Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel (Stopover + Open Jaw)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:49 pm
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Award travel (Stopover + Open Jaw)

Is there any way to do an Award ticket with 1 Stopover + Open Jaw?

I would like a stopover in tokyo and open jaw in Vietnam.

See Iten below:

Availability on all segments:

LAX-NRT (Los Angeles to Tokyo)
3 Day (STOP OVER)
NRT-SGN (Tokyo-Ho Chi Minh)
10 Days (OPEN JAW)
HAN-SIN (Hanoi-Singapore)
<24hr Stopover (CONNECTION)
SIN-NRT-LAX (Singapore via Tokyo - LAX)

I have heard varied success with this on Delta, just wanted to see if this was possible on United.

Last edited by AMRivlin; Aug 23, 2008 at 5:59 pm
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Is there any way to do an Award ticket with 1 Stopover + Open Jaw?
Not on a single award. You get one or the other - never both.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
I just made an open jaw on United ORD-SYD then return MEL-ORD. I had to do it over the phone. We are driving between SYD and MEL. Our itinerary is a lot simpler than yours but I would call to see what they can do for you. I could not figure out how to do this on-line or using the robot although the rep said it was possible.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Your best bet would seem to be booking an open jaw - LAX-NRT; SGN-LAX (thru SIN) and then purchasing a one-way ticket from NRT-SGN. As mahasamatman said, you can't use both an open jaw and a stopover on an award ticket.

Update - just saw very high prices for NRT-SGN (>$1400) - so this is probably not a great plan.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

1k desk just said it is not possible with any UA award travel, unless one books 2 itens.

Ill just have to roundtrip SGN-HAN-SGN, waste of 200 and time, but what can you do.

The singapore part is just a bonus and connections are allowed.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RonDace
Our itinerary is a lot simpler than yours but I would call to see what they can do for you.
Open jaws are fine. But that's not what the OP is trying to do.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Follow up question: Can the stopover be the open jaw?
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Follow up question: Can the stopover be the open jaw?
One or the other. The fact that you have a stopover destination invalidates any open jaw options. The ONLY leeway here is if you have a co-terminal situation, but that does not apply.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: hardly any
An Asia LCC to the rescue...

What you CAN do, AMRivlin, is book LAX-NRT (for your stopover), then onwards NRT-SGN or HAN (only one or the other for your destination), then back home from whichever Vietnam city you selected - NRT-LAX. This would require that you purchase a round trip from the one city in Vietnam to the other and back again: Pacific Star Airlines is the LCC that I used this past spring.

As the others have mentioned here, you may have either a stopover or an openjaw, not both.

Enjoy your travels! Let us know what routing you finally settle on.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
not to drift too OT but...

would SIN-HKG then a few days later HKG -BKK be a valid intra asia open jaw award with UA since SIN-BKK would be shorter than the other 2 segments?

One agent said no the other said yes so I'm unsure
Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:33 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
SIN-HKG, HKG-BKK should be a valid open jaw. You'll pay 20K economy for this.

I've done SIN-BKK, BKK-MNL, MNL-SIN before as well, so the poster who said one is "never" allowed a stopover and an open jaw in the same itinerary was speaking only of what "should" be allowed as opposed to what sometimes gets ticketed

For the OP, you could also consider LAX-NRT (stop), NRT-HKG. Then purchase HKG-SGN and HAN-HKG flights to resume your travel back to the US. Or even NRT-HKG-SGN and a cheap Vietnam domestic fare before returning SGN-HKG-USA.
Admittedly, this sticks you on more UA metal than you may like, but it would also give you a nearly 24 hour stopover in HKG on the way out if you wanted it (and another one if you connected to the SQ flight to SFO on the way back).
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
For the OP, you could also consider LAX-NRT (stop), NRT-HKG. Then purchase HKG-SGN and HAN-HKG flights to resume your travel back to the US.
Very Tempting, however I already booked. I have 30 min left until the 24 hr booking window expires.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Kind of related- Does a stopover in Tokyo count as an open-jaw if I arrive by Haneda and leave by Narita? For example, I want to go Shanghai to Nashville. Is SHA->HND/NRT->ORD->BNA doable or do I have to do PVG->NRT->ORD->BNA?
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

This depends if they consider it a cold station. You might call UA and ask if HND / NRT are cold stations, if they are then it is not an open jaw.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I think you should have no trouble calling this a stopover. These would be co-terminals for most airlines that fly into both (which obviously does not include UA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.