Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Special Meal in Profile - Do I need to call?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meal in Profile - Do I need to call?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cepheid
Depends on the meal, but generally, you should. The low-fat meal on redeyes is a chicken breast on rice, or so I'm told. Of course, it also depends on your preferences. I ordered this for my wife once on one of her upgraded redeyes, thinking I was doing her a favor by getting her a "real" meal instead of just the deli plate. She told me later she preferred the deli plate, because she found the chicken/rice quite bland, plus she likes fruit and cheese...

That said, it's hit-or-miss whether they actually load your special meal on the redeyes, anyway.
thx, just called and requested the low fat meal. now i cross my fingers... i really hope i get it, cuz if i don't, i don't think i'll write to ua to complain - too many problems this year already, and don't want them to think i'm a serial complainer...
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
The last two times I called (the last time being 4/24) I was told that you cannot order a special meal for a snack flight. I asked when this change occurred and both times was told it was "a while ago." Has anyone else had this happen recently?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Pat89339
The last two times I called (the last time being 4/24) I was told that you cannot order a special meal for a snack flight. I asked when this change occurred and both times was told it was "a while ago." Has anyone else had this happen recently?
I ordered one for my PS Red Eye.

I would hang up and call back.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Sadly, this is a case of a mis-informed agent (and I have had that happen to me for this very same request).

I have had specials (HNML and LFML) on LAX-IAD and LAX-MCO flights that I have flown this past weekend and the weekend before it.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Sadly, this is a case of a mis-informed agent (and I have had that happen to me for this very same request).

I have had specials (HNML and LFML) on LAX-IAD and LAX-MCO flights that I have flown this past weekend and the weekend before it.
Care to share how was your LFML? I saw a couple pics of your HNML. Thinking about order special meals for my 4 up coming legs.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: United 1K Million Mile flyer, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member, Marriott
On the Transcon redeyes I have been on my Kosher meal has been an actual meal prompting the other passengers to get upset about why they only got fruit plated. LAX-IAD I got BBQ chicken breast and the whole plane smelled like BBQ sauce. I have almost never seen other First Class passengers so upset. I am flying on the redeye SFO-BOS tomorrow and I have ordered a Kosher meal so I hope I can give another update soon.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by David5885
On the Transcon redeyes I have been on my Kosher meal has been an actual meal prompting the other passengers to get upset about why they only got fruit plated. LAX-IAD I got BBQ chicken breast and the whole plane smelled like BBQ sauce. I have almost never seen other First Class passengers so upset. I am flying on the redeye SFO-BOS tomorrow and I have ordered a Kosher meal so I hope I can give another update soon.
I used to always order to Kosher meals, then gave up being Kosher and figured it would be sacrilegious to continue ordering them. But if they are much better than the standard meals, I may just go back to being Kosher, but only in the air.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by SESTAR
Care to share how was your LFML? I saw a couple pics of your HNML. Thinking about order special meals for my 4 up coming legs.
I've posted updates here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post11657638
Old May 1, 2009, 12:56 am
Suspended

so it didn't work. reservations confirmed that they put me down for a low fat meal. but when i was on the plane, i asked if there was a meal and he just said no. i was starving and bummed. i said are there any snacks or anything? and he said i could have a snack box from the back. so my CR-1 got me a snack box basically. and honestly, i had an exit row before the upgrade, and the exit row has more legroom than first. so not sure the real value here. but anyway, i sound like i'm complaining, so i'll stop.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by flyboiboeing
i said are there any snacks or anything? and he said i could have a snack box from the back.
They didn't even load any fruit/deli plates? Was this a transcon or something shorter? I realize that you never specified the actual route, but it's strange that they wouldn't even load the fruit/deli plates.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Does this mean that you can request meals on snack flights? It always annoys me that 8pm flights only have fruit & cheese...
Old May 1, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
i asked if there was a meal and he just said no. i was starving and bummed. i said are there any snacks or anything? and he said i could have a snack box from the back.
Hmm....this had to have been at least a mid-con redeye, and I've always received the deli-plate or special meal in F, even as recently as a few weeks ago. The last couple deli-plates have been quite good. Normally, if you request a special meal (and confirm with reservations that it's in your record for the flight(s)) and it isn't boarded, they'll still show it on their manifest and you can request a skykit for compensation.

IME, when the flight operates outside of meal hours and/or is too short wheels-up for full meal service, I have never received a special meal in F on mainline. These days, all I count on is maybe some snack mix and unlimited beverages.
Old May 1, 2009, 4:05 am

Programs: AS 100K
i'm flying LHR-LAX in a few weeks, what meal do you guys recommend? kosher? indian veg?

i have no dietary restrictions, i just want to try something different (besides the fruit plate). ohh yeah, i don't like seafood/fish.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If one orders the LFML, are they still given hot nuts?
Old May 1, 2009, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
If one orders the LFML, are they still given hot nuts?
Yep (based on my flights of last weekend).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.