Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more direct SFO-TPE flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by kaichun1216
Considering the crazy oil price now, BR and CI may not be cheap as the old time. However, their premium cabin fare are still cheaper. (Maybe I should say premium cabin on long haul flight to and from TPE is cheaper than other markets.)

Last October, I purchased CI's LAX-TPE C class RT ticket for only $2,720. My TA told me BR is slightly higher than CI, and SQ's C class is over $5,000. Now, CI's business class climbs to $3,600. BR is still slightly higher than CI, and SQ is about $6,000.

If you buy C class at Taiwan, all CI/BR/SQ are between $3,600 and $4,000. CX and JL even provide lower C class fare (between $2,700 and $3,300) in Taiwan if you transfer through HKG/NRT.

The problem is on UA busines+first are many upgrades, most paid business passengers from Taiwan fly CI/BR then SQ/MH/NW. Its interesting that Northwest Airlines will increase Taiwan serivce in the fall. I think part of of it marketing, NWA has better Taiwan only web site and promotions, the UA Taiwan web site is very poor with info and promos.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
That's true. But I get a feeling that people who fly from Mainland China to Taiwan will be subjected to harsher immigration check......
I don't see why, especially for an American flying PRC >> ROC, heck, there's not even a visa requirement for Americans in ROC (I think it's still 90 days on arrival).
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:42 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kaichun1216
Considering the crazy oil price now, BR and CI may not be cheap as the old time. However, their premium cabin fare are still cheaper. (Maybe I should say premium cabin on long haul flight to and from TPE is cheaper than other markets.)
Oh! Yeah, now that you mention it, CI and BR do sell cheaper C.
But their Y costs more than UA, or about as much, I think.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:46 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
I don't see why, especially for an American flying PRC >> ROC, heck, there's not even a visa requirement for Americans in ROC (I think it's still 90 days on arrival).
I don't see why either. I don't think the people who fly flown PRC>ROC via the popular HKG routing get treated any more harshly, so I don't think a direct flight would give reason for harsher treatment.

I think it's 30 days for US visa waiver though.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Taipei
The problem is on UA busines+first are many upgrades, most paid business passengers from Taiwan fly CI/BR then SQ/MH/NW. Its interesting that Northwest Airlines will increase Taiwan serivce in the fall. I think part of of it marketing, NWA has better Taiwan only web site and promotions, the UA Taiwan web site is very poor with info and promos.
I don't know whether that's true or not. Many time X and I inventory are all 0. SFO-TPE is pretty good for technology traveller from Silicon Valley. My parents who used to get lots of Op-ups flying through NRT didn't get any after TPE-SFO reinstated because agents say F and C all full.

I am wondering is it because the demand for NRT-TPE reduced dramatically after SFO-TPE restarted? Some poster mentioned UA like to park the NRT flight in TPE because it's cheaper, maybe that's the reason?

Although CI has cheaper tickets, many people prefer other airline over CI due to their safety record.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Same experience... since they reinstated the nonstop SFO-TPE, I've never seen an empty seat in any cabin.
Really? I got op-ups twice
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:00 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
US citizens (and a number of others) can enter Taiwan without a visa (or, technically, you get a landing visa upon arrival), for up to 30 days.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Hiro32
Really? I got op-ups twice
Congratulations, I'm happy for you. It doesn't change that I've never seen an empty seat on any SFO-TPE flight since reinstatement, not even in E.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just learned (from FT's Other Asian Carrier forum) that Eva is cutting a numebr frequencies to LAX and SFO...... on top of SQ discontinuing TPE-LAX and UA's cut.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
That's true. But I get a feeling that people who fly from Mainland China to Taiwan will be subjected to harsher immigration check......
Nothing compared to the BS everyone puts up with when they fly to USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.