Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA gets tough with manual selling for award seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA gets tough with manual selling for award seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryan182
thread.delete()
Forgot to import required libraries...
Old Jan 20, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Axey
The more this is talked about the sooner the memos will start flowing.
The memos are already flowing.

Yes, it can be done. No status has nothing to do with it. Agents aren't supposed to do it any longer.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
What do you mean?

Gleff

What have you heard about Memos flowing?

Can you give a little more detail?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:53 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Most-obtuse post winner?

I must confess to having no idea whatsoever what this thread is about. Maybe it fits into that category of "If you don't know, it doesn't apply to you" but I'm just too curious for my own good.

Normally a thread wouldn't go this far without someone letting the unenlightened know what it's about. Maybe they're waiting for someone to ask.

So I'm asking. What's this thread about?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:06 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
What's this thread about?
I believe it's about getting a UA agent to sell *A award flights when Starnet isn't showing availability, even when there is availability. UA has historically restricted *A award availability beyond normal, thus prohibiting MP members from redeeming awards on *A carriers even when there is award space on those carriers.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cepheid
I believe it's about getting a UA agent to sell *A award flights when Starnet isn't showing availability
You believe correctly.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by cepheid
I believe it's about getting a UA agent to sell *A award flights when Starnet isn't showing availability, even when there is availability. UA has historically restricted *A award availability beyond normal, thus prohibiting MP members from redeeming awards on *A carriers even when there is award space on those carriers.
What are the mechanics involved? How do they sell the ticket when they say they can't even see the flight? And if they do give it to you, does the ticket work?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
The reservations desk key in flight numbers directly. Just because the flights don't show up for the agent when issuing a request to the computer system doesn't mean the award availability isn't there. And judging from responses throughout the UA board, yes the ticket is valid.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavalyn
The reservations desk key in flight numbers directly. Just because the flights don't show up for the agent when issuing a request to the computer system doesn't mean the award availability isn't there. And judging from responses throughout the UA board, yes the ticket is valid.
so you should ask the agent to key in the flight #?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernyx
so you should ask the agent to key in the flight #?
Yeah, if you can convince the phone agent to enter it for you, while risk losing his/her job.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
What are the mechanics involved? How do they sell the ticket when they say they can't even see the flight? And if they do give it to you, does the ticket work?
I have no idea. I have zero experience with int'l awards or with *A awards. I've never booked even a "regular" one, let alone trying to do something that UA claims can't be done. Apparently other posters claim experience, but I have no clue.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

After using the ANA site many times to try to get a C class award seat on TG from LAX-BKK and asking the agent if they could request space, I finally gave up since they said no every time. Wouldn't you know it, this morning when asking if a certain flight was available on TG, he voluntarily said no, but it says it can be requested (or something to that affect). He then does that and it comes back confirmed. He did the same thing on the return. He did say to check back though in 12 hours "to be sure it is really confirmed", but I do have the itinerary on hold.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Are you able to see the flights on hold at united.com?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

yes I can
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by gleff
Are you able to see the flights on hold at united.com?
If it's all TG award, .bomb won't show the itinerary.
Do you mean if checking by finding PNR through upgrade method on .bomb?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.