Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Economy International Meal Survey [Merged Threads]

Old Aug 1, 08, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note

UA asked me to take a international economy class meal survey. A hilarious question was what I thought of paying $24 for the current economy class meal. Can they seriously think they'll glean any information from the gales of laughter that result?

Last edited by Boghopper; Aug 1, 08 at 9:14 pm
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it April Fools already? $24?!?!?!?! That has to be a joke....

Good one UA!^
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:24 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
They offered me a restaurant style meal for $29 - I guess they figured out they can screw me and charge extra $5

That was some scary survey - looks like it will be TED style on long haul... I guess the whole point about getting rid of TED is actually for all United flights to become like TED.
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just did this one as well - it's pretty clear they are seriously considering charging for food and drink in E/E+ on International (it was specifically asking about both US->Europe and US->Australia/Pacific).

United is considering making some changes to our current meal offerings to those customers who are sitting in Economy or Economy Plus on International flights.

Today, United provides coffee, tea, sodas and bottled water by the glass for free on International Economy flights. United is considering changing this policy so that now:
You get coffee, tea, sodas for free and you have to pay a small charge for sodas and bottled water (served in individual bottles)

(Soda is mentioned twice - it's not clear if that's an error, or are they are referring to the Ted-style "no can" option).

The basis was around $10 for a "Premium" Salad/Sandwich, $24 for the current meal, $29 for a "Restaurant quality" meal made from "Fresh Ingredients".
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:25 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I did say yes to the $12 premium sandwich.. it just looked so good!

[flame suit on]
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
$24 for the current meal, $29 for a "Restaurant quality" meal made from "Fresh Ingredients".
LMFAO, so what are they trying to say about the ingredients in the current meal?
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:28 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Just did the survey as well. Get ready for more a-la-cart pricing.
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:28 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Dear Mr. 1k-all-the-way,

We are currently conducting a survey regarding our
International Economy Class Meal Service.

To visit our survey please click the link below:
http://mymileageplus.com/mmps/102177...86bf1d02bf535a

Please note that the survey will only be available online
for a limited time. We apologize in advance if you are
unable to participate.

What about the $19 salad? or was it only $16? !!!!!!!!!!!

I think the soda choice was a free glass or a charge for the can. Maybe they are moving to large bottles - which doesn't bother me i f you can get refills.
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
For my survey it was:

12.00 premium sandwich

19.00 premium salad

16.00 current meal

39.00 restaurant quality meal
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:38 pm

Here is the link to the survey:

http://mymileageplus.com/mmps/102177...3f0f6602bf5342

And here are some details (sorry for the long post)

12. Snack Item
For example:

Either one of the following (individual items):
2oz pack of chips
3oz pack of trailmix
One cereal bar
One apple

On a scale from 5 to 1, where 5 is very interested and 1 is very uninterested, how interested are you in buying a snack item if you were sitting in Economy or Economy Plus on an International flight?

13. If United were to offer the snack item for $3.00, how likely would you be to buy this item?

14. If United offered the snack item at $3.00, which of the following would best describe your thoughts about the price?

15. Snack Box
For example:

One box containing all of the following (or similar):
1oz salami slices
.75oz organic crackers
.75oz cheese spread
.74oz multigrain crisps
.5oz topical mix dried fruit
1oz cookie

16. On a scale from 5 to 1, where 5 is very interested and 1 is very uninterested, how interested are you in buying a snack box if you were sitting in Economy or Economy Plus on an International flight?

17. If United offered the snack box at $10.00, which of the following would best describe your thoughts about the price?

18. Current Economy Meal
For example:

Meal consisting of: - 7oz of curry chicken with rice and chickpeas (previously frozen, served warm)

19. If United were to offer the current economy meal for $16.00, how likely would you be to buy this item?

20. If United offered the current economy meal at $16.00, which of the following would best describe your thoughts about the price?

21. Gourmet Salad
For example:

Roasted and seasoned chicken breast
Lettuce, asparagus, olives and sun-dried tomatoes
Rotini noodles
Vinaigrette
On a scale from 5 to 1, where 5 is very interested and 1 is very uninterested, how interested are you in buying a gourmet salad if you were sitting in Economy or Economy Plus on an International flight?
22. If United were to offer the gourmet salad for $19.00, how likely would you be to buy this item?

23. If United offered the gourmet salad at $19.00, which of the following would best describe your thoughts about the price?

24. Premium Sandwich
For example:

Freshly made sandwich with:
Freshly baked European style roll
Roasted chicken breast
Leaf of lettuce and rucola
Slices of ripe tomatoes
Freshly made pesto with parsley and bell pepper salsa
On a scale from 5 to 1, where 5 is very interested and 1 is very uninterested, how interested are you in buying a premium sandwich if you were sitting in Economy or Economy Plus on an International flight?

