FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Chances of New International Cabin SFO-LHR? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/863599-chances-new-international-cabin-sfo-lhr.html)

enviroian Sep 7, 2008 10:08 am

Chances of New International Cabin SFO-LHR?

Hi--I'm traveling this route over Christmas in F. Does anyone have any idea if the new F seats will be installed? I believe I"ll be in a 772.

Thanks!

Ian

mahasamatman Sep 7, 2008 10:09 am

If it's a 772, there's a 0.000000001% chance. They haven't even started any 772 conversions, and it's very doubtful there will be any until next year.

enviroian Sep 7, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for the quick answer! Has UA ever operated 744's on this route by chance?

Lightman7 Sep 7, 2008 10:16 am

Definitely - I just flew LHR-SFO on the upper deck on Monday. :D

zrs70 Sep 7, 2008 11:26 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 10326272)
Hi--I'm traveling this route over Christmas in F. Does anyone have any idea if the new F seats will be installed? I believe I"ll be in a 772.

Thanks!

Ian

Are you in paid, upgraded, or award F? Are you traveling alone or with others?

If you are flexible, you may consider taking a connection so you can get the new seats.

GroundStop Sep 7, 2008 11:36 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 10326295)
Thanks for the quick answer! Has UA ever operated 744's on this route by chance?

Yes, but for the last few years it has only been during the summer timetable - the lunchtime flight (UA 954) is a 747, whilst the evening flight (UA 930) is a 777.

For the winter timetable, however, both flights are operated with a 777

enviroian Sep 7, 2008 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 10326637)
Are you in paid, upgraded, or award F? Are you traveling alone or with others?

If you are flexible, you may consider taking a connection so you can get the new seats.

This is an award. I dumped 100K miles from AMEX into a newly created AC account, then called them to redeem my ticket using the ANA tool in about 5 minutes. Oddly, I originally had a phx-den-lhr set up, and UAL for a reason not explained changed it to the phx-sfo-lhr routing. Of course I wasn't happy as I didn't want to fly Ted to sfo, so I called and got US F to sfo and back. What routing would you suggest I try to get the new seats--lax? iad?

Thanks!

mahasamatman Sep 7, 2008 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 10328248)
What routing would you suggest I try to get the new seats

I believe ORD-LHR has been getting the new seats.

UnitedF1RST Sep 7, 2008 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 10328248)
This is an award. I dumped 100K miles from AMEX into a newly created AC account, then called them to redeem my ticket using the ANA tool in about 5 minutes. Oddly, I originally had a phx-den-lhr set up, and UAL for a reason not explained changed it to the phx-sfo-lhr routing. Of course I wasn't happy as I didn't want to fly Ted to sfo, so I called and got US F to sfo and back. What routing would you suggest I try to get the new seats--lax? iad?

Thanks!

They switched you out of DEN-LHR because it will be discontinued after October.

If you want the new seats, depart the US via ORD or IAD. But unless you want to trade sleep for on demand entertainment, the new F suite is no different. Plus, if you switch to the ORD or IAD flights, you may get swapped with an old 767 that does not have flat bed seats in F.

StingWest Sep 7, 2008 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST (Post 10328448)
Plus, if you switch to the ORD or IAD flights, you may get swapped with an old 767 that does not have flat bed seats in F.

Yes! This happened to me, ORD-LHR. I learned an important lesson (had purchased a Z fare, my first, to experience the new C cabin). Well, at least I got it on UA 134 SFO-ORD...

I almost doubled down: when I found that ORD-LHR had been swapped out at the last minute for an older 767, I inquired about a buy-up to First, thinking that it would have the Suite. They wanted $700, which I thought was too much, and I luckily declined the offer. (I had forgotten that these older 767 don't even have the Suite in First, just "big seats")

chitownflyer Sep 7, 2008 10:44 pm

For the UA LHR routes, it is mianly the 767s that have been retrofitted, and these operate on IAD & ORD flights.

pallensf Sep 8, 2008 12:19 am

I flew First in May this year...SFO-LHR-SFO.

Believe me, glorified coach...lol...:)

And GS sometimes pay full fare to be up here...why?

:)

Indurain Sep 8, 2008 2:28 pm

I just did 954 SFO-LHR in C a couple of weeks ago on the 777, N206UA. None of them have the new seats, and this one had a particularly worn interrior.

united954 Sep 9, 2008 2:28 am

955 on 30th August was new config

Well I can say i was very surprised after i believe an hours delay to take 955 from LHR-SFO on 30th. Everyone in "C" was buzzing even the crew and the new toys made the further 2.5 hour delay pass nicely.

So in future I might be planning on taking more of the 747 schedules to score another chance of the new config. So you may luck out on the SFO-LHR route.

MTW1000 Sep 9, 2008 2:57 am

I was in the upper deck of UA 954 on Saturday (SFO-LHR). The new seats have not yet hit this aircraft, and the old ones are really looking work in some cases. I'm on a SFO-HKG flight in October with the new seats, so I'll get my first look!