LH strike and impacts to UA award travel?

Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
LH strike and impacts to UA award travel?

I'm reading about the upcoming LH strike (see http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...a-strike_N.htm), and getting concerned... I have an award trip scheduled in two weeks using UA miles (in C), SFO-PDX on UA then PDX-FRA-TLV on LH. If for some reason my LH flights get canceled, any idea what would happen? Should I turn to UA or to LH for help in that case (I'm assuming UA)? Assuming it would be up to UA, would I be screwed if there's no other award seats available (since there's no UA metal to TLV)?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:12 pm
Suspended

How to handle UA awards over LH strike period

Mrs. FU2 has a UA award reservation on LH (USA-Europe, beyond FRA) during 27/28JUL in Business Class.

What is UA's official practice in such cases?

Currently I am on hold with 'Jeff' in India who has not heard of any LH strikes and does not seem to have a clue as to how this can be handled.

anybody here with any ideas (also. what are my rights in such a case)?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
If you look at the LH forum's Strike Thread you will find several people from *A programs have asked the same question. There advice is to call the special number LH has set up to handle rebookings, which you will also find in the thread.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:31 am
Suspended

I just got off the phone with the UA call center in India. First, they do not recognize the strike until it actually happens. So any re-booking prior to your flight date will attract a $150/ticket re-routing fee.

Second, award flights must be available on other *A carriers on the dates you want for them to re-book it (even if the strike actually takes place).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 26, 2008 at 12:37 am Reason: removed masked profanity from post
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:23 am

UA award/ LH strike...

I am travelling on a UA award ticket but with Lufthansa metal and am travelling 1st august...naturally when the proposed strike may be on... advice needed just in case...I would prefer going prepared...if I am affected and the flight is cancelled.. do I approach lufthansa or united for assistance..and what rights if any do I have...ref re-routing or if it just delayed.. again what are my rights.. if it is overnight.. do I find/ pay my own way...what a nightmare.. my long awaited holiday...dont suppose theres anything I could do now for re-routing...there are 4 of us travelling..thanks for any info... Gwen I start my journey at Manchester UK..thru frankfurt to orlando...guessing the strike may affect in and out of fra....do you think it is worth asking on the day for a reroute.. manchester to mco and avoid fra???if either LH or UA might do it??? aaarghh....
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
If a strike happens, call United.

Hopefully they will be able to reroute you to something like this: MAN-LHR/FRA (on BMI)-IAD/ORD (on UA)-MCO (on TED).

Not ideal, but better than missing your trip.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
No awards possible on LH due to strike?

I called MP today to book an award ticket on LH, but they said that LH has pulled all their flights from award booking due to the strike. Has anyone else heard about this? Isn't the strike over now?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The strike is over, the effect on Lufthansa flights is not. They still have cancelled flights showing up until August 9th so until they get everything smooth in the system they will probably hold off for the time being on award travel space.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
According to ANA, LH continues to release award availability to star alliance members. Some of whom have chosen not to make it available for redemption.

Last edited by work2fly; Aug 5, 2008 at 10:19 am
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly2work
The strike is over, the effect on Lufthansa flights is not. They still have cancelled flights showing up until August 9th so until they get everything smooth in the system they will probably hold off for the time being on award travel space.
I was looking in December! There is nothing available to go anywhere in any class.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
According to ANA, LH continues to release award availability to star alliance members. Some of whom have chosen not to make it available for redemption.
Which Star members can book LH awards now?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
ANA

as an example, F availability SFO-MUC Aug 30 with a return on Sep 3rd
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
I was looking in December! There is nothing available to go anywhere in any class.

I answered your question in the LH strike thread:

This is not correct, I just checked the Lufthansa site and was able to find plenty of award availability in C even next week and two months out for JFK-FRA/MUC/ZRH routings.
It's more likely that it's a starnet issue rather than a LH issue.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
all but 1.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:59 am

While I've always been able to find the awards that I need, this LH filtering (on top of the TG, NZ and now OZ transpac filtering) is making things so much more difficult.

I'm to the point where I just want to burn the remaining miles I have and not spend another dime on UA travel.

I just need to figure out what to do with my 11 SWUs...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.