Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-SBA non-stop fares

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

SFO-SBA non-stop fares

I've been watching the fare on the SFO-SBA route for a bit and see that it generally hovers around $400 +/- $25. Do people ever see it go much lower than that? I realize its cheaper to drive, but don't really have the time on this trip. Was also look at OXR thru LAX ($250).
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Farecast is your friend - is that the one that tracks historical airfares?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
The thing is in those markets they don't want people buying flights for the purpose of going to SBA (or SFO), they want people in SBA to fly to SFO then to <hopefully some international destination> so the point to point fares are kept high. Similar situations occur on SNA-SFO and before it was killed SNA-LAX (those were ~600).
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
I've been watching the fare on the SFO-SBA route for a bit and see that it generally hovers around $400 +/- $25. Do people ever see it go much lower than that? I realize its cheaper to drive, but don't really have the time on this trip. Was also look at OXR thru LAX ($250).
I don't know when you want to fly to SBA, but E-Fare is usually $177, I think.
Otherwise, $400 sounds right. It could be more
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Look at December - it's $877 (or higher for some dates).

$400 is a good fare for ths route. It very rarely gets lower than that.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, reformed UA 1K
I've often had to pay considerably more (albeit for last minute fares) -- $600-$800 RT isn't uncommon
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Quick fyi, just since I opened this thread, some $198 fares have opened on this route for Labor Day...I'm booked!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:30 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ryan182
The thing is in those markets they don't want people buying flights for the purpose of going to SBA (or SFO), they want people in SBA to fly to SFO then to <hopefully some international destination> so the point to point fares are kept high. Similar situations occur on SNA-SFO and before it was killed SNA-LAX (those were ~600).
I wouldn't say it's that UA "doesn't want" people flying only SBA-SFO. Rather, because UA is the only game in town for nonstop O/D traffic, it's charging what the market will bear. (i.e. UA is behaving as a profit-maximizing firm, what it should be doing all along)

Nothing much to see here, folks.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
I wouldn't say it's that UA "doesn't want" people flying only SBA-SFO. Rather, because UA is the only game in town for nonstop O/D traffic, it's charging what the market will bear. (i.e. UA is behaving as a profit-maximizing firm, what it should be doing all along)

Well-said.

SBA-SFO is probably mostly for connecting traffic, much like ORD-MKE, ORD-SBN, IAD-RIC, etc.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord

Roger that. No competition = high prices. No surprise here....
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The nice thing is that there's always plenty of award space available. And 9BC on the EMB-120 is like getting F for 25K...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies

SBA-SFO is probably mostly for connecting traffic, much like ORD-MKE, ORD-SBN, IAD-RIC, etc.

Lets not forget how far that is. People often assume the two cities are close like the ones mentioned above. SBA-SFO is a solid 5 hour drive at 262 miles. Not to be confused with SBA-LAX which is 89 miles, and about 1.25 hours - but it probably fetches a similar fare as the one the OP mentions.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, United Club, AA EP, BR, CI, CX, WN, SPG, HH, Marriott Gold, LeClub Accor PLAT
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
About three weeks ago, I made the drive from SFO-SBA. The full-sized Chevy Impala rental car reserved thru National cost $128.52. The fuel cost $61.12. The five hour drive cost just under $200, however I would have chosen to fly if it weren't for the fact that I was sharing the cost with two other passengers.

Originally Posted by JC5280
Lets not forget how far that is. People often assume the two cities are close like the ones mentioned above. SBA-SFO is a solid 5 hour drive at 262 miles. Not to be confused with SBA-LAX which is 89 miles, and about 1.25 hours - but it probably fetches a similar fare as the one the OP mentions.
I would love to be able to get from SBA-LAX in 1:15, I've never done it in less than 1:30. The 101/405 junction is highly unpredictable and has always been a mess. Earlier this year, it took me over three hours, check out Google Maps. In addition to the drive time, they also have an "up to X-hours in traffic" estimate.

Safe travels
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JC5280
True, fair enough.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The odd thing about it is that the intra-California UAX fares are sky high but other west coast UAX/Skywest fares (even those routes with little competition) don't see the same price inflation...for example, SEA-GEG, FAT-LAS (not sure why this route exists but hey, it's usually around $100one-way so it's a "bargin"), PDX-EUG, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.