UA filtering NH, OZ, SQ and TG???

 

Old Jul 15, 08, 7:37 am
  #46  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LHR
Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by holtju2 View Post
If the flight is available on GDS X/I/O booking classes, although blocked by the simple Starnet search, it will come back as confirmed (HK) when manual sell is done.
This sounds like the magic solution for getting ANA availability to match UA. However, I asked five different agents to try a manual sell but none of them would do it. Do you have some advice on how to convince them?
Karter is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 10:04 am
  #47  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,218
There have been multiple memos instructing agents not to perform manual sells. Asking straight up for a manual sell is unlikely to be a useful technique.
gleff is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 10:52 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 8,788
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Do you have some advice on how to convince them?
from some of the other posts regarding the instructions not to do manual sells your best bet is find someone who is on their last day.
ryan182 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 1:08 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Too many
Programs: Lots
Posts: 5,751
Originally Posted by RSSRNotInIndia View Post
Please provide hard proof (not just speculative conclusions) that
- UA filters award availability
A United Executive telling multiple FTers about the filtering at the Freddies is not a "speculative conclusion."

Everything that we've been told equates into award ticket values negating each other.
That's the whole point of filtering. When the values get off-balance, United has to pay out cold, hard cash to OA's. They don't want to do this. Hence the random times of the month that these filters kick into place.
Axey is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 1:59 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SMF - N. California
Programs: SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Posts: 1,938
Originally Posted by Axey View Post
A United Executive telling multiple FTers about the filtering at the Freddies is not a "speculative conclusion."



That's the whole point of filtering. When the values get off-balance, United has to pay out cold, hard cash to OA's. They don't want to do this. Hence the random times of the month that these filters kick into place.
Maybe the long term solution lies in UA giving away fewer miles on cheaper tickets, much like many of their *A counterparts do.

At least that way, not everyone is penalized by Starnet filtering.
CommittedLurker is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 2:03 pm
  #51  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,996
The dumb thing about filtering is that yes there's an imbalance, but that's because Mileage Plus has so many more outstanding miles than any other Star carrier. Why? Probably has a lot to do with the fact that they have a very popular branded credit card. If we really want less of an imbalance, forget getting rid of miles on cheap tickets, how about less CC's (of course it's profitable, so that doesn't make sense, but the point remains unchanged).
lucky9876coins is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 2:15 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HPN
Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Posts: 3,194
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker View Post
Maybe the long term solution lies in UA giving away fewer miles on cheaper tickets, much like many of their *A counterparts do.
In essence, UA's miles are worth less than other *A carrier's miles because it is easy to amass a lot of them without paying a lot. But that's not just due to full mileage credit for cheap fares. For instance, by spending ~$35k per year on a platinum visa, I rake in more than 50,000 miles, for just $140. And don't forget double flight miles for 1Ps and above. I'd hate it if UA took these perks away, but OTOH, I'd also like hassle-free *A bookings.

In my frustration at trying (so far unsuccessfully) to get 3 people on a *A F award to Asia or Africa, I've begun to realize that 700,000 UA miles are worth only about half that in *A miles. The logic behind this calculation is that I can get a UA standard award for about double the saver rate, and I can get all 3 of us in F to somewhere really nice (say, BKK or SIN), albeit on UA. Sure, it's frustrating that *A awards on better carriers can be had for many fewer miles (and indeed I will keep trying before drinking the Standard Award kool-aid), but I've resigned myself to the fact that UA's miles are worth much less than I thought a few years ago when I began accumulating them.
snic is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 3:25 pm
  #53  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: Nah.
Posts: 13,888
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
The dumb thing about filtering is that yes there's an imbalance, but that's because Mileage Plus has so many more outstanding miles than any other Star carrier. Why? Probably has a lot to do with the fact that they have a very popular branded credit card. If we really want less of an imbalance, forget getting rid of miles on cheap tickets, how about less CC's (of course it's profitable, so that doesn't make sense, but the point remains unchanged).
As for a proposal that does make sense, instead of getting rid of the profitable CC's, I'd expect to see (very) unprofitable fares earn no miles. W and below or something like that.
qasr is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 4:23 pm
  #54  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LHR
Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by qasr View Post
As for a proposal that does make sense, instead of getting rid of the profitable CC's, I'd expect to see (very) unprofitable fares earn no miles. W and below or something like that.
No!!! This turns Mileage Plus into a rich person's club rather than a loyalty club. I'm the kind of person that earns 1P (or 1K twice ) because I fly UA a lot, not because I spend that much. GS is a special status to recognise spend over loyalty, and I accept this distinction.

