Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA filtering NH, OZ, SQ and TG???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by funOFflying
DO you remember, may be 2-2.5 year ago UA announced with fanfare special inventory for 1K and saver award availability on every UA flight?

I have been trying to book business saver award on SFO-SYD route for May 2009 with no success. Nothing is available, but seat map shows empty business.
Policy was quietly reversed, i guess?
We are taken for a ride again and again. UA makes loud announces but they seem to filled with empty promises. New route to Moscow in press release some time ago!!!
It is postponed now , but just try to find this information on UA website.
They did say this, you're right. But notice the wording: Saying there would be award seats on every flight doesn't say there will be premium cabin award seats on every flight...
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: 1K-whatever it worth
My last 5c

I was trying to book saver award in business from MOW to SFO a month ago for July2008.
Let me tel you about my ordeal with UA filters.
First of all UA doesn't fly to Moscow, it means you can check availability. I was only able to see LHR, FRA-SFO. Inventory was non existent. Had learned about ANA tool (Thank you ANA!!!). It showed availability on FRA-SFO on LH.
I had tried hard to convince them to find it but (as i know from this thread now ) even 1K desk agents aren't allowed to see and book it So no help on MOW-FRA-SFO route. Kept researching and calling.
Ended up with a very dedicated 1K agent who was very attentive, knowledgeable and wiling to help. She found MOW-LHR-DEN-SFO. Thank you my angel!!!!
It took me a week and 15 calls to 1K desk to find and book it finally.
Lesson learned:
Research information
be persistent
But the most important to end up with really professional, knowledgeable and not lazy UA booking agent
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: 1K-whatever it worth
Originally Posted by as219
They did say this, you're right. But notice the wording: Saying there would be award seats on every flight doesn't say there will be premium cabin award seats on every flight...
You have a good point!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by funOFflying
DO you remember, may be 2-2.5 year ago UA announced with fanfare special inventory for 1K and saver award availability on every UA flight?

I have been trying to book business saver award on SFO-SYD route for May 2009 with no success. Nothing is available, but seat map shows empty business.
Policy was quietly reversed, i guess?
Special inventory is only for coach and it still exists (search for NY IIRC)
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
Originally Posted by as219
I don't know if it's technically correct to say that your routing is "illegal," but it's certainly RTW. Although you will find agents who will book SQ25/26 at TPAC levels, they're not supposed to, and once it's caught by an agent, you won't lose it but you can't change it. You might get lucky by calling back, but tread lightly...
Today I went to the airport CSR and got my 'Paper Tix' converted to e-Tix. After researching for the past 3 days, I found some uncommon routes via CAI (Egypt, by MS) to DPS by SQ via SIN. Plenty of availability all around-the-year.

The same problem from even the 1K desk. In one of those 15 to 20 calls, one agent even refuse to accept the fact EgyptAir is an *A member. I thought the 'call again and again and again...' was applicable only to ICC, but what a disappoinment. Even at the 1K desk you gotta use that rule!!!

After so many calls, I got an agent who was able to do the change of routing / itenarary the way I wanted, and all in C

I being new to this game, I felt it like a BIG achievement.

PS - The Good News - new partners bring a lot of fresh award inventory.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by RSSRNotInIndia
Then why don't those multiple FTers respond with the name of that United exec and an account of what was said....
Nah.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:09 am

I had success today getting 2 business return award seats from Brisbane to Hanoi - no problem getting the dates I wanted - thank God being 1K ,I only had taxes to pay.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ozflier
I had success today getting 2 business return award seats from Brisbane to Hanoi - no problem getting the dates I wanted - thank God being 1K ,I only had taxes to pay.
There has never been a problem with SQ intra-Asia.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by holtju2
There has never been a problem with SQ intra-Asia.
I agree, and it's not really a problem intra-Europe (unless you're reliant on LH) or intra-America. It's the long-haul stuff that is really difficult.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:50 pm

Brisbane to Hanoi can be considered semi long haul?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by aurigakb
Brisbane to Hanoi can be considered semi long haul?
Haha. At least! It's about the same distance as DEN-LHR or IAD-GIG....
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
OZ ICN-SFO blocked

Just ran into OZ ICN-SFO being blocked for an economy award. Shows as available on ANA. Gave the agent the exact flight number and departure time and the agent said there is no OZ flight ICN-SFO. Of course there is, but UA is blocking it since UA also operates ICN-SFO. But the UA flight leaves too early to make the connection at ICN I was trying to build.

Last edited by BayAreaPilot; Sep 2, 2008 at 2:48 am
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot
UA is blocking it since UA also operates ICN-SFO.
It's a mistake to believe that UA only blocks partner redemption on routes they operate themselves.... If only.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by BayAreaPilot
Just ran into OZ ICN-SFO being blocked for an economy award. Shows as available on ANA. Gave the agent the exact flight number and departure time and the agent said there is no OZ flight ICN-SFO. Of course there is, but UA is blocking it since UA also operates ICN-SFO. But the UA flight leaves too early to make the connection at ICN I was trying to build.
All of OZ is blocked right now. Haven't been able to find a single route available the past week, no matter where, when or in what class. Ditto for SQ.

United really is making it difficult to burn my miles
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by gleff
It's a mistake to believe that UA only blocks partner redemption on routes they operate themselves.... If only.
exactly, couldn't find any seats on FRA-BLR on LH, when ANA showed 4 seats avalable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.