Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What did UA Used to be Like?? (For Elites, or Generals)

What did UA Used to be Like?? (For Elites, or Generals)

Old Jan 11, 09, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I recall my first international flight for business purposes, which meant it was my first non-economy ticket (in C), back in 1987, from SFO to Seoul. I didn't even know about getting specific seat assignments in advance, which meant that when I got to the airport I was given an aisle seat whereas I would have wanted a window. At the gate, I asked the agent for a window and boom, he give me 1A in First! I couldn't have been an op-up, since I had virtually no status. A very nice way to begin the many years of subsequent international flying. On the plane, as others have reported, roasts were carved at the seat and we could get seconds.

But that aside...I agree with the many other observations of how things were better back then, but want to add mine to the few posts that mention how things have instead become better since the good old days:

1. Star Alliance: Yeah, there are all sorts of disappointments regarding redemptions, Starnet blocking, etc. But as someone who's redeemed miles to fly on C or F in LH, NH, TG, even SQ and other partners in recent years--albeit with lots of advance planning and occasional hassles--this is a big improvement. And of course, some of us can accrue a lot of miles on those carriers as well.
2. Seats: Even before the very slow improvements currently going on in international F and C, UA introduced F suites, better C seats and of course E+.
3. IFE has gotten better over the years, at least in C and F.
4. The UA MP credit card. Not sure when it was introduced, but at some point back in the good old days it didn't exist. I actually only use it now for online UA tix purchases to accrue some EQMs, but it helps out some UA FFers.
5. As lousy as .bomb is--and I wish I'd used United Connection, but I missed that bus--it does provide opportunities to check out fares, book tix, check some upgrade and award availability, book and change seats, etc.
6. Electronic tix and upgrade certificates.
7. Now I'm moving beyond UA itself, but many airports, especially international ones, have gotten more user-friendly (except for security precautions) in terms of facilities, lounges, stores, eateries, etc.
8. In a similar non-UA vein, back in the good old days there was no FT! How did we survive (or gripe) without it!?
Old Jan 11, 09, 10:29 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
I

Prosit is German for the classic toast "to your health". Any others with these mugs?
It's Latin.
Old Jan 11, 09, 10:30 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Not so very long ago they had these satellite places known as City Ticket Offices, where some of the nicest, most professional reservations staff would make complicated bookings in person, taking the booking as a challenging problem to be solved for the satisfaction of the customer.

My God, I think I'm going to cry.
I remember and loved those too.
I often used one in the DTC and I believe there was one downtown as well, somewhere around the Brown Palace.
Old Jan 11, 09, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
My fondest memory were the two-fer international award tickets. TWO tickets to Australia in F were 180,000 miles (as I recall, one was 120,000).
Yep, two tickets to Australia in C from NA were 150,000 miles, and F was 180,000. For Europe it was 140,000/160,000 for two tickets in C/F from NA. India from NA was 180,000/250,000.

My 1997 book says quite prominently, "International First Class customers with same-day ticket, and traveling on an Alliance partner segment will have access to all lounges from point of origin to final destination." I haven't flown international first in awhile, but I believe this may no longer be the case.

^ to the comment about the city ticket offices. Those people were knowledgeable, professional, and great ambassadors for UA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: