Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's New "Enrolled Friend" Employee Travel Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's New "Enrolled Friend" Employee Travel Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jtrades
I know that CO employees just got access to UA flights on Jan 1 --- this is the first flight I'm booking through them...

Anyone else know?
I assume you are a CO employee as you make references to employeeRes. Given that information I'm quite astonished you don't know that there is no reciprocal agreement between UA and CO for companion pass travelers at this time, only for employees and eligibles.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ODTheATC
You cannot access the RCC or any lounge when non-reving. If you have a membership card, you can access the RCC, but your non-rev ticket won't be valid for any lounges.
Not entirely true: This was in 2006 but I was traveling non-rev (Uncle's pass) at ICN-SFO.

I don't know if it's always protocol there but they made me wait at check-in until they could confirm a seat for me. Once they confirmed my seat, they handed me the coveted gold boarding pass and I took that to Singapore's (IIRC, or whoever was affiliated with UA) lounge and got in with no problems.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:17 am

jtrades, just sent the link via private message. worldtrav, relax, "astonished"?? bit harsh there, the reciprocal agreements are only a couple of months old so if you haven't used or looked at them, then you won't know them. heck, i even had to doublecheck and i know ua weblist like the back of my hand. Kumbayah now everyone!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by PropClear
jtrades, just sent the link via private message. worldtrav, relax, "astonished"?? bit harsh there, the reciprocal agreements are only a couple of months old so if you haven't used or looked at them, then you won't know them.
Chillax as my kids would say. I'm "astonished" that an employee comes to a bulletin board to find information that is freely available (and accurate) internally.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Chillax as my kids would say. I'm "astonished" that an employee comes to a bulletin board to find information that is freely available (and accurate) internally.
fair enough. i'm assuming it's a buddy, not the employee, but who knows. chillax, i like that.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by chalta
Not entirely true: This was in 2006 but I was traveling non-rev (Uncle's pass) at ICN-SFO.

I don't know if it's always protocol there but they made me wait at check-in until they could confirm a seat for me. Once they confirmed my seat, they handed me the coveted gold boarding pass and I took that to Singapore's (IIRC, or whoever was affiliated with UA) lounge and got in with no problems.
That was in 2006.. Non-revs are not supposed to use the RCC. A fellow FTer, who is also a non-rev, has never been able to access the RCC/IFL when flying in intl F or intl C..
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That was in 2006.. Non-revs are not supposed to use the RCC. A fellow FTer, who is also a non-rev, has never been able to access the RCC/IFL when flying in intl F or intl C..
A non rev does have access to the RCC if they have bought a membership.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by worldtrav
A non rev does have access to the RCC if they have bought a membership.
With RCC membership, yes. Not with an INTL C or F ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I guess my question is: was I just very lucky to get a BP while checking in or is this protocol in some airports?

Because it makes sense to me, from an efficiency perspective, to make the non revs wait at check-in until they are sure they can get a BP.

Now I know this doesn't work in all cases because it can be too close to call and then it would take too much time for them to go thru security.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:34 pm

chalta, at least for legacy ua, you will never get a bp at check-in as a non-rev. i do disagree on your efficiency point, though, if loads are such that you have a super high chance of getting on, why not go ahead and issue the bp and eliminate the work of the gate csr assigning a seat? worse case scenario in a very, very small % of the time you may have to pull that bp back because of something.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by PropClear
chalta, at least for legacy ua, you will never get a bp at check-in as a non-rev. i do disagree on your efficiency point, though, if loads are such that you have a super high chance of getting on, why not go ahead and issue the bp and eliminate the work of the gate csr assigning a seat? worse case scenario in a very, very small % of the time you may have to pull that bp back because of something.
I'm not sure this is typical for the airport or country, but my enrolled friend returned with two companions from PEK to IAD last July, and at check-in, the agents -- he said they were contracted from another airline, but didn't know details -- handed the three non-rev boarding passes for C class with seat assignments.

He was actually on a separate PNR, needed to get back more urgently and therefore at BP8A priority. The group checked-in together, but after getting the BPs he pointed out he was eligible for F as he was on his own rez. The check-in agents told him the BPs were unchangeable, as did the gate agents, and that he must remain in C (F was open). Sounds to me as though the agents were simply undertrained contractees, but it may be customary for Chinese agents, contracted or not, to issue BPs at check-in to aid in clearing security.

(This is purely anecdotal.)
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:41 pm

Hi, my wife, our 18 month old and I are planning to fly with companion passes from San Francisco to Hong Kong. My question is, does my toddler need a companion pass or can she be listed as a lap child? Also are there any class restrictions with flying with a lap child if we fly with the companion pass? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Silver/Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ricerx
Hi, my wife, our 18 month old and I are planning to fly with companion passes from San Francisco to Hong Kong. My question is, does my toddler need a companion pass or can she be listed as a lap child? Also are there any class restrictions with flying with a lap child if we fly with the companion pass? Thanks in advance!
No need for a companion pass but upon check in, you need to announce the lap child.

There is a charge for the lap child internationally. I believe it to be 10% of whatever your service charge is.

Cannot travel in First, but I believe Business is OK.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I do miss the days of flying back and forth to Hawaii and being able to spot the NRSAs who were the only ones wearing dressier clothes, pants, etc.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ricerx
Under two years old the infant can travel as a lap. The employee should **NOT** list the infant unless you want the infant to have his/her own seat and you will pay the normal buddy pass charge.

If you want to travel with your child as a lap, simply notify the CSR when you check-in that you have a lap child. You will need to pay 10% of the buddy pass charge to the employee giving you the pass but it will not deduct from the annual allotment of passes we get for buddy pass travel.

Also, children under the age of eight are only allowed to travel in economy.

-IFLYUA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.