Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade "Denied"

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Wonder if the oversold issue is due to them changing equipment to the new 744 config after selling tickets based on it being the old. This bird is allegedly flying that route.

If so, (and given the frequency with which the new config gets swapped out again - right up to the gate) you may end up getting a nice surprise as your UG has a better chance of clearing on the old config.

Good luck. Let us know what transpires

When are you flying?

Lurker
Old May 17, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA-1K
I am flying on June 10, and was really surprised that it is so full on a tuesday. I will try to call back and see if someone can open the waitlist up for me.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I had that numerous times on the SIN-NRT flight.

As other posters suggested nothing moves until DM kicks in. And then it is a mere shuffle with status and fare bucket. I was able to score an ug on a full fare which I bought 10 hours before departure. united.com gave me the ug denied speech, 1K line then 'appended' me to the WL.

Upon checking in, the SIN folks told me that there was no chance to get that seat as 15+ people were on the WL but at the gate I was handed the new BP.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by ryan182
This happens if the # of people on WL exceeds the number of seats, and the WL is FIFO until day of departure where it goes to DM so you wouldn't jump to the top. You'll probably have to wait until check-in (do OLCI 24 hour before)

Given the fact that SFO is 1K/GS central and a Q fare isn't exactly super high and C is oversold I'd say give it the old college try but expect to be in E+.

ETA: also the "good" news is they most probably won't clear anyone off the WL so being on the WL right now vs DM @ 24 hours is probably the same
Wouldn't OP, as a 1K using SWU, be put on PA waitlist and jump all the upgraders on PB waitlist?
I think it's not as simple as FIFO.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by kkjay77
Wouldn't OP, as a 1K using SWU, be put on PA waitlist and jump all the upgraders on PB waitlist?
It's not as simple as PB/PB ... the waitlists are closed and the OP cannot be added to them at this stage.

The OP's request has to be manually appended to the PA.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by weero
It's not as simple as PB/PB ... the waitlists are closed and the OP cannot be added to them at this stage.

The OP's request has to be manually appended to the PA.
I see what you mean.
But I still don't understand why reservation agent wouldn't add OP to PA waitlist (unless number on PA waitlist is greater than C cabin which, I think, is highly unlikely.)
Old May 18, 2008, 12:57 pm

I see what you mean.
But I still don't understand why reservation agent wouldn't add OP to PA waitlist (unless number on PA waitlist is greater than C cabin which, I think, is highly unlikely.)
Oh the PA easily grows MUCH bigger than the not-confirmed portion of the C cabin!

In SYD I once was told that I was #7 on an uncleared PA/PB waitlist of 54 which were merged into the DM list. Needless to say that this ug did not clear.

But you are still right. The 1K desk can force the adding to the PA ... the bottom of this long PA .
Old May 18, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
Being on the PA list right now is a moot point. That list is FIFO, so even if the OP gets added he'll be at the bottom of a list that is longer then there are total seats in the C cabin, which is why the list is closed. If the OP gets on the PA list it will not matter. Once this shifts to DM then being on the PB list will favor the OP with his status, although IIRC they will look at fare class, which will not help the OP in Q, then EQMs from last year in the case of a status tie. I would be interested to hear if this is the new ac config causing the over crowded wl or if it's just peak EU travel.

FB
Old May 18, 2008, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by flying_bubba
Being on the PA list right now is a moot point. That list is FIFO, so even if the OP gets added he'll be at the bottom of a list that is longer then there are total seats in the C cabin, which is why the list is closed. If the OP gets on the PA list it will not matter. Once this shifts to DM then being on the PB list will favor the OP with his status, although IIRC they will look at fare class, which will not help the OP in Q, then EQMs from last year in the case of a status tie. I would be interested to hear if this is the new ac config causing the over crowded wl or if it's just peak EU travel.

FB
No, at the gate, the list will be sorted as status, fare paid and the time added to dm.
Old May 18, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
No, at the gate, the list will be sorted as status, fare paid and the time added to dm.
OK so what happens to two 1Ks, both on the PA list rolling over to the PB list, and both with same fare class? Don't they then resort to last years EQMs?

FB
Old May 18, 2008, 2:05 pm

OK so what happens to two 1Ks, both on the PA list rolling over to the PB list, and both with same fare class? Don't they then resort to last years EQMs?

FB
PA/PB clears ahead of departure management.
If inventory management does not release upgrade inventory by the time GA takes control around 4 hours before departure, then both PA/PB goes to DM.
DM is sorted as status, fare paid, then time added to DM which is when you check-in.
So, lets say there are two 1Ks (one regular 1K and other 1K MM).
If both are paying the same fare class, then whoever check-in first would get the seat first.
Old May 18, 2008, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
This is why I always look at the load factors before booking. Even if NC isn't available, checking to make sure it is still C9 will insure you will at least make the list.
Old May 18, 2008, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
OK so what happens to two 1Ks, both on the PA list rolling over to the PB list
The PA list never rolls over to the PB list, so this question makes no sense.

Don't they then resort to last years EQMs?
I've never heard that. The final tiebreaker is supposed to be time added to the DM list.
Old May 18, 2008, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyinbob
This is why I always look at the load factors before booking. Even if NC isn't available, checking to make sure it is still C9 will insure you will at least make the list.
I just had the same experience for flight UA 901 that can't be put on to the upgrade waitlist. When it was ticketed, there seems plenty of C seats according to seatcounter but UA 1K desk said the flight is oversold and there are already 30 people on the wait list so the wait list is closed.
Old May 18, 2008, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
..I've never heard that. The final tiebreaker is supposed to be time added to the DM list.
Yes that is common notion on this board.

But personally heard the 'year to date' and 'absolute number of miles' or 'miles flown last year' upon several occasions. Mostly abroad but also in IAD where I had nothing but great GA experiences (I do realise that there is nothing good about IAD, except that their gate agents really are top tier IMO).

The most controversial experience I had - which somewhat questions the 'added to DM list' theory was flying Germany-FRA-IAD-US with the first segment on LH and hence checked through by LH. Was traveling with 1K (lite) companion on single PNR. IAD-US segment was on WL. At the gate in IAD, the GA takes our yellow-grey BPs and swaps them for the golden ones. He then apologised to me that he could only upgrade my companion as there was just a single F seat left and he was a 1K. When I spotted my LH SEN number on my BP, I handed over my 1K card and the GA changed the field - he then turned to my colleague "I am sorry, he beats you - he's go ways more miles - he gets the ug". Of course I left the ug with my pal but the incident makes me wonder what triggered this re-shuffle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.