Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chances of New International Cabin SFO-LHR?

Old Sep 7, 08, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

Hi--I'm traveling this route over Christmas in F. Does anyone have any idea if the new F seats will be installed? I believe I"ll be in a 772.

Thanks!

Ian

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 8, 08 at 8:15 am Reason: Thread title was too vague
Old Sep 7, 08, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
If it's a 772, there's a 0.000000001% chance. They haven't even started any 772 conversions, and it's very doubtful there will be any until next year.
Old Sep 7, 08, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick answer! Has UA ever operated 744's on this route by chance?
Old Sep 7, 08, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Definitely - I just flew LHR-SFO on the upper deck on Monday.
Old Sep 7, 08, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Hi--I'm traveling this route over Christmas in F. Does anyone have any idea if the new F seats will be installed? I believe I"ll be in a 772.

Thanks!

Ian
Are you in paid, upgraded, or award F? Are you traveling alone or with others?

If you are flexible, you may consider taking a connection so you can get the new seats.
Old Sep 7, 08, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Thanks for the quick answer! Has UA ever operated 744's on this route by chance?
Yes, but for the last few years it has only been during the summer timetable - the lunchtime flight (UA 954) is a 747, whilst the evening flight (UA 930) is a 777.

For the winter timetable, however, both flights are operated with a 777
Old Sep 7, 08, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Are you in paid, upgraded, or award F? Are you traveling alone or with others?

If you are flexible, you may consider taking a connection so you can get the new seats.
This is an award. I dumped 100K miles from AMEX into a newly created AC account, then called them to redeem my ticket using the ANA tool in about 5 minutes. Oddly, I originally had a phx-den-lhr set up, and UAL for a reason not explained changed it to the phx-sfo-lhr routing. Of course I wasn't happy as I didn't want to fly Ted to sfo, so I called and got US F to sfo and back. What routing would you suggest I try to get the new seats--lax? iad?

Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 08, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
What routing would you suggest I try to get the new seats
I believe ORD-LHR has been getting the new seats.
Old Sep 7, 08, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
This is an award. I dumped 100K miles from AMEX into a newly created AC account, then called them to redeem my ticket using the ANA tool in about 5 minutes. Oddly, I originally had a phx-den-lhr set up, and UAL for a reason not explained changed it to the phx-sfo-lhr routing. Of course I wasn't happy as I didn't want to fly Ted to sfo, so I called and got US F to sfo and back. What routing would you suggest I try to get the new seats--lax? iad?

Thanks!
They switched you out of DEN-LHR because it will be discontinued after October.

If you want the new seats, depart the US via ORD or IAD. But unless you want to trade sleep for on demand entertainment, the new F suite is no different. Plus, if you switch to the ORD or IAD flights, you may get swapped with an old 767 that does not have flat bed seats in F.
Old Sep 7, 08, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST View Post
Plus, if you switch to the ORD or IAD flights, you may get swapped with an old 767 that does not have flat bed seats in F.
Yes! This happened to me, ORD-LHR. I learned an important lesson (had purchased a Z fare, my first, to experience the new C cabin). Well, at least I got it on UA 134 SFO-ORD...

I almost doubled down: when I found that ORD-LHR had been swapped out at the last minute for an older 767, I inquired about a buy-up to First, thinking that it would have the Suite. They wanted $700, which I thought was too much, and I luckily declined the offer. (I had forgotten that these older 767 don't even have the Suite in First, just "big seats")
Old Sep 7, 08, 10:44 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
For the UA LHR routes, it is mianly the 767s that have been retrofitted, and these operate on IAD & ORD flights.
Old Sep 8, 08, 12:19 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I flew First in May this year...SFO-LHR-SFO.

Believe me, glorified coach...lol...

And GS sometimes pay full fare to be up here...why?

Old Sep 8, 08, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I just did 954 SFO-LHR in C a couple of weeks ago on the 777, N206UA. None of them have the new seats, and this one had a particularly worn interrior.
Old Sep 9, 08, 2:28 am

Programs: United 1K 2.6MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold and ton of others on the bottom run.
955 on 30th August was new config

Well I can say i was very surprised after i believe an hours delay to take 955 from LHR-SFO on 30th. Everyone in "C" was buzzing even the crew and the new toys made the further 2.5 hour delay pass nicely.

So in future I might be planning on taking more of the 747 schedules to score another chance of the new config. So you may luck out on the SFO-LHR route.
Old Sep 9, 08, 2:57 am

Programs: NWA Gold Elite, AA Platinum Elite, United 1K
I was in the upper deck of UA 954 on Saturday (SFO-LHR). The new seats have not yet hit this aircraft, and the old ones are really looking work in some cases. I'm on a SFO-HKG flight in October with the new seats, so I'll get my first look!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: