Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's New "Enrolled Friend" Employee Travel Benefit

United's New "Enrolled Friend" Employee Travel Benefit

Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:07 pm

Perhaps you ought to ask the employee sponsering your travel how standby buddy passes work.

You'll be hard-pressed to get a family of four to Australia. You might want to choose another destination.
Actually, August is one of the busiest travel times of the year. If you can wait until after Labor day, you'll stand a better chance of getting empty seats.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 5:24 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
/agree with others.
Down under is about the WORST place you can try at ANY time of year, especially when school is out here. For the same reasons...You CANNOT get F, C is full with upgrades, and Y is often weight restricted (i.e. any freight has priority over you) and 95% of employees (the other 5% are not very wise) will be traveling at a higher priority than you, and they most likely will be trying for a few days on both sides.

USA-SYD is served by 2 carriers only (although I think AC is now starting service) due to OZ govt protectionist rules(much more restrictive than LHR limitations.) The demand far outweighs the supply, which is why low fares don't show their heads often.

From DEN or CHI to Cedar Rapids/Des Moines is a good bet to use them without risking a few days of standing at the airport on both sides.

During the summer, many many many unaccompanied companions get VERY frustrated at both UA, and their "friends" becuase the friends didn't tell them the real chances of going to 1) LAS on a Fri, 2) Hawaii on any day, or SYD any day. By the 3rd day of trying, most people throw in the towel.

It isn't impossible, just isn't a good way to spend your time...but you will get a 1st hand experience of "employee travel" and may actually think it isn't such a great way to travel. The thing that is really going to hurt you is the quantity of people you have...the fewer the better, unless you are willing to split up and go different days if 1 or 2 seats happen to open up.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:59 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Actually, your standby priority will typically be ahead of many United Employees since you will be BP8, while many UA employees use BP10 to save money.
Not true, if an employee WANTS to get somewhere they will list for 8A and pay. Believe me, I pass ride A LOT and recently just about ruined my trip doing a BP10. Granted the agent told me it was 100 percent ok but it is my fault since we make the final decision. It's very risky if the loads are not ridiculously light. SYD is really an 8A destination. Also a good jumpseat opportunity.

To the OP, I would not plan on 4 people on the same flight as companions. Too far out for the loads at this point anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:00 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by fastair
/agree with others.
Down under is about the WORST place you can try at ANY time of year, especially when school is out here. For the same reasons...You CANNOT get F, C is full with upgrades, and Y is often weight restricted (i.e. any freight has priority over you) and 95% of employees (the other 5% are not very wise) will be traveling at a higher priority than you, and they most likely will be trying for a few days on both sides.

USA-SYD is served by 2 carriers only (although I think AC is now starting service) due to OZ govt protectionist rules(much more restrictive than LHR limitations.) The demand far outweighs the supply, which is why low fares don't show their heads often.

From DEN or CHI to Cedar Rapids/Des Moines is a good bet to use them without risking a few days of standing at the airport on both sides.

During the summer, many many many unaccompanied companions get VERY frustrated at both UA, and their "friends" becuase the friends didn't tell them the real chances of going to 1) LAS on a Fri, 2) Hawaii on any day, or SYD any day. By the 3rd day of trying, most people throw in the towel.

It isn't impossible, just isn't a good way to spend your time...but you will get a 1st hand experience of "employee travel" and may actually think it isn't such a great way to travel. The thing that is really going to hurt you is the quantity of people you have...the fewer the better, unless you are willing to split up and go different days if 1 or 2 seats happen to open up.
You could also look at splitting up cities, LAX and SYD.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:40 am

UA Employees - Buddy Pass Question

Hey there,

I have a quick question for UA employees:

My friend is giving me a pass to use on a SFO-PEK flight. He says that I cannot be listed in Int'l F because the employee has to actually travel with you and because they want to keep that cabin as least crowded as possible. Is this true?

Thanks,

Chalta
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:02 am

Programs: united
it's true. unless you are flying with an employee or a dependent you can't fly int'l first. but you can fly business. good luck..
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:52 am

Why are you doubting your friend in the first place?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk!^

You can do domestic first, can't do international first on a buddy pass without your buddy.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chalta
they want to keep that cabin as least crowded as possible.
That part is a lie , but it is true that the employee needs to be traveling with you.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: SQ PPS UA 1K MM
This is true. My friend recently listed me in F on KWI-IAD and upon checking in I was downgraded to C. (It was a trip out of my pocket and the cheapest fare was $2500) The benefit allows travel in F on domestic but not intl. Although it is in the end up to the agent. And a place like KWI the agents are worried about not making mistakes, therefore no bending rules. Which was fine as I had a wonderful crew. Those China routes are always pretty full, and F would be very unlikely for you anyway as a lot of C pax are using upgrades, and all employee non revs go before you. Be sure to dress correctly, and don't bother the agents, any problems with a non rev pax can lead to problems for the pass lender.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: all views expressed by me are mine only and do not reflect those of UAL or their partners
. Be sure to dress correctly, and don't bother the agents, any problems with a non rev pax can lead to problems for the pass lender.[/QUOTE]

Exacty**plz behave**lol!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dendomicile
it's true. unless you are flying with an employee or a dependent you can't fly int'l first. but you can fly business. good luck..
Actually, for International 3-cabin F, the employee is the only person that can bring a buddy pass into F.

-IFLYUA
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I was just curious to see whether or not it was actually possible to put that in on the computer as F Int'l and also how much I could talk the UA gate agent to put me in F. But from what I've read so far, not very possible at all and I would never want to put my friend's job into jeopardy.

But hey Business Class is still great.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: SQ PPS UA 1K MM
Let your friend book you how they want to book you thats that. You are paying $160 or so for Y or C to China... Honestly if you want F buy a C ticket and upgrade or an F ticket. Yes my friend booked me in F and there were about 5 open F seats on this 14 hour flight, but it is not my business to argue an united policy. (Well unless I was a revenue pax) I could have paid $2800 for biz and used an SWU and I chose to pay $200... Im glad I got C and excellent (surprising) service
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Reefdiver
Let your friend book you how they want to book you thats that. You are paying $160 or so for Y or C to China... Honestly if you want F buy a C ticket and upgrade or an F ticket. Yes my friend booked me in F and there were about 5 open F seats on this 14 hour flight, but it is not my business to argue an united policy. (Well unless I was a revenue pax) I could have paid $2800 for biz and used an SWU and I chose to pay $200... Im glad I got C and excellent (surprising) service
So you are saying your friend booked you in F, and then what happend at the gate? Also what does revenue pax mean?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.