FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   UA filtering NH, OZ, SQ and TG??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/844741-ua-filtering-nh-oz-sq-tg.html)

rjque Sep 2, 2008 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Axey (Post 10297205)
All of OZ is blocked right now. Haven't been able to find a single route available the past week, no matter where, when or in what class. Ditto for SQ.

United really is making it difficult to burn my miles

All of OZ (including SFO-ICN) was blocked when I tried to burn some miles three months ago, as well. As far as I'm concerned, UA is no longer a member of the Star Alliance but rather a cheap US carrier with some mileage earning opportunities on Star Alliance carriers.

CommittedLurker Sep 2, 2008 10:25 am

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 10297823)
All of OZ (including SFO-ICN) was blocked when I tried to burn some miles three months ago, as well. As far as I'm concerned, UA is no longer a member of the Star Alliance but rather a cheap US carrier with some mileage earning opportunities on Star Alliance carriers.

You are absolutely correct. It wouldn't surprise me if UA forcibly exits *A next year. That is, if they are still around.

james1 Sep 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Anyone with any advice while dealing with UA on this issue? I've been trying to get an award ticket on SQ from TPE to LAX, and UA keeps telling me there is no inventory. But I keep finding it available through the ANA tool.

During my conversation with UA CSR, they mentioned that while SQ may release availability to other airlines, they may not for UA. Since I won't be making 1K next year, I want to use up my mileage and UA is making it very difficult.

Any recommendations? I gave them the specific routes, flight number, etc. And they are all having trouble...

holtju2 Sep 10, 2008 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by james1 (Post 10345933)
During my conversation with UA CSR, they mentioned that while SQ may release availability to other airlines, they may not for UA. Since I won't be making 1K next year, I want to use up my mileage and UA is making it very difficult.

Blah, blah, blah... Lying pigs. The inventory is there but UA doesn't want to book it because it would mean UA actually paying to SQ.

Any recommendations? I gave them the specific routes, flight number, etc. And they are all having trouble...

Manual sell. It is pretty much impossible, however, if you don't know the right people.

NYC1K Sep 10, 2008 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by anishub (Post 10047137)
Today I went to the airport CSR and got my 'Paper Tix' converted to e-Tix. After researching for the past 3 days, I found some uncommon routes via CAI (Egypt, by MS) to DPS by SQ via SIN. Plenty of availability all around-the-year.

The same problem from even the 1K desk. In one of those 15 to 20 calls, one agent even refuse to accept the fact EgyptAir is an *A member. I thought the 'call again and again and again...' was applicable only to ICC, but what a disappoinment. Even at the 1K desk you gotta use that rule!!!

After so many calls, I got an agent who was able to do the change of routing / itenarary the way I wanted, and all in C:D

I being new to this game, I felt it like a BIG achievement.

PS - The Good News - new partners bring a lot of fresh award inventory.

Egypr Air?? No sir, not me. That's the airline with the Suicide Pilots. I will take my chances with a derilict UA and pay for the flight than risk a chepo award travel and be with my maker a few minutes after take off.

nnn Sep 10, 2008 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by NYC1K (Post 10346478)
Egypr Air?? No sir, not me. That's the airline with the Suicide Pilots. I will take my chances with a derilict UA and pay for the flight than risk a chepo award travel and be with my maker a few minutes after take off.

I'd call that an offensive and ignorant characterization. At most, there has been one "suicide pilot" (singular), nine years ago. And, technically, even that has not been proven. :rolleyes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

snic Sep 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 10346569)
I'd call that an offensive and ignorant characterization. At most, there has been one "suicide pilot" (singular), nine years ago. And, technically, even that has not been proven. :rolleyes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

+1. Out of how many thousands of EgyptAir flights, how many have been crashed by "suicide pilots"? The answer is either 1 or (more likely) 0. There may be other reasons to avoid EgyptAir (C seats from circa 1972?), but fear of crashing is not one of them.

holtju2 Sep 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by snic (Post 10346690)
There may be other reasons to avoid EgyptAir (C seats from circa 1972?), but fear of crashing is not one of them.

Yeah. I won't fly DRY airlines. :D

Grace B Sep 11, 2008 4:05 am

Anyone with any advice while dealing with UA on this issue? I've been trying to get an award ticket on SQ from TPE to LAX, and UA keeps telling me there is no inventory. But I keep finding it available through the ANA tool.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't seem to have problems booking on SQ when the ANA tool says it is available. SQ are one of the better airlines in this regard, IMHO.

As an example, I checked the ANA tool yesterday and it indicated that flights SIN-LAX-SIN were available in business class on the dates I wanted next June. Called the MNL reservations ctr, made the booking (seats were available) and am now ticketed.

I just don't seem to have a problem with SQ.

whkchan Sep 11, 2008 6:08 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 10038774)
The dumb thing about filtering is that yes there's an imbalance, but that's because Mileage Plus has so many more outstanding miles than any other Star carrier. Why? Probably has a lot to do with the fact that they have a very popular branded credit card. If we really want less of an imbalance, forget getting rid of miles on cheap tickets, how about less CC's (of course it's profitable, so that doesn't make sense, but the point remains unchanged).

Surely the main reason of the imbalance is due to the poor products by UA. UA is an American airlines, and most of its customers are Americans, and they will most likely originate their trips from America, where there are more UA flights than any other Star airlines combined. If their product is anywhere as good as SQ, why would people opt for OA instead of UA?

mcgahat Sep 11, 2008 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Axey (Post 10297205)
All of OZ is blocked right now. Haven't been able to find a single route available the past week, no matter where, when or in what class. Ditto for SQ.

United really is making it difficult to burn my miles

Had a similar problem all month with OZ. Showing plenty of availabiity on ANA from ORD-ICN and LAX-ICN but agents tell me daily it is not available.

melampus83 Sep 11, 2008 9:11 am

What I find interesting is that UA does not block Air New Zealand flights. I saw two C seats available yesterday and had no problems confirming them.

Chapel Hill Guy Sep 11, 2008 9:19 am

I've actually had good luck with OZ C seats. Originally booked two C seats JFK-ICN vv with no problems. Later had to change to LAX-ICN and ICN-SEA, again no problems as UA was seeing what I was seeing on ANA.

I also had a segment HAN-ICN on the same itinerary that was originally booked in Y and when I checked ANA one day and saw two C seats, I called and got those as well.

Had similar experience on same itinerary with TG ICN-BKK and BKK-HAN.

Maybe I'm special. ;)

Originally Posted by mcgahat (Post 10349813)
Had a similar problem all month with OZ. Showing plenty of availabiity on ANA from ORD-ICN and LAX-ICN but agents tell me daily it is not available.

rjque Sep 11, 2008 9:29 am

Originally Posted by melampus83 (Post 10350534)
What I find interesting is that UA does not block Air New Zealand flights. I saw two C seats available yesterday and had no problems confirming them.

Incorrect. Try booking LAX-LHR on NZ.

mcgahat Sep 11, 2008 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy (Post 10350588)
I've actually had good luck with OZ C seats. Originally booked two C seats JFK-ICN vv with no problems. Later had to change to LAX-ICN and ICN-SEA, again no problems as UA was seeing what I was seeing on ANA.

I also had a segment HAN-ICN on the same itinerary that was originally booked in Y and when I checked ANA one day and saw two C seats, I called and got those as well.

Had similar experience on same itinerary with TG ICN-BKK and BKK-HAN.

Maybe I'm special. ;)

You must be special! I tried all month from various ports and also coudnt get NGO-ICN on OZ which showed lots of availability on ANA site.