Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice: UA charged my parents for trying to standby for non-stop flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice: UA charged my parents for trying to standby for non-stop flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you all for your replies. I agree the problem is the route change for standby, I am just not sure whether it's legal standby or not. I guess it's depended on the good grace of the GA to allow change of routing standby.

By the way, I know for sure Canada is allowed for standby, as previous poster suggested, I have done it before when I flown SFO-YVR even between UA/AC metal. And I am pretty sure, even when you have International ticket, domestic portion standby is allowed.

Thank you all!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
I would have told them to say nothing in TPE and ask in SFO.
Exactly. Making changes at TPE would hardly be "standing by"; it would be confirming a change, which is what appears to have happened. Standing by would involve getting on the list at the airport of departure.

If OP's family had gone to the SFO-YYZ gate, they could have stood-by per S*FAR/STANDBY.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beanex
Thank you all for your replies. I agree the problem is the route change for standby, I am just not sure whether it's legal standby or not. I guess it's depended on the good grace of the GA to allow change of routing standby.
Technically yes, in practice it isn't a problem.

When flying AAA-BBB-CCC, I've never had problems or been asked to pay a fee -- even as a GM -- when standing by for an earlier AAA-CCC flight. The tricky part is when you're booked AAA-BBB-CCC and want to standby for AAA-DDD, where DDD is a co-terminal of CCC. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. Many GA's know the "trick" of, say, booking SFO-ORD-LGA, then trying to standby for the p.s. nonstop.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by beanex

By the way, I know for sure Canada is allowed for standby, as previous poster suggested, I have done it before when I flown SFO-YVR even between UA/AC metal. And I am pretty sure, even when you have International ticket, domestic portion standby is allowed.

Thank you all!
No the problem is they asked for standby and got a confirmed seat. They didn't ask or the rep didn't understand the request. The standby should have occurred in SFO, TPE was irrelevant to this mix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.