My in-laws travel to the US from the UK about 3 times a year, earning them 2P. They absolutely are thrilled with UA for access to Econ+ and priority check-in. There's no way that they'd ever pay more for a Q than a W just to earn miles though. If they had to make that choice then they'd just go with another cheaper airline, eg KLM. I don't suppose they spend more than $3000 a year on UA but I at least have appreciated the fact that even these 2P customers are treated well by UA and rewarded by Mileage Plus. I'd hate to see that go and I would really encourage UA to find other ways to cut costs.

I'd suggest, for example, raising the cost of award tickets. 50,000 miles for a Europe-America XY award is a bit of a bargain. As a 1P, including mileage bonuses, it takes just 2 1/2 return trips from LHR-LAX to earn 50,000. Easy. Every return trip I take on this route gets me enough for an internal European flight which I use wisely, eg LHR-TBS/EVN/ALA/SVX/etc for just 20,000. I love it, but I'd rather give that up than mileage accrual across all classes.
Karter is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 5:58 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,051
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
The dumb thing about filtering is that yes there's an imbalance, but that's because Mileage Plus has so many more outstanding miles than any other Star carrier. Why? Probably has a lot to do with the fact that they have a very popular branded credit card. If we really want less of an imbalance, forget getting rid of miles on cheap tickets, how about less CC's (of course it's profitable, so that doesn't make sense, but the point remains unchanged).
If anything FTers only benefit from filtering. Imaging the world where a regular uneducated (in the dark art of redemption) flier calls in redeeming his/her miles constantly depleting the inventory. Oh horror!

At least right now those in the know and with enough patience can find the way to redeem on SQ, LH and such.
azepine00 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 6:03 pm
  #56  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,996
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
If anything FTers only benefit from filtering.
Do you work in the UA marketing department?
lucky9876coins is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 6:11 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,051
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
Do you work in the UA marketing department?
i would offer my consulting services if requested..
azepine00 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 6:16 pm
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,021
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
If anything FTers only benefit from filtering. Imaging the world where a regular uneducated (in the dark art of redemption) flier calls in redeeming his/her miles constantly depleting the inventory. Oh horror!

At least right now those in the know and with enough patience can find the way to redeem on SQ, LH and such.
I disagree. 60+ phone calls to MP last fall didn't result in getting a filtered LH return before my departure date. Given the no changes after departure rule, a released seat is of no use after travel has begun.
rjque is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 6:43 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,242
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
If anything FTers only benefit from filtering. to .
More Kool Aid please.
worldtrav is offline  
Old Jul 15, 08, 6:52 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,242
Originally Posted by RSSRNotInIndia View Post
I personally expect UA to match the "fuel surcharges" imposed on award tickets by DL & NW. I don't like it -- I accrue UA mileage myself (mostly via partners, like the CC, and also from the occasional flight I pay for) and I don't have any "inside" information but I would be shocked if they didn't match.
Ummm, the $25 fee JAaron is talking about is not a fuel surcharge. It's the ticketing fee for issuing a Star Alliance ticket. As there is no ability to book and ticket these online many feel it is not appropriate to charge this fee. All other reservations that can be booked and ticketed online don't incur this fee, that is not an option with *A tickets.
worldtrav is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread