Search

Nice surprise last week

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Nice surprise last week

So I had to fly to LHR for a sales meeting (just joined this British company after being laid off for two months...yeah!) and I was scheduled to fly phx-ord-lhr. I used my MP number for this account as I don't fly that horrible Tempe airline anymore thank god. Anyhow, my first leg was on US (company booked it via orbitz) and here I am sitting at the gate at T4 phx and I went up to the podium asking if an exit seat was available..."sorry sir there isn't...oh but hold on just a sec....would this be better--3A?" ^ So I was pretty happy about that and was looking forward to my 17B seat on the UA flight on their 763. Well, I go up to the podium at Chicago, and for some reason I was kicked out of E+ and my ... was in the back. Not happy obviously. The man quickly did about 85 key strokes and promptly handed me a 6A boarding pass. Double ^ Thanks UA (and US).

Oh by the way I glanced at the F seats on the 763--wow--horrible. I couldn't tell any discernible difference between that and the C seat I guess I wrong to assume all transatlantic UA F seats were the lay down suite. I don't know who in their right mind would pay or redeem miles for that matter for F on a UA transatlantic flight on their 763's.

I flew a 772 on the way home. 18B, nice seat, no complaints. Excellent crew, and the meals were pretty good in Y to be honest. The light snack served 1 hour to touchdown at ORD was a small ham and cheese sandwich on a roll, crisps, and a twix. The meal was a chicken with veg and au gratin potatoes. I took the 15.20 departure and let me tell you immigration was total chaos at ORD. It took me almost an hour to get through the line. It ticked me off that all the available booths for immigration agents were not being utilized

Took Ted back to phx. We shut the door on time at 19.58 and the pilot comes on to say he's getting a "No green light for the right front door" mechanic comes on board, fixes it, and we push back 35 mins later. 3 hours 15 mins to phx. Somewhere over the heartland I imagine there were these great storms to the south. At night it really is a spectacle! At any rate, we pulled into gate 3 at T2, and I was in my car at the T2 upper deck in 5 minutes, on the 51 in 5, and in my condo in Scottsdale within 20 mins

Cheers!
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
This is the first positive story featuring the phrase US Airways I think I've read in a decade. ^ glad you enjoyed your trip.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Excellent - glad you had a great flying experience, plus the UG! Did you pay with miles or e500 for the UG or was it a purely lucky gift?

Welcome home!

Michael
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Excellent - glad you had a great flying experience, plus the UG! Did you pay with miles or e500 for the UG or was it a purely lucky gift?

Welcome home!

Michael
Pure luck--and thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

oh, not to bring up a completely non - related issue, but since I flew Ted home I was wondering does anyone know when we can start to see more mainline coming into phx? This will determine whether I will be connecting in DEN or SLC next year
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by enviroian
I couldn't tell any discernible difference between that and the C seat
The difference is ... it's electric (and 1.5" wider). That's it.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
....and has the 8mm tape player.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
This is the first positive story featuring the phrase US Airways I think I've read in a decade. ^ glad you enjoyed your trip.
FWIW, I flew US this past week JAX-PHL and although I missed E+ the whole experience was no worse than any recent UA flight. The Airbus was worn & dirty to the same degree as most of UA's equipment, the staff was friendly, and everything ran on time. Of course, YMMV.

To the OP, I hope you enjoyed your bonii!! Its always nice when you have those little windfalls once in awhile, especially if you're a road warrior.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
....and has the 8mm tape player.
I didn't realize the 767 had that. I thought it was just the suites.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:19 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Oh by the way I glanced at the F seats on the 763--wow--horrible. I couldn't tell any discernible difference between that and the C seat I guess I wrong to assume all transatlantic UA F seats were the lay down suite. I don't know who in their right mind would pay or redeem miles for that matter for F on a UA transatlantic flight on their 763's.
This is probably one reason why the 767 is at the "front of the line" when it comes to UA reconfiguring its premium cabins....the new F product on the 767 is definitely competitive (at least seat wise).
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Great story! Yes the old 767 F seats are the worst, probably one reason the 767 was the first to get the new config.

I didn't realize the 767 had that. I thought it was just the suites.
I saw a bunch of those tapes last time I walked through the 767 F cabin... so i'm assuming it has them. Never bothered to sit up there.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Please. There's a ton more room, it reclines farther, the leg rest is substantially better, and the cushioning is better. Not a huge difference, but worthy of an SWU every time.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Yes the old F on 767's has that weird little tape player. The FA's pass around the box of movies after takeoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.