25. If United were to offer the premium sandwich for $9.00, how likely would you be to buy this item?

26. If United offered the premium sandwich at $9.00, which of the following would best describe your thoughts about the price?

27. Restaurant Style Meal
Restaurant size and quality meal, prepared daily from fresh ingredients; no pre-made or frozen components.

For example:

Appetizer: Roasted mushroom duck tart and seared sea scallops with organic kalamata olive-caper vinaigrette and fig chutney

Main dish: Apricot curry braised lamb medallion with Israeli couscous and spicy roasted eggplant

Salad: Compressed Belgian endive (Medjool Dates, Nantes Carrots, Young Cilantro and Madras Curry Yogurt)

Dessert: Cantabloupe sorbet (Muscat de Beaumes de Venise en Gele and Compressed Melon)

On a scale from 5 to 1, where 5 is very interested and 1 is very uninterested, how interested are you in buying a restaurant style meal if you were sitting in Economy or Economy Plus on an International flight?

28. If United were to offer the restaurant style meal for $34.00, how likely would you be to buy this item?

29. If United offered the restaurant style meal at $34.00, which of the following would best describe your thoughts about the price?
30. If all of the items you just saw were offered to you as part of a menu of choices for your most recent International Economy trip with United, which would you have chosen? Please check all that apply.

Snack Item $3.00

Gourmet Salad $19.00

Restaurant Style Meal $34.00

Premium Sandwich $9.00

Snack Box $10.00

Current Economy Meal $16.00

None of the above

32. If United began selling these food choices on board the aircraft, would you be interested in purchasing them in advance (when booking the ticket)?

33. Based on your last International Economy flight on United, if these meal choices had been offered for sale on your latest International Economy Class trip, would you recommend United to friends and acquaintances?

35. Today, United provides coffee, tea, sodas and bottled water by the glass for free on International Economy flights. United is considering changing this policy so that now:

You get coffee, tea, sodas and filtered water for free and you have to pay a small charge for bottled water (served in individual bottles)

If United were to implement this policy, would you recommend United to friends and acquaintances?

36. How often would you have purchased any of the following items on board, had these items been offered on all flights you have taken during the past 6 months?
Newspapers
Sleeping pills
Magazines
Earplugs
Eyemasks
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
My menu:

Premium Sandwich $12.00
Gourmet Salad $24.00
Snack Box $7.00
Current Economy Meal $24.00
Restaurant Style Meal $34.00
Snack Item $2.00
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Thumbs down Totally absurd questions

The answer options are poorly phrased. No where other than the general comment sections can one indicate that the choices themselves are poor. I, for one, will not be purchasing ANY meals on board ANY United flight overseas, and will swtich to a *Alliance carrier once in Europe if for no other reason that their paid meals are always so good and a bargain.
In response to the question of "what else could they sell us", I was so tempted to add microwave rental so we could reheat what food we brought with us.
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
United trying to turn E catering into a profit center

I was recently asked to fill out a survey about E catering. Guess what? UA is toying with the idea of turning E catering into a profit center. The offerings and prices I was presented with were rather shocking, but I'll let you have a look for yourselves:

the crappy snack boxes (to keep people obese and flatulent on long flights, no doubt):
http://www.insightexpress.com/ix/Sho...Rules.aspx?827
http://www.insightexpress.com/ix/Sho...Rules.aspx?828

Here's where it gets interesting. They want to know if we would be willing to buy their crap standard catering for 12 bucks, and even had this ridiculous photo of the offering:

http://www.insightexpress.com/ix/Sho...Rules.aspx?829 (12 bucks for that????!!!!)

A "gourmet" salad:
http://www.insightexpress.com/ix/Sho...Rules.aspx?830

A "premium" sandwich for $12
http://www.insightexpress.com/ix/Sho...Rules.aspx?831

And a "restaurant quality" (I don't know where UAL catering folks eat, but we clearly do not frequent the same places) meal available for <gasp> $29.00
http://www.insightexpress.com/ix/Sho...Rules.aspx?832

They survey went on to ask about my willingness to buy bottled water.

How low can they possibly sink? A 14 hour flight to hong kong or sydney and I have to buy my own food? Okay, I usually travel in business, but it's not like they are doing anything to capture anyone's business.

Just thought I'd share
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:59 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I understand the need to recover costs, but $3.00 for an APPLE??? Are they freaking kidding?!?!
Old Aug 1, 08, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
For my survey it was:

12.00 premium sandwich

19.00 premium salad

16.00 current meal

39.00 restaurant quality meal
Mine was $9 sandwich, $9 salad, $29 meal, $24 current meal. They must be mixing up prices to gauge the elasticity of demand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.