Search

NYTIMES = UA defined as "struggling"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2008, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
NYTIMES = UA defined as "struggling"

In an otherwise upbeat article, this morning's NYTIMES rated the various Olympics commercials. Every single other company was just called by the company name, even GM was noted as a company that was trying to "remake itself", which also strikes me as a positive statement.

While the UA ads won "Gold" for their content, the paragraph about the UA ads described the airline as "struggling":

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/25/sp...er&oref=slogin

In case the link quits working, here's the text of the UA part:

UNITED AIRLINES Some of the best Olympic commercials were for the struggling United Airlines unit of UAL. Exceptional animation made them lovely to watch, and lush versions of “Rhapsody in Blue” made them a pleasure to listen to. A spot featuring an orchestra of sea creatures was superb. Gold.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:09 am

Well....

They are struggling.....
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every time one of the ads come on with the tag line, "Try our new international C and F" (or whatever), I thought to myself, "Maybe I would, if there were any of them flying to any international destination I was going to!"

I continue to be amazed how it's OK to advertise a feature found on fewer than 10% of United's international flights, none of them reliably bookable in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:22 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
United risks displeasing its customers by not having many of its planes reconfigured while simultaneously advertising new C & F cabins.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Who would actually choose to fly on C/F based off of a commercial? I think that most leisure travelers would travel in Y. Business travelers fly based off of their corporate contract. Savvy leisure/business travelers already know the scoop on aircraft, and don't get their info from an Olympics commercial.

I think the commercials are just to advertise UA in general, and show that they have SOME nice planes (they ARE nice!).

I don't think anyone is going to book an international C/F ticket based off of the commercial, then be surprised when they get an old config 777.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:58 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I think describing UA as "struggling" is much kinder that it really is.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:02 am

Programs: HERTZ,Marriott,NWPlat,AA Silver
They could have said "death rattle" but thats a little too hyperbolic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.