Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

what % of UA Forum members pay their own airfares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P

it seems easy for all of us to criticize and complain about the dwindling quality of service, food, amenities, and equipment on UA. i wonder how many of us actually foot the travel bill out of our own pocket? it seems like the majority of us are employed by a larger company and thus are accumulating mileage courtesy of our employer. we can grumble and complain, and UA may listen to us because we have a 'machine' behind us that may be a raging Global Service participant. now, if we had to foot the bill out of our own pocket without re-imbursement, would we continue to choose UA everytime we fly or would we be more carrier selective?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Silver/Hyatt Platinum
100% out of pocket.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
It has been about 15 months since I bought a ticket with my own money, but when I did it was on UA and I paid more than I could have elsewhere to make use of my 1k benefits.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Self-employed. 2-3 trips for clients they reimburse me. The rest is on my dime. On my way to 2MM w/ UA (would have been long ago, but in the past I used to fly whoever was convenient). Up until now I've picked UA over other carriers because of the bennies, but w/ all the nickel & diming & elimination of things like 500-mile min & now the BOB even in C & in Y TATL, I'm seriously rethinking that for the future.

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I foot 100% of my travel and am carrier selective and I have selected United and the *A. Even when others were footing the bill my preference was United. Been on all the others and have had good and not so good experiences on all.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
All my travel, all the time, is self paid.

Next?
Dave
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
all my travel except mabye one a year is all leasure travel I pay for
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by americanled
it seems like the majority of us are employed by a larger company and thus are accumulating mileage courtesy of our employer.
Employed by a larger company? Yes.

Accumulating mileage courtesy of my employer? No. My job pretty much doesn't require travel (last year's two trips to India in Y being an exception). It looks like I'll requalify for 1K (2nd year then), solely on my own dime.
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
100% my time and my dime.

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
About 60% of my travel is paid for by my company (business travel).

No matter if personal/business I expect the service I think I'm paying for. I can't imagine going to a nice restaurant and being served food rummaged from a dumpster and then being told "well your company is paying for the meal so be happy for that gruel..."

In fact, i think United would take business travelers more seriously than the person that flys to Florida for vacation once every 2-3 years.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
60K-75K BIS a year. 50% work-sponsored, 50% self-sponsored.

Originally Posted by Dole
In fact, i think United would take business travelers more seriously than the person that flys to Florida for vacation once every 2-3 years.
Agreed.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dole
About 60% of my travel is paid for by my company (business travel).
For paid fares, I'm about 70% paid for company, 30% paid by myself.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I don't travel as part of my job. A good portion (75%?) of my leisure travel (1-2 trips per year) is funded by accumulating miles on loyalty cards or using 2-for-1 vouchers. The other I pay for out of pocket.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:09 pm
In Memoriam

My dime, my time!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Multi-year 1Ks...100% self paid.

It may be ending with UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.