Wiki Posts
Search

No more direct SFO-TPE flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 8:20 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
And, don't forget, BR actually offers a separate E+ products with 38" pitch, legrest, and better food. For only a few hundred more (1.5x price of E), it's a bargain if you ask me.
I wouldn't call 50% extra fare a "bargain" for 5" more legroom, the little legrest, and slightly better food. I would call it okay.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Actually, I've found that it's much easier to get both awards and upgrades to TPE on the flights via NRT (because there are so many ways to get to NRT as long as you are flexible on your routing) than it ever was on the SFO-TPE nonstop.
The hard part is finding "regular award space" on nrt-tpe leg. UA is dropping its nrt-tpe service, and sending traffic to ANA. I've had to book 2 separate times recently, and it took awhile. I've even had to book separate nrt-tpe leg as biz class seat on ANA --> when I got on, coach class was completely jam-packed for the 2.5hr flight, but biz class was 1/2 empty.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by npei
UA is dropping its nrt-tpe service, and sending traffic to ANA.
Uh....I think UA is going to bring back NRT-TPE service after they terminate SFO-TPE. However, you're right, NRT-TPE award availability is more difficult to obtain than SFO-TPE.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
TPE is no longer a destination with premium traffic. It makes perfect sense to have NRT as a transit point just like flights to BKK and SIN.

By consolidating all the passengers from North America into NRT, and have one single flight to TPE. For example, someone like me who lives in South Florida. Now I can fly MIA-ORD-NRT-TPE on UA. If SFO is the only choice to TPE, there is no way to get to SFO from South Florida on UA for me. It is too late for me to do MIA-ORD-SFO and catching SFO-TPE. Now I can even do MIA-IAD-NRT-TPE.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
TPE is no longer a destination with premium traffic. It makes perfect sense to have NRT as a transit point just like flights to BKK and SIN.
TPE has no premium traffic? And yet it did last year, when the SFO-TPE route was initiated? Based on what information?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by npei
The hard part is finding "regular award space" on nrt-tpe leg. UA is dropping its nrt-tpe service, and sending traffic to ANA.
UA droppned NRT-TPE a few months ago after opening SFO-TPE. Now that SFO-TPE is being dropped, NRT-TPE is reopened.

TBH, I haven't had much experience looking for XC or XF space on NRT-TPE, so I don't know the numbers for those, but during the 2-3 years I was flying that route, I think every flight I searched had XY9 NF9 NC9 at least a month out.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TPE has no premium traffic? And yet it did last year, when the SFO-TPE route was initiated? Based on what information?
I was talking to my travel agent/UA Consolidator who has been a UA consolidator for about 15 years. She told me that Y has been pretty full due to large population of Taiwanese living in the US who travel frequently to the US; however, C and F have been a different story in recent years. It has been pretty frustrating for UA that premium traffic has been up and down and has never been consistent. This latest SFO-TPE direct flight is the third attempt in the past six years. For example, current SFO-TPE loads in the front cabins have been low, but more importantly cargo traffic has been down to keep the route profitable.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know exactly how much UA sells out on these cabin but the last few times my parents traveled that route, the plane has been pretty full, even in business class. SWU has failed a couple of times, and no more op-ups. Previously when they travelled through NRT, lots of op-ups.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:24 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by beanex
I don't know exactly how much UA sells out on these cabin but the last few times my parents traveled that route, the plane has been pretty full, even in business class. SWU has failed a couple of times, and no more op-ups. Previously when they travelled through NRT, lots of op-ups.
Same experience... since they reinstated the nonstop SFO-TPE, I've never seen an empty seat in any cabin.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:21 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
During its brief revival, TPE-SFO premium cabins seemed pretty full to me. Of course, I don't know who else was upgraded. TPE-NRT ought to be pretty easy to upgrade, in my opinion. Which is not necessarily the case for NRT to US cities.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to see loads are high based on the posts here, but one has to wonder why it is being dropped, and why the direct service can not be consistently maintained. Is UA making the mistake?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:53 am

the sfo-tpe is full because...

...they massively oversell coach and op-up people to business and first. (that is, any business paid pax they upgrade to first, and they upgrade pax coach to business). Basically, there's little paid premium demand, but LOTS of demand for cheap coach. BR and CI, while great, offer CHEAP fares that depress yields for everybody, UA included. that' why the nonstops from the USA on UA, while popular, are NOT profitable and are being eliminated.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by jasondc
BR and CI, while great, offer CHEAP fares that depress yields for everybody, UA included. that' why the nonstops from the USA on UA, while popular, are NOT profitable and are being eliminated.
I don't think that BR and CI are particularly cheap airlines, but they do offer better seating, food, and IFE than UA does.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It has been pretty frustrating for UA that premium traffic has been up and down and has never been consistent. This latest SFO-TPE direct flight is the third attempt in the past six years.
I'm not sure what your travel agent means? UA has definitely not reopened the SFO-TPE nonstop three times in six years. They had a "direct" via NGO, but that was effectively a connection. The connection time was long too (2-3 hours).
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:13 am

I don't think that BR and CI are particularly cheap airlines, but they do offer better seating, food, and IFE than UA does.
Considering the crazy oil price now, BR and CI may not be cheap as the old time. However, their premium cabin fare are still cheaper. (Maybe I should say premium cabin on long haul flight to and from TPE is cheaper than other markets.)

Last October, I purchased CI's LAX-TPE C class RT ticket for only $2,720. My TA told me BR is slightly higher than CI, and SQ's C class is over $5,000. Now, CI's business class climbs to $3,600. BR is still slightly higher than CI, and SQ is about $6,000.

If you buy C class at Taiwan, all CI/BR/SQ are between $3,600 and $4,000. CX and JL even provide lower C class fare (between $2,700 and $3,300) in Taiwan if you transfer through HKG/NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.