Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Dreaded Fruit and Cheese Plate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
There's worse in F...

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
I would like to state that domestic 2 class F service has become quite abysmal at non meal times. United's favorite choice is the dreaded fruit and cheese plate which is simply inedible and gross....<SNIP>
If you think that's bad, there's always the dreaded Salmon Salad or some pseudo not-quite-there Korean obento on the ICN-NRT run. You used to be able to get fruit & cheese as an option, but now are left with those dreaded two. Fruit & cheese would be heaven as an alternative. What really gets me is how ANA and OZ offer multicourse hot meal service (that's actually tasty) on the same run.

(note to self: stock up at the OZ lounge before leaving ICN)
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
would rather have the fruit plate then the gold snack mix (now that is just cruel). Remember if you dont want the fruit plate, you can always ask for a BOB meal instead if they are serving it.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
So I guess they switched some 'meal' routes to 'snack' routes.... MHT-ORD at 515p used to get the meal, but this past week it was the snack plate. Now, I don't oppose the snack plate, and actually like it. But I don't quite get it. And I really miss the pasta trio that I had several times earlier in the summer.

Here's what I don't get:

Deli meat is not cheap.
Fruit is not cheap.
Cheese is not cheap.

Pasta? Now that stuff is about 10 cents per pound in bulk!!! Is UA really saving money by switching from pasta to the deli plate?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by hobo13
So I guess they switched some 'meal' routes to 'snack' routes.... MHT-ORD at 515p used to get the meal, but this past week it was the snack plate. Now, I don't oppose the snack plate, and actually like it. But I don't quite get it. And I really miss the pasta trio that I had several times earlier in the summer.

Here's what I don't get:

Deli meat is not cheap.
Fruit is not cheap.
Cheese is not cheap.

Pasta? Now that stuff is about 10 cents per pound in bulk!!! Is UA really saving money by switching from pasta to the deli plate?
What, they serve plain boiled pasta with NO sauce, NO meat, NOTHING else? What exactly IS this pasta trio whereof you speak?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is fruit and cheese ever disgusting? Fruit is fruit and is healthy, and while cheese is not always top-notch cheese, I find it palatable.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
What, they serve plain boiled pasta with NO sauce, NO meat, NOTHING else? What exactly IS this pasta trio whereof you speak?
Of course it's got sauce and a little meat. But it's not high-grade meat like the deli slices (which are really good!).

Let's just say that when I was a grad student, I ate a LOT more pasta than fruit, cheese, and deli plates!

So you've never had pasta on United? Really?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Fruit is fruit and is healthy
Until our last flight, I would have disagreed strongly with you. This was the first time we had edible fruit on any UA flight. The blueberries, strawberries, and cantaloupe were all ripe and tasty. I hope this is a sign for the future.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Until our last flight, I would have disagreed strongly with you. This was the first time we had edible fruit on any UA flight. The blueberries, strawberries, and cantaloupe were all ripe and tasty. I hope this is a sign for the future.
I'm sorry that you have not had edible fruit until now. I've had 10+ fruit plates, each of which had edible fruit, all of which I consumed completely. Maybe I have lower standards?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by wakko11
It not too bad...could be worse.
Like the chicken salad that's offered in C on short haul international flights.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm sorry that you have not had edible fruit until now. I've had 10+ fruit plates, each of which had edible fruit, all of which I consumed completely. Maybe I have lower standards?
I've had countless (dozens) of fruit/cheese plates. They've all been at least OK -- usually better than OK.

However, I do understand that some people do not like cheese, because of personal and/or cultural food preferences. In such cases, they should make efforts to obtain a special meal if at all possible, or maybe one of the BOB offerings (both as suggested by others).
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
The new deli plate shows how little thought goes into the food items at United. A full forty something percent of the world's population does not eat meat and a good thirty something percent does not eat pork products. By placing both Turkey and a Ham slice in the deli plate and laying it square accross the cheese and the grapes/canteloupe, it makes it impossible for someone with these dietary restrictions to eat what would otherwise be a healthy, acceptable snack (Fruit, Cheese and Crackers).
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
The new deli plate shows how little thought goes into the food items at United. A full forty something percent of the world's population does not eat meat and a good thirty something percent does not eat pork products. By placing both Turkey and a Ham slice in the deli plate and laying it square accross the cheese and the grapes/canteloupe, it makes it impossible for someone with these dietary restrictions to eat what would otherwise be a healthy, acceptable snack (Fruit, Cheese and Crackers).
Except I would say for domestic flights, your percentage of those who don't eat pork or meat products is far less than 40% or 30%. We're not talking about flying between or to/from Muslim countries here.

And for those with dietary restrictions, there is always the special meal request.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Except I would say for domestic flights, your percentage of those who don't eat pork or meat products is far less than 40% or 30%. We're not talking about flying between or to/from Muslim countries here.

And for those with dietary restrictions, there is always the special meal request.
I do realize we are talking about domestic F. In case you hadnt noticed, the U.S. is a multicultural society with several ethnicities, languages and religions represented, even in United First!
The lackof thought United puts into it's meal choices impacts many people of Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist and some Christians, as well as those who abstain from meat for reasons besides faith.

To address the point of special meals, many people traveling in domestic F or J have either made their reservations or received their upgrades inside the special meal request blackout window (72 hours) making the availability of such meals pointless. Furthermore, the special meal request process is not very tight (that's putting it charitably). In fact out of about 30 odd segments in domestic F this year, the only time they got my request right this year was at breakfast time three days ago. My balls almost dropped when I heard the words "Mr. PhlyingRPh, here is your special meal" - surprisingly, it looked lovely and smelled great - it's a pity I was fasting, but my seat mate devoured it when he realized I couldn't ).
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
. . . the special meal request blackout window (72 hours) . . .
For the second time in this thread, it is 24 hours.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
I like it when they add blueberries!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.