Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What did UA Used to be Like?? (For Elites, or Generals)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What did UA Used to be Like?? (For Elites, or Generals)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by mlx52
Also remember flying once as an unaccompanied minor ORD-SFO-RNO-DEN-ORD, and being allowed to sit up in the cockpit of the 727 as we took off from SFO in route to RNO. This was by far one of the best flights. I was able to board well before the other passengers, the pilots invited me up, let me ask a boat load of questions and then asked if I would like to sit up front while they taxied and took off.
That's what I want for a bonus when I hit a million miles flown! I'd love to sit in the pilots area during a flight. I think that would be a blast.

United, are you listening? I'll hit that million mark in about two years.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:04 pm

F/C lounges in SFO-NRT---excellent, as usual
However, ANA & Thai F/C lounges in NRT & BKK are pretty hard to beat, IMO---
(visited them all, these past 2 weeks on my BKK trip)

F/C seating--- Since the gentleman in 1A and I were the only 2 passengers with a MP-FF# on our boarding passes (NRT-SFO), we has first choice of anything we desired, which amounted to a meal choice and about 63.5 minutes of hands on service, before the vanishing act. The rest of the cabin was filled with non-rev’s. Which is proof positive that no-one in their right mind would pay for F/C on UAL to Asia.

Trays, seats, and floor filthy beyond description which leaves open for debate whether I received a stomach bacterial infection on the flights over or rather up my wife’s Thai village.

Listening to the galley chatter between employees and crew for over 2 hours on both flights to and from NRT from SFO, about how screwed up UAL is might have also contributed to the gas that I had for 6 long days while bedridden in my hotel in BKK.

Transfer security screening in NRT--- UAL at one time had a person stationed at the entrance to this area to only allow GS and F/C passengers in the right line so they could make it to the lounge and showers prior to their connecting flight. Not on either of my connections. Waited behind about 75 others both ways, because of a cost cutting measure, I suppose.

Speaking of NRT--- Wanna have your carry on stuff rummaged through--- Be the first person allowed on the plane. The first person has been determined to be a very high security risk and will ALWAYS be searched- No matter what! So always hold back, which I messed up and forgot about on this trip!

So to answer the question posed by the OP, "What did United used to be like"?--- Fly from NRT to BKK (but due it soon) to find out what UAL should be like--- These fine professionals have been told that their days are numbered---

I highly recommend a pocket full of Cipro prior to boarding, especially on 747's that haven't seen a vacuum or a cleaning cloth in years--- It took 6 days but these pills worked for me!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:20 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Menus and Meals - Pre 9/11 there were menus and meals in first class on most all flights.
They even served meals in economy class on domestic flights.

They let everyone check two bags at no additional charge.

They had something called Shuttle flying between SFO and LAX with 737 aircraft. It was late most of the time, unlike their all-737 competitor flying out of OAK.

Once upon a time, smoking was allowed in airplanes. Good riddance.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:46 am

In 1997 I booked two business class seats for my parents to SYD and AKL. Took about 15 minutes to conduct the transaction and there was no problem whatsoever in getting the dates they wanted. I think it only took about 150K miles total, also. I also remember stopping by the city ticket office and booking an award for myself to Australia over Christmas. It was a very easy, no angst transaction. Basically it came down to, 'okay, when do you want to travel?'

I do remember the days when they served food on most domestic flights, but I also remember it being sort of crappy in Y. On DEN-DFW around 1995 they used to serve the greasiest cheeseburgers.

I also liked it when the purser would come to my row and introduce himself before the flight. They really treated elites well.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
UMP Enhancemenrts I know as normal

I have only been a part of the FF world for about three or four years now because really I did not know any better before. In those three years I have complained as much as anybody else about the enhancements United has levied down to us. However, my tabula raza was filled in with data in 2005 really, so that is my norm. I complain about the possibility of co-pays now because that is huge to me among other things.

For the more seasoned travelers on this board what were the enhancements which hit you previously that you were swearing about five years ago that were my "norm." I am assuming that pre 9-11 bankruptcy, this entire flying scenario must have been much different. If some of you traveling veterans could just list what your UMP status got you then and if possible the year of the enhancement that relegated it to history.

TYIA. I'd love to know, "what I should be missing"
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"

- John Greenleaf Whittier
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"

- John Greenleaf Whittier
You Mahasamatman, have no light to shed on the mysteries of elite flying pre 2005?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Paolo01
You Mahasamatman, have no light to shed on the mysteries of elite flying pre 2005?
I hit 1P for the first time in 2004 and don't recall any significant changes since then. My only significant air travel before 2003 was in the early 90s on BA and TWA.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Free confirmable same day changes for 1K/1P

Paper 500 miler certs that could be gifted to anyone.

And while not an elite perk, most of all United Connection software -- which could do things the web still cannot dream of doing.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jan 10, 2009 at 5:15 pm Reason: Removed link to the thread -- this one -- that Paolo01's thread got merged into
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
And while not an elite perk, most of all United Connection software -- which could do things the web still cannot dream of doing.
I still have fond memories of that but gave up hope of ever getting it merged into the Web site. Think anyone at UA even remembers it?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It was forgotten within months of its demise
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Employees, no matter how bad a day/trip/experience/etc..... they had, still cared. United's employees were consistent and always took care of the customer. Leo Burnett had done a 20 years of United Commercials Video for United. There was a commercial with a new-hire flight attendant named Nancy. She was so very excited to start flying and practiced things on an empty plane. The crew let her go, and when she was done, applauded her. The background music talked about u my friend and fly the friendly skies.

I can remember to my childhood in the 70s when unaccompanied minors were treated like royalty. United really cared about us and our future loyalty, even in the pre-Mileage Plus days.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kenhawk
Can't remember exactly what year those were issued, but UA mailed out the first version of the SWU to 1K's. They were confirmable, paper upgrades that could be used on any fare systemwide. If you were really lucky, you would check in with a busy gate agent would would forget to collect the cert!
It was about 1996 or so. Bu they weren't Sweet Spots (which another poster accurately described and came later).

I recall getting three of them a year. They were paper and were good for a one-segment upgrade internationally (well, domestically too, I suppose, if you wanted to use them for that). Prior to that there were no international upgrades other than miles so we thought the segment upgrades were great.

My fondest memory were the two-fer international award tickets. TWO tickets to Australia in F were 180,000 miles (as I recall, one was 120,000).
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Since the resurrection of this thread yesterday, I received several PMs regarding the link in post #43 of this thread did not work. I have fixed the problem and the link in Post #43 is working now.

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Very true!

I have not seen anything come close to United Connection in the last 8 years.

It is so sad!

One of the biggest blunder UA has ever made, IMHO.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 10, 2009 at 10:27 pm
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by JoeTravel
I can remember to my childhood in the 70s when unaccompanied minors were treated like royalty. United really cared about us and our future loyalty, even in the pre-Mileage Plus days.
Yep, during my first missed connection irrops experience as a UM in SFO, an FA on my flight walked me to customer service and had one of the agents there take care of everything. Hard to forget something like that when I had no idea what I was supposed to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.