI board, as well, and it sounds to me like their computer system rivals united.com for errors, inefficiencies, and the like. If this problem was restricted to one airline, it would not surprise me that it was BMI (don't get me completely wrong -- they have a great intercontinental product and I like flying them, but their upper management is too similar to UA's).
Old Sep 9, 08, 1:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by dliesse View Post
I frequent the BMI board, as well, and it sounds to me like their computer system rivals united.com for errors, inefficiencies, and the like. If this problem was restricted to one airline, it would not surprise me that it was BMI (don't get me completely wrong -- they have a great intercontinental product and I like flying them, but their upper management is too similar to UA's).
bmi's upper management isn't that bad, but their website and general IT makes dot.bomb look like a work of e-commerce genius that would make the head honchos of Google, Microsoft and Yahoo hold hands and bow in amazed awe in the direction of United's IT team.....

As you say though, if anyone's system would cause a problem it would definitely be bmi.
Old Sep 9, 08, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P DL GM HH PP
Originally Posted by cepheid View Post
I just flew TXL-FRA-SFO, and was able to OLCI for the FRA-SFO flight (which was UA metal) without any problems. Good thing I did, too, because TXL couldn't print my FRA-SFO BP and I only made it to the gate about 15 minutes before the doors closed... good thing I had my BP saved as a PDF on my laptop or I couldn't have even made it to the gate!
cepheid,
Surely you printed out your PDF boarding pass, and not just showed security your laptop's screen. Though it would be nice to have an electronic BP on a laptop/blackberry/cell phone linked to personal biometrics obviating the need for paper.

Last edited by cvn74n2; Sep 9, 08 at 3:35 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 9, 08, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by cvn74n2 View Post
Surely you printed out your PDF boarding pass, and not just showed security your laptop's screen.
Surely, I did not. I was as surprised by this as you. FRA security apparently works a bit differently. I specifically told the guy that I couldn't get my BP printed in TXL, and he said that it was no problem as long as I could show him an itinerary or something else that indicated I had an onwards flight from the correct gate. He said my on-screen PDF was just fine. I then still had to go to the gate to get a physical BP... the on-screen was only used to let me get to and through security.
Old Sep 9, 08, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
On my trip LAX-SFO-LHR-WAW a couple weeks ago, I was able to use OLCI for the UA portion all the way to LHR. The bags were tagged to WAW on LH, but I had to get my boarding pass at the airport rather than online.

For the return, well, this was the more interesting part. I did WAW-FRA the night before, and used OCLI on LH with no problem. For the next day's FRA-LHR-IAD-LAX, I tried OCLI on LH and received a message that it could not be done. When I went to the counter the next morning, I was told I had already checked in online all the way to LAX!

It was too bad because I really wanted to try LH's PDA boarding pass.
Old Sep 10, 08, 11:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
bmi's upper management isn't that bad...
I dunno -- if you think the people here have been up in arms over Ted, that's nothing compared to the furor over bmiBaby and other service degradations on any short-haul route.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: